Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:01 AM

41 posts, read 72,470 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need good reviews on 3 places to road trip.

which one is the BEST to drive good 9 hrs or so from Toronto to:

- Ocean City MD
- Ocean City NJ
- Boston --> is there a beach here.

I have been to Virginia Beach, Daytona Beach, etc. We love Virginia Beach because of the boardwalk and hotel proximity to the beach, also the crowd and the whole atmosphere is just nice.

My question is, if you are travelling with a family of 5, who work really hard and travelling on an extremely tight budget, and you are looking to lie down on a beach and soak the sun and dip in an ocean and also enjoy a boardwalk at night, where would you recommend.

I don't want to re-post to NJ, or MD, however, if you think i can get more reviews in that forum let me know.

thanks.
ayicho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:13 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Beaches in Massachusetts don't compare favorably to beaches further south, at least in terms of the beach activities you're looking for. You won't find anything like Virginia Beach in Massachusetts. Maybe New Jersey, more likely Maryland. I'd really suggest posting on those forums.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayicho View Post
My question is, if you are travelling with a family of 5, who work really hard and travelling on an extremely tight budget, and you are looking to lie down on a beach and soak the sun and dip in an ocean and also enjoy a boardwalk at night, where would you recommend.
Ocean City, Maryland. There are a lot of water sports and family friendly activities there. Not that Ocean City, New Jersey isn't good. It's just that the water temperature in Maryland is likely to be a little warmer and August is the perfect time for this.

Prepare for traffic and crowds. That's the only downside.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
If you can go a little farther, Myrtle Beach, SC, has what you are looking for. Being on a tight budget, it will be more affordable. There is plenty to do with lots of free things. There is a boardwalk with live entertainment every night during the summer months. Broadway at the beach with free live entertainment. The rooms are very affordable and many include a kitchen, a lazy river, water slide, etc. If you go off season, the prices really drop on hotels but the weather is still beautiful and the ocean is warm.

Festivals Details - Myrtle Beach Boardwalk

Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach - Shopping, dining, nightlife, entertainment in one place!
What's happening at Broadway at the Beach

Old 08-07-2015, 10:12 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I didn't like Myrtle Beach enough to drive that far away. It was fun, nice, but I don't think I'd want to drive there from Canada.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Boston doesn't have much in the way of beaches, but there are some surprisingly decent ones in the suburbs. But probably won't be the beach vacation you are looking for.
Neither Ocean City or Ocean Beach are very attractive towns, although the beaches are great.
I'd go for something else like Cape May, NJ, or Rehoboth Beach Delaware.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Boston doesn't have much in the way of beaches, but there are some surprisingly decent ones in the suburbs. But probably won't be the beach vacation you are looking for.
Neither Ocean City or Ocean Beach are very attractive towns, although the beaches are great.
I'd go for something else like Cape May, NJ, or Rehoboth Beach Delaware.
Rehoboth Beach gets extremely crowded this time of year. And the hotel prices go up as high as in Ocean City, MD.

Everybody from New York to Virginia heads to those beaches it seems.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:38 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
They're all crowded this time of year.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:33 PM

41 posts, read 72,470 times
thank you all of the replies, i think i will look into: Rehoboth Beach Delaware, it never crossed my mind. i will google it for more information.
oh summer with kids:-) and road trip.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
IMO Rehobeth is more spread out. It is basically known as a tax free shopping zone. Rehobeth and Ocean City MD can be sort of done together as they are about 45 minutes apart.

One thing I like about Ocean City, MD (I am a bit biased as I live here) is that the town and most of it's activities are located on a barrier island that is not even 1/2 mile wide, so you can basically stay in a hotel on the bayside to save a few bucks but still walk to the beach on the ocean side. there is also a bus service that runs the whole length of the town and has stops every other block or so every 10 or 15 minutes so you don't really need a car. The boardwalk is also about 2 1/4 miles long and has all the typical boardwalky things on the lower half.

I'm bringing this up because you mentioned loving Va Beach, and similarily (though all of Va Beach is more spread out), the strip where the hotels are at is in a way similar to Ocean City, MD in the way everything is close to the beach. Ocean City, MD is also a very safe, family oriented place with all sorts of activities in close proximity to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.