Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM

28 posts, read 69,322 times

Advertisements

I know many cities here are not very accepting of interracial couples and it can be frowned upon and very rare in many cities.

But which cities in the US would you probably say has the most interracial couples in the US from your experience(based on what you've seen)...specifically black male/white woman.

I'd appreciate any feedback...and please no negativity or rude sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 01:23 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Interracial Couples in the United States . . . By the Numbers | MadameNoire

Old 08-09-2015, 01:26 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
They're very, very, VERY common here in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
They're very, very, VERY common here in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia.
I can attest to that.

They are also very common in the Atlanta area. As well as New Orleans and Houston, just to name a couple of cities that pop into my head.

They're super common around any large military installation because interracial marriage itself is so common in the military, which is one reason they're so common in the Hampton Roads area.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:01 PM

That black section is very odd because they mention 3 areas and I can confirm that that isnt true. The dmv area is VERY segregated blacks stick with blacks and whites stick with whites.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can attest to that.

They are also very common in the Atlanta area. As well as New Orleans and Houston, just to name a couple of cities that pop into my head.

They're super common around any large military installation because interracial marriage itself is so common in the military, which is one reason they're so common in the Hampton Roads area.
Really I've never seen them in any of the areas you mentioned. Statistically cities with large African-American communities have lower interracial couples than areas with majority white populations

Old 08-09-2015, 05:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Here in the NYC area, it's very common.

Every time you go out to the malls in the suburbs, you're pretty much guaranteed to see at least 2 pairings of the 'black man-white woman' combo. When you walk around Manhattan, it's even more common. Other popular pairings around here are 'white man-asian woman' and 'black man-latin woman'.

Personally, almost everybody that i've dated were of another race than me and i've never really felt unusual for it.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 08-09-2015 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 05:38 PM

159 posts, read 279,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobby View Post
That black section is very odd because they mention 3 areas and I can confirm that that isnt true. The dmv area is VERY segregated blacks stick with blacks and whites stick with whites.
Hmm

DC has a lot of black professionals. College educated black MEN have a reputation for marrying white girls.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Virginia has a looooooooong history of racial intermixing. There is even a town in the state called Passing, named after the phenomenon of mixed kids living as white in the day but going back and living in black homes:

Map of Passing VA | Passing Virginia | MapQuest.com

It is worth noting that the couple behind Loving vs. Virginia was from this area, and one of the reasons why their marriage was no big deal to them is because the races had been mixing (informally) for a very long time.

http://www.biography.com/people/mildred-loving-5884

I see a lot of mixed couples in DMV. A LOT. The federal government tends to hire veterans, and a lot of people who have been in the armed forces are in racially mixed environments and it's no big deal for them to marry someone who doesn't look like them. That attitude is all over the DMV area, co-existing with the strong black community there.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:45 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Hampton Roads/VA Beach metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.