Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
If you're black (which I think you are), then I can see how and why you think Florida is Southern.

There are also a few other black posters from the South on City-Data who assert that Florida has lots of Southern culture because their context is Florida's African-American community.

In much of Florida - outside of the South Florida metropolitan area, of course - the African-American community is definitively Southern in accent/dialect, cuisine, faith and other customs and traditions. So if that's your context, I can understand why you think Florida is primarily Southern in culture.

However, outside of the Panhandle, the north-central and inland southern areas of the state (which account for a relatively small portion of Florida's overall population, mind you), most white and certainly Hispanic adults were not born in Florida. And for those that were, very few can trace their roots to other Southern states.

I hate to break it to you, but Southern culture - like any culture - simply cannot exist without the people, and there are very few Southerners in the major metro areas of Florida where most of the state's residents live.
I don't honestly really agree that the blacks in South Florida are not as Southern. My family lived in both Dade and Broward. Didn't act much different than the people of the rest of the South. They identified with the South more than they did with any other region. They were however different as the influence with the Caribbean Blacks were there. But then as polo89 has said countless times and he's Haitian, even the Caribbean Blacks in South Florida are influenced by the Southern Blacks heavily.

But yes, that's how I look at Florida. From a perspective of being Black. Most of the Blacks especially outside of South Florida have an accent that is similar to the South. Cut words off, lazy tongue, etc. I hear it in Orlando, Tampa, Port St Lucie. Words like mane for man is said by my Aunt and she was born and raised in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 03:07 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Aside from sharing a border with Mexico, similar geography in some parts (desert) and huge Hispanic demographics.. no. NOTHING like California, which as far as I'm concerned, is an A plus.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:49 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, but you are on the path to become California expensive.
Not even close. Texas is cheap.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Texas is more like Florida than any other state honestly.
Or georgia. I'd say more Georgia than Florida. I think Texas has a lot of deep south roots.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Or georgia. I'd say more Georgia than Florida. I think Texas has a lot of deep south roots.
Florida from about Ocala northward is most definitely the Deep South, south of that point is transplantville that most people know. I remember the first time I was in Jacksonville, though it was 15 years ago, was eating at a Waffle House, and the line cook was wearing a Confederate Flag baseball cap. Told me I wasn't in NY anymore lol

Old 07-30-2016, 03:57 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Houston weather sucks. It's a bit better than Dallas, but that's akin to being the next to last person in that movie, The Human Centipede.

I disagree on that. I prefer the Dallas area weather by a long shot. It's drier in the summer and has actual seasons. Houston's weather is preferable to New Orleans and Miami to me, but otherwise I'd hate to live there.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I disagree on that. I prefer the Dallas area weather by a long shot. It's drier in the summer and has actual seasons. Houston's weather is preferable to New Orleans and Miami to me, but otherwise I'd hate to live there.
It's not THAT MUCH drier, Dallas still has an average dewpoint of 71° in July, better than Houstons 74°, but not DRY or even moderate by any stretch of the imagination

Old 07-30-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Florida from about Ocala northward is most definitely the Deep South, south of that point is transplantville that most people know. I remember the first time I was in Jacksonville, though it was 15 years ago, was eating at a Waffle House, and the line cook was wearing a Confederate Flag baseball cap. Told me I wasn't in NY anymore lol
I think everything except Miami in Florida is deep south. Even Orlando.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's about equal with Florida and Georgia. Pretty much only East Texas has Deep South roots. Interesting you say Orlando has deep south roots though.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's not THAT MUCH drier, Dallas still has an average dewpoint of 71° in July, better than Houstons 74°, but not DRY or even moderate by any stretch of the imagination
I think he is focusing on afternoon tempo. In the middle of a July and August day in Dallas, the humidity is around the lower 40s higher 30s and dew point can drop well into the 60s and sometimes 50s. But Dallas temps are higher too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.