Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The heat isn't ideal, but once you consider that the real bad heat lasts for less than a month on average (late July to early August), you see that the Houston heat isn't really that bad at all. In normal summers, periodic thunderstorms are a guarantee, and those, along with thick natural shade, and some breeze from the Gulf, alleviates the Heat. One can live in Houston without the need for A/C, especially near the coastal districts (Kemah, Clear Lake, Galveston, etc).

Areas of LA away from the coast can see some serious heat during summer; record temps for those inland areas, including the downtown, and other areas of the San Fernando Valley, have been as high as 115F or higher, hotter than anything seen in Houston. However, the average highs for much of the area are more pleasant during summer than Houston's, although some inland areas, like Burbank, have basically identical summer highs to Houston.

About the universities, were UT and TAMU invested at the expense of funds that could have gone to UH and other state schools by Texas? I've always heard about UH not being up to its potential, due to it not having the funds that went to UT and TAMU.
Do you think the millions of people who praise and covet Southern California weather are just kidding themselves? Likewise, are all the people who hate Houston's humid swamp weather simply lacking the enlightenment that it's actually nice?

Assuming everyone else is delusional is the surest sign of delusion there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
It wasn't really "stolen" from anyone. Except for the natives of course. California was settled by Spaniards originally. It was only Mexican territory for 25 years before it became part of the United States.

I don't know a whole lot about Texas other than it was a sovereign nation at one point.
Pretty much the same for Texas. Mexico didn't have it as long as people think.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Do you think the millions of people who praise and covet Southern California weather are just kidding themselves? Likewise, are all the people who hate Houston's humid swamp weather simply lacking the enlightenment that it's actually nice?

Assuming everyone else is delusional is the surest sign of delusion there is.
Yes, and yes.

The praise and covet for SoCal weather should be reserved only for the coast, for that is really where the whole "mild year-round" concept applies to the fullest. Anywhere inland from the immediate California coast, and you will be in territory prone to some serious heat during summer, where temps can get hotter than even areas of Texas like Austin, or San Antonio.

Houston's heat isn't ideal either, but its really only the period from late July to early August where the window is open for the conditions people really complain about when hating Houston's weather. The rest of the year is tame compared to that period.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Yes, and yes.

The praise and covet for SoCal weather should be reserved only for the coast, for that is really where the whole "mild year-round" concept applies to the fullest. Anywhere inland from the immediate California coast, and you will be in territory prone to some serious heat during summer, where temps can get hotter than even areas of Texas like Austin, or San Antonio.

Houston's heat isn't ideal either, but its really only the period from late July to early August where the window is open for the conditions people really complain about when hating Houston's weather. The rest of the year is tame compared to that period.
I'm jealous of love you have for this city. It's completely destroyed your sense of reality.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Yes, and yes.

Ah, but you are completely negating that oppressive humidity in Houston. You also keep forgetting that you are talking to someone who spent his entire adult life there. I know what the weather is in Houston and no amount of your weird comments can actually change the weather.

For me personally, LA weather is not ideal, but many millions love it, dream about it and covet it. It is warm, without the humidity--similar to Wine Country here in Northern California. I certainly enjoy a weekend across the bridge into upper 80s-90s, low humidity, with a nice breeze through the valleys. That's pretty similar to much of the LA basin, and down to San Diego. By most measures, it's near perfect. I actually enjoy SF's cooler breezes much more, 40 minutes to the south. But, it's nice to have some variation readily available.

Regardless, Houston weather is a swampy, sticky, sweat-through-your-crotch mess in comparison.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:12 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
No. California is very forward looking. Texas for the most prefers to look backwards.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:49 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
No. California is very forward looking. Texas for the most prefers to look backwards.
50% wrong.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
In Texas' dream.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I'm jealous of love you have for this city. It's completely destroyed your sense of reality.
Not only am I fond of Houston, I am fond of the city's climate as well. It is a subtropical paradise, just like New Orleans, Tampa, Charleston, and the rest of the Coastal Southeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Ah, but you are completely negating that oppressive humidity in Houston. You also keep forgetting that you are talking to someone who spent his entire adult life there. I know what the weather is in Houston and no amount of your weird comments can actually change the weather.

For me personally, LA weather is not ideal, but many millions love it, dream about it and covet it. It is warm, without the humidity--similar to Wine Country here in Northern California. I certainly enjoy a weekend across the bridge into upper 80s-90s, low humidity, with a nice breeze through the valleys. That's pretty similar to much of the LA basin, and down to San Diego. By most measures, it's near perfect. I actually enjoy SF's cooler breezes much more, 40 minutes to the south. But, it's nice to have some variation readily available.

Regardless, Houston weather is a swampy, sticky, sweat-through-your-crotch mess in comparison.
Oppressive humidity is good for forming clouds, and rain that happen periodically in Houston during summer, offering relief, along with the natural shade, and Gulf breeze. The oppressive humidity actually works to keep high temps at bay; you will never get any high temps above the mid 90s in Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Charleston, etc, so far the high humidity is present. In the times these cities get heatwaves, and reach triple digits, humidity always is below normal levels.

Get away from the immediate coastal areas of California, and the heat is on during summer; look at average temps in areas like Burbank in the 90s during summer, just like New Orleans, Mobile, and Houston. But unlike the Coastal South cities, Burbank, along with the rest of Southern California, has no chance of rain/cloud to relieve the searing summer sun, as summer is the dry season. Not much intensive natural shade as the Coastal South cities either. Temps in So Cal away from the immediate coast also can get far hotter than anything seen in the Coastal South cities, pushing at, or over 116F. That temp is Hell, even if it is with dry heat.

Sweating through your crotch? That says more about what you do in your free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
You are correct, Texas does look backwards; it reflects upon the past so that when planning for the future, the state knows to keep up with the actions that proved successful, while letting go of those that proved detrimental.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:41 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,277 times
You are correct, Texas does look backwards; it reflects upon the past so that when planning for the future, the state knows to keep up with the actions that proved successful, while letting go of those that proved detrimental.[/quote]

Oh, snap, someone call the burn unit!

I am a CA native and just moved to TX a month ago. What other poster's say about the coastal areas in Cali being the only areas with "ideal" weather is true; if you go inland it will get as hot as TX does and it's dry, dusty and brown. Really, really brown. Oh, and don't forget the 80 degree CA Christmas mornings! We will NOT miss those!

For all of you native Texans out there I want to thank you for letting me be a part of this great state. We were embracing the Texas attitude long before we arrived here and now that we are finally here, it's great to be able to really go for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.