Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 11:41 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Do you think the millions of people who praise and covet Southern California weather are just kidding themselves? Likewise, are all the people who hate Houston's humid swamp weather simply lacking the enlightenment that it's actually nice?

Assuming everyone else is delusional is the surest sign of delusion there is.
Probably never been to California. Not many people outside of California understand the concept of microclimates. There is a reason that the coast is kept cool all day and the whole metro cools down at night.

The only way humid Houston was made livable was through air conditioning. I can't imagine living without it, even on the very humid coast. But Las Vegas without air conditioning is not pleasant either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Not only am I fond of Houston, I am fond of the city's climate as well. It is a subtropical paradise, just like New Orleans, Tampa, Charleston, and the rest of the Coastal Southeast.

Oppressive humidity is good for forming clouds, and rain that happen periodically in Houston during summer, offering relief, along with the natural shade, and Gulf breeze. The oppressive humidity actually works to keep high temps at bay; you will never get any high temps above the mid 90s in Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Charleston, etc, so far the high humidity is present. In the times these cities get heatwaves, and reach triple digits, humidity always is below normal levels.

Get away from the immediate coastal areas of California, and the heat is on during summer; look at average temps in areas like Burbank in the 90s during summer, just like New Orleans, Mobile, and Houston. But unlike the Coastal South cities, Burbank, along with the rest of Southern California, has no chance of rain/cloud to relieve the searing summer sun, as summer is the dry season. Not much intensive natural shade as the Coastal South cities either. Temps in So Cal away from the immediate coast also can get far hotter than anything seen in the Coastal South cities, pushing at, or over 116F. That temp is Hell, even if it is with dry heat.

Sweating through your crotch? That says more about what you do in your free time.

You are correct, Texas does look backwards; it reflects upon the past so that when planning for the future, the state knows to keep up with the actions that proved successful, while letting go of those that proved detrimental.
Houston weather sucks. It's a bit better than Dallas, but that's akin to being the next to last person in that movie, The Human Centipede.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:45 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Houston weather sucks. It's a bit better than Dallas, but that's akin to being the next to last person in that movie, The Human Centipede.
So what is your opinion of people who prefer the weather of the Gulf Coast or the South in general?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM

47 posts, read 52,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So what is your opinion of people who prefer the weather of the Gulf Coast or the South in general?
As a former LA resident, count me as one.

Coastal California weather is nice and consistent - for large swaths of the year the weather will be the exact same every single day. Personally though, I prefer the variety you get on the Gulf Coast.

I'm one of those weird people who likes occasional thunderstorms and who doesn't mind humidity. We do exist.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Don't know bout Texas but Colorado sure has.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeard13 View Post
As a former LA resident, count me as one.

Coastal California weather is nice and consistent - for large swaths of the year the weather will be the exact same every single day. Personally though, I prefer the variety you get on the Gulf Coast.

I'm one of those weird people who likes occasional thunderstorms and who doesn't mind humidity. We do exist.
We sure do. I'm a thunderstorm fanatic and there's nothing like high humidity to keep the skin young and firm. I'd bet that things like acne and wrinkles are more of a problem in California than they are in Texas.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Probably never been to California. Not many people outside of California understand the concept of microclimates. There is a reason that the coast is kept cool all day and the whole metro cools down at night.

The only way humid Houston was made livable was through air conditioning. I can't imagine living without it, even on the very humid coast. But Las Vegas without air conditioning is not pleasant either!
I understand the microclimates; that's why I said that the whole "mild year-round" thing people say about California's weather really applies ONLY to the immediate coastal areas, as those are the microclimates where the marine air rules. Because of how contrasting such micro-climates are, even a quick drive inland takes you to areas that indeed see temps hotter than anything in even Dallas, let alone Houston.

Quote:
It's about time you showed your true colors.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
God reading this thread, I almost feel guilty for living here.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't judge anyone on their weather preference. Why would I? Why would anyone?

I lived in Texas most of my life. I only really "hated" Dallas weather. I found Houston uncomfortable and sticky but sure, I could tolerate it. That didn't mean I liked it, though. That's the thing about weather-tolerating and liking are very different. It's only in actually living in a really nice climate for a few years that one begins to understand what a real quality of life asset nice weather is.

By the way, San Francisco is quite humid about 1/4 of the year, but it is almost never hot and humid. So, it's not uncomfortable. And yes, I am aware that a drive inland to Sacramento can put me in smoggy 100 degrees in about 90 minutes. So what? Clean, clear, cool SF air is 90 minutes back the other way.

Weather is like food. Sure, there are people out there who love haggis. They have some kind of cultural attachment, maybe they love the protein (akin to the positive humidity argument) or maybe they flat out love the taste. So what? They're not wrong. Most everyone else finds it vile, though. If it's all you have to eat, you find a way to tolerate live with it. You may even come to prefer it. Nothing wrong with that.

The dude here claiming that his haggis is a prime filet, though, is delusional.

Last edited by dalparadise; 09-01-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 02:08 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I understand the microclimates; that's why I said that the whole "mild year-round" thing people say about California's weather really applies ONLY to the immediate coastal areas, as those are the microclimates where the marine air rules. Because of how contrasting such micro-climates are, even a quick drive inland takes you to areas that indeed see temps hotter than anything in even Dallas, let alone Houston.

It's about time you showed your true colors.
Not disagreeing with you, yet, but what does a "quick drive inland" mean to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.