Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.83%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.84%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 70 18.32%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:55 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Jesus, I thought Minneapolis rents were cheap. How is the average 1 bedroom only $580 a month in Indianapolis?! You can't even get a studio apartment here that isn't a squalid rathole for that.
Yes, but Minneapolis has more to offer than Indianapolis in terms of culture, arts, beauty than Indianapolis. So you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Average rent here where i live is $500-600 a month for a 1 bedroom.
So yes the Middle Class Lifestyle is still going strong here. Sure its dead on the coasts but the east and west coasts are only 10% of America. There is still the other 90%
Wow! According to the chart Philly is cheaper on average (1+2brs) than Atlanta, Houston, Minneapolis and especially Dallas and Austin. That seems amiss...

Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,674,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wow! According to the chart Philly is cheaper on average (1+2brs) than Atlanta, Houston, Minneapolis and especially Dallas and Austin. That seems amiss...
I too am a bit skeptical of that chart. I am in the Phoenix area and the problem with that chart is it can't tell you WHAT TYPE of apartment you can get for $600 here! I inquired about a one bedroom apt the other week and they quoted me a price of $1200 per month! While that may be on the higher side of things my point is that things are not as cheap as the chart says.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,427,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I too am a bit skeptical of that chart. I am in the Phoenix area and the problem with that chart is it can't tell you WHAT TYPE of apartment you can get for $600 here! I inquired about a one bedroom apt the other week and they quoted me a price of $1200 per month! While that may be on the higher side of things my point is that things are not as cheap as the chart says.
For a decent one bedroom not in the ghetto and that has in unit washer and dryer (as opposed to community laundry), it gets no cheaper than $800/month in the valley. Less than that, and you either are talking Maryvale or South Phoenix, or you lose things like your own washer/dryer or a pool. My current apt (2 bedroom) is $1100/month and it's not a luxury complex

Old 06-09-2016, 05:36 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,715,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
For a decent one bedroom not in the ghetto and that has in unit washer and dryer (as opposed to community laundry), it gets no cheaper than $800/month in the valley. Less than that, and you either are talking Maryvale or South Phoenix, or you lose things like your own washer/dryer or a pool. My current apt (2 bedroom) is $1100/month and it's not a luxury complex
I have seen two bedrooms go for 800 a month here. And it's in Glendale, not either of those neighborhoods. Try looking harder.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,693,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The problem with Phoenix is high housing demand, but low salaries/wages and limited opportunity for career advancement in most industries. A lot of people don't take that into account before making the leap.

And it's not the cost of housing that's going to pack the meanest punch, either. It's actually utilities, sales taxes and transportation - things that tend to be greater cost burdens for lower-income people. Higher income people are more affected by things like high income taxes and high COA at state universities for in-state residents (a huge issue in AZ).

Old 06-14-2016, 12:28 AM

8,730 posts, read 6,652,408 times
San Francisco, Seattle, and even Portland punch above their weight in urbanity and the ability to have a great life without a car. That also helps make them reasonable in price, or at least the latter two are.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:58 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,408,431 times
There's a lot to take into consideration, but cost of living is just too important of a category to me personally. I would never be able to have the lifestyle I have now if I lived on the west coast. It's just too darn expensive. Love visiting, but would never want to live there.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,427,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I have seen two bedrooms go for 800 a month here. And it's in Glendale, not either of those neighborhoods. Try looking harder.
That's Glendale though, I'm talking the City of Phoenix, not the suburbs

Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM

73 posts, read 89,683 times
The California Coast is the best place to live in the country if you are wealthy. If you are not wealthy, the west coast kind of sucks and does not offer a high quality of life. If you are not wealthy and want a high quality of life, I would stay away from the West Coast. The Midwest offers the best bang for the buck quality of life if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.