Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.70%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.77%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 71 18.54%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:00 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
Austin TX is basically the west coast and feels like it, so its west coast. And please dont ever say Texas is southern its a western state we dont want that association eww
What you want is irrelevant, while Austin is certainly culturally different from the rest of Texas, Texas is without a doubt a southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 09:43 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Oooweee! Something's gone awry here! Austin is west coast? Oooweee!

Old 06-27-2017, 12:07 PM

13 posts, read 14,658 times
The fact that the acid levels on the east coast are out of control makes the west coast quality better. Year round agriculture and better weather make healthier people. I could live in bodega bay California and get property for 200k. The whole state of California is not wxpensive only the metro areas. The east coast has tons of segregation, obesity, and highest cancer levels because the whole north east is packed in like sardines. Ask any earth science or geography (geography studies are almost non existent on the east coast and most waster coasters are not aware of horrible conditions) yes pollution is bad on both coasts but here is a link to that one thing east coasters always forget to mention oddly https://water.usgs.gov/edu/ph.html. After looking at that chart how is quality of life better with the over urbanized north east and all the factories and power lines all over the place. Take an earth conservation class and you will get real facts from real professionals.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastveggiessuck View Post
The fact that the acid levels on the east coast are out of control makes the west coast quality better. Year round agriculture and better weather make healthier people. I could live in bodega bay California and get property for 200k. The whole state of California is not wxpensive only the metro areas. The east coast has tons of segregation, obesity, and highest cancer levels because the whole north east is packed in like sardines. Ask any earth science or geography (geography studies are almost non existent on the east coast and most waster coasters are not aware of horrible conditions) yes pollution is bad on both coasts but here is a link to that one thing east coasters always forget to mention oddly https://water.usgs.gov/edu/ph.html. After looking at that chart how is quality of life better with the over urbanized north east and all the factories and power lines all over the place. Take an earth conservation class and you will get real facts from real professionals.
On a similar note, many people on the upper East Coast fail to take into consideration the higher-than-average predicted indoor radon screening levels in their general region. Again, I'm no scientist, but it is my understanding that, because most homes in the Northeast have basements, and the region was home to heavy manufacturing for several hundred years (leading to increased uranium deposits in the soil), the predicted levels are inherently higher.

Another thing that East Coasters tend to forget is the potential for insect-borne illnesses in their general region.

When I lived in Arizona, and my immediate family from the East Coast would come to visit, they were genuinely and viscerally terrified of being stung by a venomous scorpion or bitten by a venomous snake or spider (i.e., critters you really have to go looking for to find). I would remind them that, living in a mostly wooded area of southern New England, they should be more fearful of being bitten by a deer tick carrying Lyme disease or a mosquito carrying West Nile virus or some other mosquito-borne illness, which, of course, they weren't.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:22 PM

461 posts, read 861,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBellyBilly View Post
No, California is too expensive. You can own a mansion with a pool in the backyard on a golf course in Des Moines for the same price as a 2 bedroom craphole in Compton.

But don't you think CA offers so much more than Des Moines?

Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
And metro Houston??

You can do the same in California. But instead of open plains that don't produce anything a vegetarian would eat, you drive through either farms that grow actual food or through deserts, mountains, and coastal forests that are publicly accessible for outdoor recreation and scientific research as opposed to private property owned by entities suspicious of public access and enforce it through the second amendment.

We have farms here in Texas too, and they grow corn and wheat. Though, we don't have as many evolutionary challenged dieters here in Texas, we love our beef, especially brisket

We got forests in the east, mountains (though less majestic) and desert in the west.

I know Texas can't compare to the West Coast for scenery. But so what? Would be boring if all places look the same. And even with DFW and Houston area, Texas does not feel crowded. I technically live in the DFW area and there's lots of open land. Oh, and plenty of Texans love their open plains. Sure its not a redwood forest or beautiful cliffs over the Pacific Ocean, but its still beautiful in its own right.

And we support the 2nd amendment here. How is that a bad thing?

Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM

Honestly I'd much rather live in North Carolina than California a million times over.

You still have mountains, you still have the ocean, but you have less shallow people, less of that Hollywood crap, not many illegal aliens, 4 seasons, southern hospitality and charm, and close to the Northeast and Florida.

The west coast just doesn't appeal to me to live. Not in climate, scenery is cool but I prefer deciduous trees and greenery. Its too dry out there, and the greener parts are too rainy and mild. I'm a fairly liberal guy (and I'm as gay as a goose) but the west coast has a different kind of liberalism. I prefer "classical liberalism" which is progressive ideals but not radical and not that weird hippie granola crap and not that "ban all guns" crap either. Its too much out there.

Honestly, New England and the Upper Midwest are my kinda places. I like the South too, but there's other issues like the heat and well the politics can suck but in the different direction..

I also like places that aren't full of transplants and where people have pride for where they live, but aren't smug about it. Texans may be prideful of Texas and arrogant to a fault, but at least they don't dismiss the whole middle of the country as "flyover nothingness." Also, people here are less wusses than Californians about cold weather. I'm surprised how many Texans actually love cold weather and how they don't overdress for the cold like they do in Florida.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:29 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Also, people here are less wusses than Californians about cold weather.
California and the Pacific Northwest in general has got to be inhabited by some of the most delicate people I ever met or had the displeasure of reading comments from on this forum. Can't deal with heat, can't deal with humidity, can't deal with bugs...

Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
California and the Pacific Northwest in general has got to be inhabited by some of the most delicate people I ever met or had the displeasure of reading comments from on this forum. Can't deal with heat, can't deal with humidity, can't deal with bugs...
Right. And the irony is that California has some of the hottest weather in the country. You have to be on the coast to have mild weather. I mean, if you can't handle cold and snow, that's fine, but don't act like the rest of the country completely sucks just cuz they actually have seasons. People think the Midwest is like Alaska, it makes no sense. And lots of people actually love the snow, so when you say "That plays sucks, it has crappy weather," all it shows is you're a baby about the cold. The place is fine! Some of the most wonderful places in the world are cold in the winter. The cold winters is one of those things that keeps it wonderful, keeps it from being overcrowded!

And btw, in the Midwest, even if you don't like winter, that's only one season. Summers are fantastic as are springs and falls. And I actually find tornadoes exciting! (plus the chance of having one actually hit you, is super slim. I'd worry more about hail damage and even then..)

Old 06-27-2017, 04:50 PM

461 posts, read 861,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Or they have the luxury of not having to deal with those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.