Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.70%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.77%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 71 18.54%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:21 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times

Advertisements

Objectively speaking, I think being close to the ocean and mountains and having year-long mild weather does equate to a better quality of life - at least for most people.

However, there are obviously better places to live than the west coast in terms of cost of living. Home prices in the Bay Area are pretty outrageous if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:35 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,124,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
If you don't mind my asking, why do you feel this way, Minervah? I'm curious, because I've never been to Oregon or Washington (though I have been to California), but I've always thought that Oregon, and Portland in particular, would be a really nice place to live. I know the Midwest because I lived in Michigan for 14 years before moving south. What is it about the Midwest that you prefer?
he/she is probably the only one that feels that way. I have almost never heard anyone say Ohio is better than Oregon/Washington

Old 08-21-2015, 10:47 AM

92 posts, read 218,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
he/she is probably the only one that feels that way. I have almost never heard anyone say Ohio is better than Oregon/Washington
One thing better about Ohio is they don't have a Superiority Complex like the West Coast.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:56 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I've stated my opinion on this a lot here, and I'm not going to give another 2 cents, but I'm interested in what City-Data in general thinks. My perception is that the western states, and California, Oregon and Washington in particular, are viewed both by the nation's populace in general and by City-Data posters as being a sort of Shangri-La of easy living, educated and tolerant people, and good weather and economic opportunities.

Why or why not does the West Coast have a better quality of life compared to the Midwest, South and Northeastern states?

As others have said, it's a very subjective issue, but in general I'd have to say that the West coast does offer a better climate/lifestyle quality of life.

I've had four siblings move to the West coast from the Midwest many years ago. My wife and I are about ready to make a move to Arizona ourselves in the next couple years. Brother in Southern California, two sisters in Oregon, and one sister in Washington. None of them have ever given me any indication they want to live anywhere but exactly where they are.

I've spent a lot of time out on the West coast myself over the years and personally, I like it. Vast differences between the northern part of the west coast and the southern part....but it's all good in it's own way.

Look at migration patterns of the US populace, and the West is where most of the growth is happening......people vote with their feet.

Someone mentioned the high cost of living in west coast cities. That proves it right there. If there is more demand than supply of land/housing, the cost will go up....and up....and up. Probably explains why a home you could buy in Detroit for 20 grand would fetch 1 million in San Francisco.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:24 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,820 times
Never had any desire to visit california but oregon, washington yes. California has too many problems with their economy and just a melting pot of undesireables. Forest fires.mud slides and last but not least the possibilty for eathquakes without warning. Too much excitement for me.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:25 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,284 times
This whole thread is extremely subjective: most people live where they are because

1) They grew up there
2) They have family/loved ones there
3) Work/School

For me, it's all of the above, so it fits my needs perfectly.

Also, I'm not financially irresponsible and have a relatively well paying job, so money isn't as big of an issue to me as it is to a lot of people on CD. I have a feeling that no matter how much someone got paid, that same person could blow it relatively easily.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:41 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Never had any desire to visit california but oregon, washington yes. California has too many problems with their economy and just a melting pot of undesireables. Forest fires.mud slides and last but not least the possibilty for eathquakes without warning. Too much excitement for me.
yeah, good thing WA and OR don't have any forest fires, mud slides, or quakes....

Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
West Coast does have the best living for the super wealthy I will agree on that. I really like the West for living more than the West Coast if I did move out West it would be to Colorado, Arizona or Las Vegas, NV. If I was super rich I would move to San Diego, I hate being over taxed and paying over 2 million for a nice home. My pipe dream of living in San Diego does not look like it will ever happen, cost of living is too damn high.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:59 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,379 times
Yes the WestCoast is the Gold standard in America.

The population & culture of California is one example, The natural beautiful of Colorado is another example, Than it's the access to multiple world class cities & great weather .

Northeast is a for sure 2nd but the Westcoast by far offers the best Diversity in the Quality of life department.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Yes the WestCoast is the Gold standard in America.

The population & culture of California is one example, The natural beautiful of Colorado is another example, Than it's the access to multiple world class cities & great weather .

Northeast is a for sure 2nd but the Westcoast by far offers the best Diversity in the Quality of life department.
I agree California is the best place to be super rich, it has the highest quality of life for the super rich, awesome weather and awesome scenery, not a great place to be middle class thou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.