Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.70%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.77%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 71 18.54%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
If living in a box for $400 a month and living a struggling life paycheck to paycheck is your idea of a high quality of life then the West Coast can't be beat.
If living a middle class lifestyle and enjoying the American Dream, Actually owning a home, Not wasting hours each day to commute to work and have extra money in your pocket to travel the world and enjoy life Then the Midwest is the best choice hands down.
Pretty sure no one is living a middle class lifestyle anywhere in America paying $400 a month for housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pretty sure no one is living a middle class lifestyle anywhere in America paying $400 a month for housing.
Five of the ten cheapest rental housing markets have median rental values below $550 a month so it's entirely feasible to find middle class rentals in the sub $500 a month range.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/top-...places-to-live

Old 05-31-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Five of the ten cheapest rental housing markets have median rental values below $550 a month so it's entirely feasible to find middle class rentals in the sub $500 a month range.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/top-...places-to-live
I guess, I just kind of wonder what kind of neighborhood nice $400 rentals would be in even in these cheaper cities.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I guess, I just kind of wonder what kind of neighborhood nice $400 rentals would be in even in these cheaper cities.
Probably a middle class working neighborhood? You can buy a decent house for under $100k in NYC exurbs one and a half hour drive from Manhattan in one of the smaller PA towns, so I would imagine the cheap smaller cities would have the same.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Average rent here where i live is $500-600 a month for a 1 bedroom.
So yes the Middle Class Lifestyle is still going strong here. Sure its dead on the coasts but the east and west coasts are only 10% of America. There is still the other 90%
Sure that's middle class if you're single with no kids.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Jesus, I thought Minneapolis rents were cheap. How is the average 1 bedroom only $580 a month in Indianapolis?! You can't even get a studio apartment here that isn't a squalid rathole for that.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
A lot of this is subjective. There are a lot of pluses in CA/west coast: beautiful geography and nice climate. But there are key negatives as well: Brush fires, earthquakes, water issues, smog, extremely high cost of living, highest income taxes in the nation, chilly ocean water (I know, sounds picky, but important to me. I MUCH prefer the SE warm ocean water, lol). I've been to CA. I think many of those who wax poetic about CA get too much of their opinions formed from TV and movies or live there and are sheltered that there is actually life outside of the west coast (I've experienced both from people many times over the decades). I know this will ruffle a few feathers; sorry lol. Nice area to visit, but I personally would never want to live there, even if cost were lower. A good state/region in many ways, but definitely not the best, IMO.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Probably a middle class working neighborhood? You can buy a decent house for under $100k in NYC exurbs one and a half hour drive from Manhattan in one of the smaller PA towns, so I would imagine the cheap smaller cities would have the same.
The monthly payment on $100k house is double $400/month.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Which more and more Millennials are doing.
Delaying Marriage and starting families.
So the Middle Class is going strong here point still stands
I don't doubt that at all, just question paying $400 is middle class anywhere, certainly not for a family. And even for singles it sounds like $400 a month would put you below the median rent which means likely more lower middle class.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How is Texas crowded? You can go a few hours on the interstate with nothing but open plains with a few small towns in between. All of the big cities are spread apart and hours from each other. Only the DFW metroplex can claim any kind of crowdedness.
And metro Houston??

You can do the same in California. But instead of open plains that don't produce anything a vegetarian would eat, you drive through either farms that grow actual food or through deserts, mountains, and coastal forests that are publicly accessible for outdoor recreation and scientific research as opposed to private property owned by entities suspicious of public access and enforce it through the second amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.