Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Austin, Portland, Seattle, Denver, and San Francisco. Omaha, Minneapolis, and Louisville should get an honorable mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Austin, Portland, Seattle, Denver, and San Francisco. Omaha, Minneapolis, and Louisville should get an honorable mention.
Honestly, Louisville was the opposite for me...the downtown seemed very bad for its size!

I'll go with Providence. And Boston (can I do that?).

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Honestly, Louisville was the opposite for me...the downtown seemed very bad for its size!

I'll go with Providence. And Boston (can I do that?).
I felt like Louisville had a good size downtown for it's MSA, it's city pop is artificially inflated due to coterminous boundaries with Jefferson County.

I'll give you Providence but I feel Bostons downtown is appropriately sized for it's population and stature.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:49 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I felt like Louisville had a good size downtown for it's MSA, it's city pop is artificially inflated due to coterminous boundaries with Jefferson County.

I'll give you Providence but I feel Bostons downtown is appropriately sized for it's population and stature.
I guess it depends if you're using MSA or city limits. City limits Boston and San Francisco are both under 50 sq miles, but metro the downtowns seem appropriate. Providence is under 20 sq miles FWIW.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:49 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
For its size, Bellevue WA has a fantastic skyline and an impressive downtown considering its size.

For larger cities, of course SF, Seattle, and Boston and the like pack an enormous punch.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I guess it depends if you're using MSA or city limits. City limits Boston and San Francisco are both under 50 sq miles, but metro the downtowns seem appropriate. Providence is under 20 sq miles FWIW.
I wouldn't use city limits as Central Business Districts tend to service and reflect the greater area and not just the civic boundaries of the main city. The only reason to do that would be to bolster a homer argument.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:06 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonbuns View Post
I agree with most of what you said. I wouldn't exactly say that it's that special for the city that it's located in though. Denver is one of my favorite cities and 16th Street is really cute, but the downtown was pretty much what I expected when I went there.
Compared to many other downtowns, it's quite lively. And then add in that you have a baseball stadium directly downtown, football stadium/baskeball and hockey arena/amusement park all on the outskirts of downtown, plus LoDo and Larimer Square for entertainment, nightlife and restaurants, and consistently increasing housing being built downtown, Denver only gets better. Compare it to so many other downtowns that are dead after 5 p.m.

Downtown L.A. is getting better, but not that long ago, I'd say downtown Denver blew away downtown L.A. for activity and night life. (I haven't been directly in downtown L.A. for a few years though). But yes, other cities mayors have come to Denver to see what's been done right with downtown. There's definitely room for improvement, but the city makes great efforts to continue the improvement. For a metro area of only around 3 million, Denver has a nice downtown.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
In the Southeast, Asheville (NC) and Charleston (SC) have attractive downtowns that are very bustling relative to the size of the cities. Of course both cities benefit from tourism - but also have plenty of amenities for locals to enjoy, which stand out far more than do the skylines.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:50 AM

574 posts, read 689,634 times
Seattle and Minneapolis

Old 08-20-2015, 11:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I would assume we're talking metro areas, since the metro area is normally supporting the central downtown of the primary city, certainly not just the city itself.

Des Moines has a great one given the metro size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.