Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 12:20 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

I think the coast impacts every state but I'd probably have to go with Mississippi. Biloxi is a major beach resort but most people's image of the state doesn't involve anything coastal. New Hampshire too. People often forget it even has a coast. Its a much shorter than most New England states. New Hampshire's image is basically the same as Vermont's and Vermont has no beach.

The coast plays a very important role in Louisiana culture and in our economy. Most of our oil is produced offshore in the Gulf rigs. Seafood is an integral part of our cuisine at least in South Louisiana. Most of our coast isn't sandy but its still a coast. Fishing is also very important to the Louisiana economy. I disagree that the ocean isn't a big thing in Texas. That state is huge but at least in East Texas the beach is very important and Texas has a number of popular seaside destinations like Galveston and South Padre. The media and Hollywood's stereotypical image of Texas mostly comes from West Texas and the Panhandle but Texas is so much more than that.

In terms of the Great Lakes, then Pennsylvania and Indiana. Illinois and Ohio have more of a lake culture especially as they have large cities on the lake.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 07-16-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 11:14 AM

296 posts, read 644,371 times
Georgia, when you want to go to the beach, you Go To FLorida, No on cares about the Ga Coast.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
Georgia, when you want to go to the beach, you Go To FLorida, No on cares about the Ga Coast.
I beg to differ.

Tybee Island GA l Savannah's Beach l Visitor Information

St. Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!

https://www.seaisland.com/?nck=88856...RJMaAvwN8P8HAQ

Welcome to Jekyll Island | Jekyll Island – Georgia's Vacation, Conservation and Educational Location

Home » Cumberland Island

"More than 60 million people visit Georgia each year, according to the Georgia Department of Economic Development's 2011 reports. In 2009, those visitors took more than 114 million trips to and within Georgia. Most visitors to Georgia in 2009 were adults -- 79 percent -- but child visitors counted for just under a quarter of Georgia's total visitors. Women visitors slightly outnumbered men in 2009, with women accounting for 53 percent of Georgia visitors. Though visitors came to Georgia from all over the world and the U.S. in 2009, approximately 33 percent of Georgia's overnight tourists were Georgia residents visiting a different part of the state.
Popular Destinations
Atlanta was the top destination for tourists visiting Georgia in 2009, and 46 percent of Georgia travelers spent some time during their trip in Atlanta, exploring the city's attractions, including the Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coca-Cola, Centennial Olympic Park, the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Park, Six Flags Over Georgia and White Water amusement parks, the Atlanta Zoo and Stone Mountain Park. Almost a quarter of 2009 visitors -- 24 percent -- visited Savannah and the Georgia coast. Historic attractions were highlights for Georgia visitors in 2009: Almost 75 percent of Georgia tourists spent some of their time at an historic area, landmark or museum"

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/touri...gia-54382.html

5. Sea Island, GA

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...ands-america/6

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b064e1b4b47fc1

Old 07-17-2017, 12:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Any of the Gulf Coast states other than Florida and Louisiana.

Mississippi, Alabama, and Texas could all do a lot more to capitalize on their coasts.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Any of the Gulf Coast states other than Florida and Louisiana.

Mississippi, Alabama, and Texas could all do a lot more to capitalize on their coasts.
Louisiana is the worst out of those mentioned. Of the gulf states, Florida is the only one that truly matters when it comes to coastlines.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Does GL count? If so, INDIANA!

Last edited by cttransplant85; 07-17-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Minnesota has 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Hawaii and Florida combined...Cowabunga!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:12 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Texas can do A LOT better marketing it's coast. It doesnt have bad beaches, the beaches down by the mexican boarder are actually really nice.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
That's where alot of Midwesterners go on vacation.
Strange, I go to the OBX 2-3 times a year and I rarely see midwestern tags. My friends that live there usually go to Destin or Gulf Shores or a Texas beach. If you do see a Midwest tag it's probably Ohio but even that's not common.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Strange, I go to the OBX 2-3 times a year and I rarely see midwestern tags. My friends that live there usually go to Destin or Gulf Shores or a Texas beach. If you do see a Midwest tag it's probably Ohio but even that's not common.
Yes, the FL Gulf Coast is a big destination for Midwestern vacationers. I don't know why they would drive all the way to OBX when the Emerald Coast is a shorter distance. The Tampa Bay beaches are a big destination for them as well; I-75 South is usually chock full of loaded-up cars from Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

Indianapolis, IN > Nags Head, NC = 804 mi.

Indianapolis > Panama City, FL = 744 mi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.