Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times

Advertisements

I would love to see a map of the British Isles by 15 people in various places in the U.S.A. and Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec012014 View Post
Haha, over here it's pay £1.60 to get downtown, pay £10 for a round trip, sit on the bus for 4 hours, walk a kilometer to the tourist zone, then reverse the process. For you it's pay hundreds and hundreds of pounds, go through customs, get jet lagged, pay a hotel and go back and get much worse jet lag. I've gone so many times I'm bored of what you want to cross an ocean to see, lol. Get kicked out by your girlfriend at midnight? There's a bus every hour, get woken up at DC, immediately go back to New York and sleep again. Maybe she lets you in by then. It's only a few pounds. I'd like to see Europe.
Actually the trip eastward to Europe was much worse jet lag for me than westward going home to North America. I was able to pretend that it took the whole morning when I went back to America, unlike the red-eye flight to Europe.

Can feel your pain going to Central London on public transport. Did the same here in Houston today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 01:11 PM

124 posts, read 147,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I would love to see a map of the British Isles by 15 people in various places in the U.S.A. and Canada.

Actually the trip eastward to Europe was much worse jet lag for me than westward going home to North America. I was able to pretend that it took the whole morning when I went back to America, unlike the red-eye flight to Europe.

Can feel your pain going to Central London on public transport. Did the same here in Houston today.
I'm the American, not the Londoner. It takes 4 hours cause it's 227 miles away. But competition with the (way more accident-prone) Chinese bus that boards in the street has driven the fare down so much that it's almost free. For example, it's $12.50* online for the 9am departure 28 days from now. And that's even less than £10.

*including bus building fee

I think the Megabus is $1 if you got the first ticket (which might be a year in advance?), the train is at least like $100 round trip I think weeks in advance and takes as long, why bother, the high speed train is hundreds of dollars and takes 2.75 hours! It's not that high speed, can only get to 135 mph (217 kph) and has to go to way slower most of the time. A Chinese-style high speed train could go 236 mph and get there in under an hour.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:17 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Quote:
I'm the American, not the Londoner. It takes 4 hours cause it's 227 miles away. But competition with the (way more accident-prone) Chinese bus that boards in the street has driven the fare down so much that it's almost free. For example, it's $12.50* online for the 9am departure 28 days from now. And that's even less than £10.

*including bus building fee

I think the Megabus is $1 if you got the first ticket (which might be a year in advance?), the train is at least like $100 round trip I think weeks in advance and takes as long, why bother, the high speed train is hundreds of dollars and takes 2.75 hours! It's not that high speed, can only get to 135 mph (217 kph) and has to go to way slower most of the time. A Chinese-style high speed train could go 236 mph and get there in under an hour.
I'm the Londoner Kerr lol

But yes I live and work in central London and the transport is hideous for example it takes in the way home 50 mins on a bus I walk the distance 4 miles intakes just over an hour! Only ten mins difference

Old 09-02-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I'm the Londoner Kerr lol

But yes I live and work in central London and the transport is hideous for example it takes in the way home 50 mins on a bus I walk the distance 4 miles intakes just over an hour! Only ten mins difference
The (local) buses are like that in Manhattan. They move 4 mph in rush hour cause the fare card goes up or down exactly 5 times and then you can pocket it (wait for the beep). They're moving (very slowly) to fare machines on the sidewalk. You put your card in that instead, it gives you a paper thing that's good for a short time, and the fare inspector sometimes boards the bus and asks random people to show the paper or get fined many many fares worth.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:10 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
The (local) buses are like that in Manhattan. They move 4 mph in rush hour cause the fare card goes up or down exactly 5 times and then you can pocket it (wait for the beep). They're moving (very slowly) to fare machines on the sidewalk. You put your card in that instead, it gives you a paper thing that's good for a short time, and the fare inspector sometimes boards the bus and asks random people to show the paper or get fined many many fares worth.
We did have them bendy buses they were called you would buy a ticket maybe and an inspector would pop on now and then but they got rid of them as they were losing a fortune

Old 09-02-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
We did have them bendy buses they were called you would buy a ticket maybe and an inspector would pop on now and then but they got rid of them as they were losing a fortune
Use of the 2 bogey buses with the fine protection vending machine is increasing because Manhattan's too crowded. Maybe cause they search more people, maybe cause you could be arrested and face up to 1 year in jail if you have no ID, a warrant, or a criminal record, but it works here. They must be a pain to turn.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:06 PM

616 posts, read 645,007 times
at Least some of the peeps have heard of Oregon

Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
My favorite one is where they called Alaska "East Russia" and Wisconsin planet Hoth. Surprised at how many got Arizona right or mixed it up with New Mexico... it's pretty close. Also a lot of people think New York is in the mid-Atlantic region near Maryland and Virginia... I thought they would get New York right.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Clearly everyone seems to know where Florida is. I am pretty surprised by the number of people who have no clue where NY is. Given that the city and its metro are so large, I could understand guesses from Maryland to Massachusetts..... but NC?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:17 AM

707 posts, read 749,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Clearly everyone seems to know where Florida is. I am pretty surprised by the number of people who have no clue where NY is. Given that the city and its metro are so large, I could understand guesses from Maryland to Massachusetts..... but NC?
Who could forget America's wang? Thats actually one of the unofficial nicknames of Florida, even listed of the list of state nicknames article on Wikipedia lol.

One map that cracked me up though, was Oklahoma as "Texas' Hat".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.