Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:00 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
75% of the violent crimes in pittsburgh happen in 4 or 5 neighborhoods. The rest are decent but the ones that are bad are very bad
To add to this, the two neighborhoods listed in Pittsburgh (Bedford Dwellings and Northview Heights) are small (both had around 1,200 people in 2010) and almost entirely comprised of housing projects. I don't even think you can even stumble into Northview Heights by accident, because the roads in and out have security checkpoints.

Oddly though, they are not the neighborhoods which have the worst reputation in Pittsburgh - that honor goes to Homewood. Homewood might not have made the list because it's divided by Neighborhoodscout into five separate areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:56 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Wow. Obviously I knew Baltimore was bad but I didn't know it was that dangerous or bad... it's so odd how one of the richest counties in america (Howard County, Montgomery County) are all within a 20-50 mile radius from Baltimore yet it seems like they are literally worlds apart.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:53 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I'm surprised that this list wasn't posted in this thread as well:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 12:47 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
To add to this, the two neighborhoods listed in Pittsburgh (Bedford Dwellings and Northview Heights) are small (both had around 1,200 people in 2010) and almost entirely comprised of housing projects. I don't even think you can even stumble into Northview Heights by accident, because the roads in and out have security checkpoints.

Oddly though, they are not the neighborhoods which have the worst reputation in Pittsburgh - that honor goes to Homewood. Homewood might not have made the list because it's divided by Neighborhoodscout into five separate areas.
Also very true. Northview Heights is gated off from the public and sits on a hilltop that has one road in and out; I believe that's for a reason.

Homewood is the worst neighborhood in the city for sure (specifically the large housing project on the hill that overlooks the neighborhood), but maybe statistically its not. Homewood has nearly 10,000 residents, and the news reports Larimer, East Hills, and Homewood as "Homewood". With a relatively high population, the crimes per person drops. Same happens with several north side crimes being reported as "Northside" when they are actually in Perry Hilltop, Perry North, Central Northside, Hoodtown, California, Northview Heights, City View, etc.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:17 PM

89 posts, read 115,560 times
Whew. A decade ago, one would find Richmond somewhere on that list.

I'm surprised to see Petersburg. I thought they had made some strides recently, too.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:19 PM

89 posts, read 115,560 times
I didn't go to those neighborhoods mentioned (though I was close to Homewood on several occasions) but I am also surprised to see Pittsburgh on the list. I felt very safe walking along through much of the city. (Very walkable place).

Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
I like these statistics much more, because nice areas in cities tend to ne hidden by the crime ridden parts, and in other cities crime ridden parts can hidden by majority well off areas.

all crime ridden neighborhoods should have their own statistics. It would help newcomers be more open to moving to places.
neighborhood scout actually goes into depth on each neighborhood, pretty decent service to use when relocating but I have seen alot neighborhoods they describe as far too complimentary . I would use the local subforums here and ask alot of questions before moving and even yelp is a great way to check out areas. I am surprised yelp doesnt get more into the neighborhood ratings, it would be a big help in relocating to find cool area, creative class areas that can be a little shady but changing, just plain rough areas etc

Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Lol Tulsa????
I don't understand your surprise. Do you know how crime works?

Old 08-31-2015, 02:02 AM

213 posts, read 278,024 times
I'm not doubting that it is, but this does not look like the second most dangerous neighborhood in America:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6556...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 08-31-2015, 07:46 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVARoughingIt View Post
I didn't go to those neighborhoods mentioned (though I was close to Homewood on several occasions) but I am also surprised to see Pittsburgh on the list. I felt very safe walking along through much of the city. (Very walkable place).
I've lived out here for ten years, and I've never had anything worse happen to me than my bike stolen a few times. Pittsburgh is very safe for a city - for whatever reason, crime doesn't spill from the really bad neighborhoods into the good ones too frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.