Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 PM

18 posts, read 23,820 times

Advertisements

This post is a slight x-post from Arizona forum. I might be narrowing my search too much looking just in that state, though.

I am finishing up a teaching degree. I want to work with middle schoolers specifically, so teeny tiny towns where I'm teaching 4th grade-12th grade are out.

The nice thing about this career path is that it appears that I make about lower-middle class wages almost anywhere. I've only researched a few places where the salary schedule didn't really match the COL (like San Francisco, starting pay 46k!!! Yikes). So, I don't think that cost of living is a terrible concern unless the jump is crazy from where I'm living now. Obviously, the more schools in the area, the better. I need to find work promptly. I am NOT needing to work in a super classy district (of course, I'm not opposed to it). My strength is in working with kids who need the most encouragement and structure.

I am a female 26-year-old person. Sunniness ranks high on my list of priorities. I love the desert and plains, but I also kind of enjoyed the rolling hills around Sonoma/Napa when I lived there. I currently live in Wichita, KS and really hate it. Lawrence would be my number 1 choice in Kansas, but I'm not a fan of the weather here. It is incredibly windy for most of the year and there are a lot of dreary, cold days. Kansas is also having major issues in the education dept.

It's very important to me that, as a bisexual person, I don't feel like I HAVE to date men. I feel that way in Wichita and I have not felt that way in any other place I have lived (Minneapolis, Napa, Sacramento, Lawrence, KC). I would like to live somewhere where no one bats an eye at same sex relationships.

Can you friendly city data folks help me find a place to start? I have time to travel to a few places this summer. I just really need to narrow my scope first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,065,069 times
Palm Springs, CA area. Cathedral City is reasonable COL. And just starting today (coincidence? karma?) take a look:

LGBT Days festival begins in Cathedral City | News - Home

Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,836,138 times
If you are looking at Arizona perhaps Bisbee would fit your needs. Not sure on the school situation but Bisbee tried to legalize gay marriage long before the state did at the city level, which the state shot down immediately. Only place in Arizona that did. It's a pretty liberal area.

Tucson could also work for you though it's not nearly as liberal as Bisbee. Tucson is probably moderate but like most cities it has very liberal pockets near the Downtown and University and conservative in the suburbs. It's an LGBT friendly area.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Palm Springs, CA area. Cathedral City is reasonable COL. And just starting today (coincidence? karma?) take a look:

LGBT Days festival begins in Cathedral City | News - Home
I was wondering about that area! I didn't know anything about Cathedral City, but that area appealed to me in the terrain/climate sense. I will add it to the good ol spreadsheet...

Old 03-25-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
If you are looking at Arizona perhaps Bisbee would fit your needs. Not sure on the school situation but Bisbee tried to legalize gay marriage long before the state did at the city level, which the state shot down immediately. Only place in Arizona that did. It's a pretty liberal area.

Tucson could also work for you though it's not nearly as liberal as Bisbee. Tucson is probably moderate but like most cities it has very liberal pockets near the Downtown and University and conservative in the suburbs. It's an LGBT friendly area.
Interesting. I had never heard of Bisbee. The pictures of the area are gorgeous. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,981,533 times
Wages for middle school teachers in the Palm Springs area is 70% higher than in AZ so its a better option IMO.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:04 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,748,133 times
See my post (#7) on this thread about Santa Cruz county.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...er-health.html

Old 03-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
See my post (#7) on this thread about Santa Cruz county.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...er-health.html
I have a friend in Santa Cruz. She seems to think renting is impossible there. However, she is a hairdresser, and I have no clue what she makes.

I had no idea they had a lesbian community there. I will have to research it more. It would be nice to be close-ish to relatives (I have family in Fairfield).

Old 03-25-2016, 08:24 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,748,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmissingno View Post
I have a friend in Santa Cruz. She seems to think renting is impossible there. However, she is a hairdresser, and I have no clue what she makes.

I had no idea they had a lesbian community there. I will have to research it more. It would be nice to be close-ish to relatives (I have family in Fairfield).
Yes, the rental prices are definitely very high. So you need to make enough money, lower your standards re; the kind of housing you want, be very tolerant and patient in the search for housing or be willing to live with housemates.
And actually, there are some very sweet housemate situations where you can live in a rather high end dwelling with other professionals and it can be very good. Especially if you're new to an area.
I've lived in the county for many years. I live very simply (understatement but i'm kinda counter culture and live semi-off grid in the redwoods) as i still find it worth it to live on the Monterey bay.
And yes, it's very lgbt friendly.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:31 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,836,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Wages for middle school teachers in the Palm Springs area is 70% higher than in AZ so its a better option IMO.
You can't compare one metro to an entire state. California is expensive in general because of taxes and COL. Even desert California is more expensive than desert Arizona. Adjust that for COL of the specific towns and include taxes then talk. Tucson and Bisbee, two towns I think could fit the OP's needs, are fairly cheap.

I'm not saying Arizona pays well. Arizona pays crap for its state government workers (city and county appears to do OK depending on which one). But Palm Springs pays higher because it has to be higher there.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunny, liberal, laid-back, LGBT-friendly.. What place am I describing?-screen-shot-2016-03-25-7.22.24  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.