Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 03:03 PM

801 posts, read 2,554,512 times

Advertisements

I grew up on the southwest side of Chicago in the '70s, '80s, and into the early '90s.

Just about every night, many of our neighbors would be out on their front porches. Most homes were brick bungalows from the 1920's that had wide front stairs, and "sitting stoops" like these:

Our area had been mostly a blue-collar area, and there were several Chicago firemen, paramedics, and police on our block, as well as white-collar workers. It was not diverse ethnically but it was diverse as far as the types of people. A couple folks were workers at a bank, one was a VP, one was an assistant state's attorney. Quite a few retired older folks. And as time went on, we had newer families who were 1st or 2nd generation Mexican-American.

In front of the houses, there was the part of the front yard that was your property, then there was the sidewalk, and then there was the strip of parkway that was city-owned but it was yours to care for. Then cars parked on both sides of the street, and it was only wide enough to be a one-way street.

There was a shopping strip nearby, a few churches, and schools, all walking distance.

I grew up in that safe, secure, friendly environment. Every night for years, we walked down the block to our aunt's front porch and had a soda (adults sometimes had a beer), sat on the porch and talked, and listened, four or five other neighbors would always stop by and chat for a while or at least say hello.

On my side of the block, there were a couple guys my age across the street. When we were smaller (5-10 years old) most days they were out in front playing catch, tossing a football, or playing tag, or having races down the sidewalk. I wasn't the most athletic kid but I played my share of games with them.

I remember really enjoying the days with my mom and her friend and their girls, and we'd draw on the sidewalk and catch lightning bugs and run around the tree in front.

When everyone got older there was still some sports, more tackle football, more organized games, and more basketball in someone's driveway or in the alley (there weren't many driveways), or down the street at the park. The focus was also more social, you'd hang out with people and their brothers and sisters and just talk. Or if there was somewhere to go, ride your bike there. By the time we were 15-16 some of us had cars. Then the car was a focal point too, even if not driving anywhere the car always needed some attention (washing, detailing, fixing.)

When I listen to my aunts talk about how they grew up (1-2 generations older than me - they are 70 and 85 now), it was like this for them too, even though they grew up in a different city neighborhood. From what they tell me, it was even livelier, with more people out, and more friends. They speak of it as a very loose, very supportive, very friendly time.

So here is what it was:
- An environment where we knew more than half of our neighbors on our block.
- We'd see our neighbors every day or every few days. Rarely a week or two would go by without running into someone and saying hello.
- It was low key, relaxed, sane, safe, secure. No one was hostile, no one was disorderly. You'd get a couple kids who were a little hotheaded but the worst that would happen would be the game would break up and you'd all go back into your house till tomorrow. We had to pay for someone's window once or twice. Nothing too much. We just avoided the one cranky guy who didn't want anyone on his grass.
- Adults were watchful, not neglectful, but not watching us like a hawk, either. When we were under 10 there was almost always someone's parent or relative within shouting distance.
- We grew to all know each other and help each other.
- None of this was "organized" - it happened naturally. You sat outside because it was better than being cooped up in the house. It was fun. It was like an extended family. It added a lot to our lives.
- My 80 year old neighbor had an immigrant family move next door. She taught the little boy some English and he tried to help her understand some Spanish. They were friends.
- The activity in the front yards didn't bother you if you were in the house and didn't want to participate. We had plenty of trees as a buffer, houses had plenty of space, plus the houses were built like castles with thick brick walls.
- It was all-ages. You interacted with everyone. Every age group from babies to the very old.
- The socializing wasn't about alcohol, like it is when you go to a city festival or a pub.
- You didn't have to spend any money to be part of it all.

So my question for the forum is,
Are there still places like this? We haven't found one since we moved out of Chicago.
I'm wondering where you've found anything close to what I'm describing here.

The closest I've found in the 20 years since I've been gone, are:
- One or two small towns that I've been to.
- Vacation towns and beach towns during the busy season.
- College neighborhoods that are full of undergrads (and even better when it is a mixed population, with local residents and professors and grad students all together.) The socializing revolves more around alcohol though, its not as harmonious.
- Busy retail/restaurant/pub areas, and street festivals - but it's not the same.

And that's really it.

One last thought, we had air conditioning, and cars, and we had TV, and VCR's, and we had Atari. It wasn't like we didn't have those things then. I always hear that it's "car culture" or television or movies-on-demand, or video games that is the cause for the demise of the neighborhood. That's not it. We had all of those things then, and we had probably more access to cars (because they were cheaper).

So in some ways I'm still trying to figure out what caused people to go so inward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
Yes, people had TV---5 channels or less. Big difference now.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:51 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
5 channels and no A/C.

People still gather outside and socialize around the projects, though.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Yes, people had TV---5 channels or less. Big difference now.
To me, its a difference for the worse, not for the better. Why would someone want to spend the better part of their life soaking in mindless TV shows, and not even know the people who live in your community and on your block?

Anyway, the question is, are there still places where what I'm describing, what I grew up with, can be found. Places where there is still a lot of vitality and not so much isolation.

I'm hoping someone will give me some hope that there is!

Last edited by summer22; 09-06-2015 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 05:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
Welcome to Village Homes

Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
Come to Philly-"porch sittin and stoop sitting" is very common in the neighborhoods.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,930,532 times
I live in the Toronto area, and you do have at least some of this in small lot SFH or townhouse communities in suburban Toronto, mostly after school/when school's out. Ex this neighbourhood in the suburb of Brampton, this particular neighbourhood doesn't have porches but if it's too hot to be in the sun sometimes people sit in the garage with the garage door open
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64534...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64584...7i13312!8i6656
The suburban neighbourhood I lived in until I was 10 was a bit like that. I don't think it was quite as vibrant, it was mostly the kids outside, although occasionally the mothers would be outside watching over them. One of my neighbours held little "picnics" in her front yard. Then we moved to a new area where I lived during my teens, we still knew most neighbours by name and were friends with a few, but we didn't see them quite as often. That neighbourhood had a fair bit of new homes with porches, I guess people liked the look of them and the feeling of community they evoked, but there's only one house where I've actually seen anyone sitting on the porch - an old lady doing some knitting. I think that was literally it, and it's not that I was never outside to see it, I walked to school about 10-20min each way and then later when we got a dog walked it several hours a week.

The late 19th/early 20th century neighbourhoods of Toronto do too, but they seem to have fewer children. My impression has been that there's more kids in the older parts of Hamilton, Ontario than those of Toronto's west end. I've gone around some bike rides in Hamilton's east end this summer and there seem to be a fair bit of people out on their porches, hanging out, kids riding bikes...

Hamilton's east end:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.25325...7i13312!8i6656

Parc Extension in Montreal seemed to have decent levels of socializing outside too.

Last edited by memph; 09-06-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,482,967 times
The spread of the internet, the rise in crime awareness (AKA increased paranoia), the tighter and more restrictive laws, the introverted youth becoming increasingly introverted, people exhausted because most jobs have no logical schedules which screws with sleep and time to relax, increased stress due to new bills (cell phone, internet) and a tougher work environment (most people do the job of two or three people at one job and still work a second or third to get by).

These are all major contributors. The US is not the social and happy place it claims to be and, to a certain degree, once was.

Things are getting worse and instead of banding together and helping each other we are all fixated on blaming one another and fighting about it.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:45 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Come to Philly-"porch sittin and stoop sitting" is very common in the neighborhoods.
DC, Baltimore, and Richmond as well.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 AM

That's nice to know about the East Coast... it's something I really miss, so it's nice to know that culture is still alive somewhere. Toronto I always felt had a lot of commonalities with Chicago. Sounds like the same kind of neighborhoods I know and love. Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The spread of the internet, the rise in crime awareness (AKA increased paranoia), the tighter and more restrictive laws, the introverted youth becoming increasingly introverted, people exhausted because most jobs have no logical schedules which screws with sleep and time to relax, increased stress due to new bills (cell phone, internet) and a tougher work environment (most people do the job of two or three people at one job and still work a second or third to get by).

These are all major contributors. The US is not the social and happy place it claims to be and, to a certain degree, once was.

Things are getting worse and instead of banding together and helping each other we are all fixated on blaming one another and fighting about it.
I think you're probably right about all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.