Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 833 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Las Vegas and I've lived here for the past 17 years. I really hate living in Vegas and I'm considering my options for college. Because I've done well in high school, I am eligible for a full ride to USU, MSU, and UNLV, so cost of tuition isn't a factor in my decision. I was wondering which of these states is my best option. I'm nonreligious and liberal (which makes me hesitant about Utah), I love cold weather, I love the beautiful landscapes of Utah and Montana, and I am looking for a place with a decent music scene.

Thanks in advance! I really can't decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,081 times
Consider your major first and what kind of connections you'll make attending each school. Have you driven to Utah before with being so close? You might be in for a surprise. No one can really tell you what's best for you without knowing more detail.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,430,240 times
Montana State is in Bozeman, which is supposed to be super hippy

Old 09-09-2015, 09:04 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,096 times
^ Bozeman has a surprisingly good music scene, or at least an active one. It was the "well, we need a tour stop somewhere between Seattle and Minneapolis" staple for decades, and either the scene grew around it or the 2 were symbiotic.

The other two are in large cities. If you think you can make it in a smaller town lacking in the Vegas amenities you're used to, you'd probably be happiest in MT. Otherwise, go elsewhere. SLC has a small scene, but it's often dominated by meatheads (see: largest tuffguy straight edge scene in America many years running).

In terms of scenery, you're pretty good to go on any of your choices, though if you are seeking cold, MT is your best bet.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
^ Bozeman has a surprisingly good music scene, or at least an active one. It was the "well, we need a tour stop somewhere between Seattle and Minneapolis" staple for decades, and either the scene grew around it or the 2 were symbiotic.

The other two are in large cities. If you think you can make it in a smaller town lacking in the Vegas amenities you're used to, you'd probably be happiest in MT. Otherwise, go elsewhere. SLC has a small scene, but it's often dominated by meatheads (see: largest tuffguy straight edge scene in America many years running).

In terms of scenery, you're pretty good to go on any of your choices, though if you are seeking cold, MT is your best bet.
Actually Utah State University is in Logan, not Salt Lake City. It's also a bit of a Mormon stronghold which eliminates it based on the OP's criteria (not liberal/hippy). Bozeman really is the best option far and away in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:45 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,096 times
^ OK, my bad. I know little about Logan, outside of a friend who practiced optometry there for a while and loved the terrain.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:16 PM

346 posts, read 464,659 times
Montana, FTW!!

Too bad it's MSU, instead of UM. But MSU is nice, too.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually Utah State University is in Logan, not Salt Lake City. It's also a bit of a Mormon stronghold which eliminates it based on the OP's criteria (not liberal/hippy). Bozeman really is the best option far and away in my opinion.
There is an LDS presence in Logan, but the international students and all other non-LDS balance campus out much more. What the community is religiously does NOT necessarily transfer in the same balance to campus.

I have to agree with earlier posts: what is your major? For example if you're interested in Veterinary Medicine, USU started a new program ~ 3 years ago. Unless one of the other campuses has opened new facilities, you'd have a clear advantage being at USU. What you major in also greatly influences how much diversity the various students, staff and professors have.

If you don't know your career goals, what are your interests and what classes are the easiest for you? Talk to a high school counselor about careers.

You are close enough I'd recommend you spend time at all three of the campus locations. Allegiance flies to Ogden, UT about 40 miles closer to Logan than SLC. I'm not certain if Allegiance flies to Bozeman, but they o to Idaho Falls and you could drive north to Bozeman. Of course SLC International and the airport in Bozeman both get Delta flights. Bozeman could be expensive.

I've seen major concerts in all three locations. Was least impressed with Bozeman, but smaller bands may have better venues, IDK.

I really think you need to spend a few days and nights in the cities to know.

Good luck and have fun

MSR

Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorophyill View Post
I currently live in Las Vegas and I've lived here for the past 17 years. I really hate living in Vegas and I'm considering my options for college. Because I've done well in high school, I am eligible for a full ride to USU, MSU, and UNLV, so cost of tuition isn't a factor in my decision. I was wondering which of these states is my best option. I'm nonreligious and liberal (which makes me hesitant about Utah), I love cold weather, I love the beautiful landscapes of Utah and Montana, and I am looking for a place with a decent music scene.

Thanks in advance! I really can't decide.
This is only a decision that you can make. You cannot rely on strangers to make life altering decisions for you. The only way to know is to visit each city and tour each campus.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Between Bozeman and Logan I'd say that USU has a better campus but Bozeman is the better fit culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.