Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
I hate security though, I want to work with biological life forms like plants and animals.
They approved medical cannabis in Illlinois in January, but so far they have only 1 dispensary open! The state, including Chicago, will be needing lots of people working in dispensaries, grow houses, etc. soon!

Illinois issues first medical marijuana dispensary license | WQAD.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:10 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
My advice is to get your driver's license, work and save enough to get a van. Then next spring you can take off and will at least have a place to sleep. Trying to start a new life without a vehicle is very difficult.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:01 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Just remember that because of the oil boom rents in Wiliston rivaled SF and NYC. But with oil prices so low now maybe that's not the case.
yes Williston is still quite expensive.... rents are coming down....but certainly higher than the other ND cities. Most of ND is not really cheap...unless you live in a very small town. I live across the river from Grand Forks ND. Plenty of jobs to be had in areas not in the oil fields....but cost of living is higher than one expects. Gas, utilities, real estate taxes, housing...not like the southern U.S. which is considerably cheaper.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Ohio is cheap though similar in weather to MA.

I live in Toledo, OH and contrary to what people believe we actually have a lot of jobs for low skilled workers here. Unemployment is pretty much the same as the national average, about 5%. Mostly they are in production or manufacturing and retail though. We also have security jobs and healthcre is a big industry here. People here like to complain that there are "no jobs" but really there are a lot of jobs and everyone I know who wants to work has found work within 2 months. If you go to a staffing agency, they will put you in a production/manufacturing job within 1 week in most cases.

Rent here is really cheap as well. There are places here for rent between $300-500 a month that are pretty decent places. But IMO, one needs a car here if you don't have family. We have buses but they are not as good as they used to be and most of the low skill jobs in production are out in the middle of nowhere and don't have reliable transit. Even though my husband is degreed he was sick of office work so went to a temp agency and they got him a production job making a good wage within 2 days.

ETA: Ohio is also voting on legalizing marijuana in the upcoming election. So there will be opportunities for participating in that business here as well if it passes.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 PM

650 posts, read 867,608 times
North Dakota? I hear they got jobs out there.

Otherwise, id suggest any of the Midwest states.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:54 PM

78 posts, read 104,925 times
There are a nice handful of places around the US that are cheap, but even cheap places aren't going to help you if you don't have a plan.

Do you plan on getting a DL? Do you plan on going to school? Do you know what kind of job you want? How about a long term career? What kind of money do you live off of now and do you expect to have the same income in your next home? Your answers to these questions are going to change which places would be best for you.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Cheap now most likely won't be cheap later. You have to plan to be able to survive in a world where things are moving forward. So if you find an inexpensive place to live in now, be prepared to be able to afford it ten years down the line especially if it gets "discovered."

Old 09-19-2015, 06:03 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
It's pretty cheap in the Dayton, Ohio area. I know someone who bought their first house at age 21 in a suburb near there, because housing is inexpensive.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:29 PM

731 posts, read 935,463 times
"If you want to make some quick money and a change of pace, consider Williston, North Dakota. They're experiencing an oil boom. The cost of living is low, the jobs are well paying, and they'd take anyone."

Williston has crazy high rents (demand far exceeds supply), but if you're willing to stay in one of the dorm room like places, you could save up and have a fresh start to move somewhere else.

I definitely think you should move, but be careful that your unhappiness doesn't make you go to the opposite extreme. That rarely works for people.

I think the Midwest will get you the cheapest cost of living for a better wage (what you need is a job and living place that allow you to save money, not just get by), but you have to do the weather. Virginia could be a good place.

First, though, get yourself a trade. Maybe take a class at a community center that can help you figure out what type of job you might like. Landscaper (You will have to live somewhere where people can afford to hire landscapers)? Maintenance worker (school districts often have good benefits and custodians are paid decently)? Dog groomer? Plumber (they are paid very well!)? Get some experience and then get going. Where ever you go, you will need to make a living, so figure that piece out. No place is fun when you're flat broke. Also keep in mind that liking plants and animals (who doesn't, really?!) doesn't necessarily work out to a job you like. I love books, but working at Barnes and Noble is not about books. It's about retail and customer service (plus I spent too much of my wages on books!!). Petco will be the same way. Make a living at something that will help you afford to do things you enjoy. Travel agents can rarely afford to travel.

People who suggest towns with universities are on to something, also.

Whatever you do, don't come to the west coast. Cost of living is super high and you have to work in a high wage career to make it.

Change is good, though! Just give yourself time to adjust and don't mumble negative things about the new place you move to. I wish I had moved to a different state while I was younger.

Best of luck!

Last edited by RustinginSeattle; 09-19-2015 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM

222 posts, read 231,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
I live in Massachusetts, have my whole life, and hated it. I need to get a broad understanding of my options of where I should move too? No DL, No Degree, not a lot of job experience outside of a security company. One rule on this thread: Don't be a dick. Okay go!
What exactly do you 'hate' about Massachusetts and where exactly have you lived in MA.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.