Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:14 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Church is social for a lot of southerners, but more along the lines of 'are you looking for (or do you have) a church home' or a straight up invitation to their church, not 'where do you go to church'. The assumption is that most people go to church, because down here many people do, so they are being 'neighborly' in trying to help a newcomer find a church home. It's perfectly fine to nicely, respectfully tell them that you aren't looking for a church home or that you don't attend church or that you aren't christian. In my personal experience if you let the christians do their thing in peace, they'll pretty much leave you alone to do your thing in peace, with an occasional need for tolerance from both sides.
Bingo!

Just politely decline. I live in a place where I've never been asked or invited, but in smaller cities it's a form of being neighborly more than anything. Being intrusive is not their intent 99% of the time, it's their way of being welcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:21 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I guess a sense of humor isn't one of your strong points. I'm fairly certain it was sarcasm.
Actually, a sense of humor is one of my strong points. But I don't find that kind of thing funny. Sorry.

And, face it, there is some truth to it.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:28 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Hell, I can't even spell sarcasm.
But, any true Southerner will tell you , there is a lot of truth in the list.
Just what I thought.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:01 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Actually, a sense of humor is one of my strong points. But I don't find that kind of thing funny. Sorry.

And it mirrors your part of NE Ohio, if raw truth enters the conversation.

Greater Youngstown/Mahoning County and area isn't exactly a paragon of progressiveness when it comes to ANY category. Glass houses...

Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I'm a Pagan how will that go over?
My husband and I are both pagan..and live in the South. Just smile and say thank you, if they invite you to church. Then just don't talk about it anymore.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

Like I said.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

If you drink alcoholic beverages you will not be invited to our home and our children were not allowed to visit homes where either drugs or alcohol are part of the scene. It is a safety issue for us. Both those are mind altering. We don't prefer to be around people who are out of their minds. I would never tell you that to your face, but most people from the North and West who never adjust are usually drinkers or condescending loud mouths. Good conservative Christians are usually welcomed with open arms.

And drop the SO. We have husbands and wives here.
OP, I live in Georgia, and the absolute worst thing about living in the south is people like this poster.

In the city I live in, there are more churches per capita than any other city in the US, yet we are consistently named as the worst city to live in. That's because most of those churches don't do a damn thing for anyone but their pastor, what with their new car and mansion, and the people who attend said churches are mostly hypocrites. You see them in the bar cheating on their wives, but they'll be in church wearing their Sunday best and act like they don't know you.

The summer is hot as hell, but we have lots of lakes and waterways, and you can always get a place with a pool.

Racism is rampant, but it is mostly between the white trash rednecks and the most extreme "pantherish" blacks. The rest of us play well together.

Come on down, and welcome!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Homosexual marriage has been made legal against the will of the people in the South. It was done by the edict issued by the Supreme Court. Don't mistake compliance for acceptance.
Speak for yourself. A lot of people in the south have true compassion for others and don't need a book that was written by a mortal to explain to them how to treat their fellow man. God made all of us, and he wants everyone to be happy.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Hell, I can't even spell sarcasm.
But, any true Southerner will tell you , there is a lot of truth in the list.
So any true Southerner is an azzhole?

Born and raised in the South, and I don't even remotely think like this. Maybe because I have brains.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I'm a Pagan how will that go over?
You'll be fine.

If you don't ridicule the religious beliefs of others.

In other words, worry more about your own behaviors and attitudes than those of others. If you're friendly and have good manners, others will respond accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.