Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Just can't let it go, can you? YOU LOST. The rights of the minority are protected, but some in the majority are going to continue to argue like spoiled children.

Let it go. Marriage equality is here.
Yep, I know it's been said before, but now gay people get to be just as miserable as everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 03:39 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
And when states pass laws that infringe on the rights of its citizens, the Supreme Court can rule those laws unconstitutional. The state laws that you refer to have all been rendered null and void. It's like they never existed. What a wonderful thing that is too!
There is no right to marry, gay, straight, or otherwise. If it were a right, government wouldn't have been able to deny it for a couple of centuries. But those on the pro-gay marriage side seem to have very short memories...

I find it interesting that those who claim they have the right to marry didn't claim 9th Amendment grounds, but instead relied upon a twisting of the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
There is no right to marry, gay, straight, or otherwise. If it were a right, government wouldn't have been able to deny it for a couple of centuries. But those on the pro-gay marriage side seem to have very short memories...

I find it interesting that those who claim they have the right to marry didn't claim 9th Amendment grounds, but instead relied upon a twisting of the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.
Yes there is. The Supreme Court confirmed it. Get over it.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:11 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
It must be time to post the official Southern Tourist guidelines.

Rules For Visiting Yankees From the Southern Tourism Bureau:
1. Don’t order pasta primavera at Waffle House. It’s just a diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they know. If you confuse them, they’ll kick your ***.
2. Don’t laugh at our Southern names (Merleen, Bodie, Ovine, Luther Ray, Tammy Lynn, Darla Beth, Inez, Billy Joe, Sissy, Clovis, etc.). Or we will just HAVE to kick your ***.
3. Don’t order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here it’s called Coke. Nobody gives a flying damn whether it’s Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7 Up or whatever-it’s still a Coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an *** kicking.
4. We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you (e.g., Welty, Williams, Faulkner). We are also better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don’t refer to us as a bunch of hillbillies, or we’ll kick your ***.
5. We have plenty of business sense (e.g., Fred Smith of FedEx, Turner Broadcasting, MCI WorldCom, MTV, Netscape). Naturally, we do sometimes, have small lapses in judgment (e.g., Carter, Clinton). We don’t care if you think we are dumb. We are not dumb enough to let someone move to our state in order to run for the Senate. If someone tried to do that, we would kick their ***.
6. Don’t laugh at our Civil War monuments. If Lee had listened to Longstreet and flanked Meade at Gettysburg instead of sending Pickett up the middle, you’d be paying taxes to Richmond instead of Washington. If you visit Stone Mountain and complain about the carving, we’ll kick your ***.
7. We are fully aware of how high the humidity is, so shut the hell up. Just spend your money and get the hell out of here, or we’ll kick your ***.

8. Don’t order wheat toast at Cracker Barrel. Everyone will instantly know that you’re a Yankee. Eat your biscuits like God intended-with gravy. And don’t put sugar on your grits, or we’ll kick your ***.
9. Don’t fake a Southern accent. This will incite a riot, and you will get your *** kicked.
10. Don’t talk about how much better things are at home because we know better. Many of us have visited Northern cesspools like Detroit, Chicago, and DC, and we have the scars to prove it. If you don’t like it here, Delta is ready when you are. Move your *** on home before it gets kicked.
11. Yes, we know how to speak proper English. We talk this way because we don’t want to sound like you. We don’t care if you don’t understand what we are saying. All other Southerners understand what we are saying, and that’s all that matters. Now, go away and leave us alone, or we’ll kick your ***.
12. Don’t complain that the South is dirty and polluted. None of OUR lakes or rivers have caught fire recently. If you whine about OUR scenic beauty, we’ll kick your *** all the way back to Boston Harbor.
13. Don’t ridicule our Southern manners. We say sir and ma’am. We hold doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet little gray-haired grandmothers or they’ll kick some manners into your *** just like they did ours.
14. So you think we’re quaint or losers because most of us live in the countryside? That’s because we have enough sense to not live in filthy, smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or Baltimore. Make fun of our fresh air, and we’ll kick your ***.
15. Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE to come down here and tell us how to barbecue. This will get your *** shot (right after it is kicked). You’re lucky we let you come down here at all. Criticize our barbecue, and you will go home in a pine box. Minus your ***.

Wow. Well this pretty much sums up why I would not want to live there. "Spend your money and go home" - So much for southern hospitality.

Sounds pretty violent, lots of rules and threats mixed with veiled regional chauvinism.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:30 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Wow. Well this pretty much sums up why I would not want to live there. "Spend your money and go home" - So much for southern hospitality.

Sounds pretty violent, lots of rules and threats mixed with veiled regional chauvinism.
I guess a sense of humor isn't one of your strong points. I'm fairly certain it was sarcasm.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:49 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
LMAO!!! I guess I can understand your point of view though, considering you live in perhaps the rudest and most un-Southern part of the South around Naples. Unless you're spending big bucks on Marco Island, true Southern hospitality was erased from there years ago.

At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are just minutes away from friendly, Southern places that can ground you like Immokalee, Jerome & Miles City.
None of those places are "Southern". And only a handful of people even live in Jerome and Miles City.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:00 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I guess a sense of humor isn't one of your strong points. I'm fairly certain it was sarcasm.
Hell, I can't even spell sarcasm.
But, any true Southerner will tell you , there is a lot of truth in the list.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
None of those places are "Southern". And only a handful of people even live in Jerome and Miles City.
Did you even comprehend my post? Of course they are. They're about as Southern as it gets in SW Florida, and it doesn't matter how many live there. They are extremely Southern, and they are right in Naples' backyard.

And any native Floridian without an agenda can readily confirm that MANY parts of Florida are Southern, including segments of all of the metro areas. Just because you hate the South, you can't escape the fact that you live in it, with extremely 'Southern' locales and culture very nearby your little bubble.

It's all good, though. No region is monolithic, the South perhaps being the best example.

Last edited by JMatl; 09-20-2015 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 06:35 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Did you even comprehend my post? Of course they are. They're about as Southern as it gets in SW Florida, and it doesn't matter how many live there. They are extremely Southern, and they are right in Naples' backyard.

And any native Floridian without an agenda can readily confirm that MANY parts of Florida are Southern, including segments of all of the metro areas. Just because you hate the South, you can't escape the fact that you live in it, with extremely 'Southern' locales and culture very nearby your little bubble.

It's all good, though. No region is monolithic, the South perhaps being the best example.
Immokalee is 70% hispanic. Not very "southern" if ask me. Someone from Memphis or Atlanta would feel completely out of their element in Immokalee.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Immokalee is 70% hispanic. Not very "southern" if ask me. Someone from Memphis or Atlanta would feel completely out of their element in Immokalee.
Just as you will feel completely out of your element in Jacksonville. It works both ways.

And what if Immokalee is majority Hispanic now? Miami is also majority Hispanic, but that doesn't erase either places traditions or history.

The majority of Immokalee is Hispanic because native-born Americans no longer do farm work. The people that own and run the place are as Southern as they have always been, and you and everyone else in Collier County know it.

Keep denying that you live in the South, though. Your desperation to separate yourself from the region has become very entertaining.

I have a question for you, though. Do they slobber all over themselves in Immokalee when trying to speak like they supposedly do in Atlanta? I've heard they do in Bonita Springs, for what it's worth....

Last edited by JMatl; 09-20-2015 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.