Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times

Advertisements

What?!! Houston is a coastal city. OMG really CD.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:26 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
All cities without commerce are nothing, No city can function without jobs, NYC would be a third world hood if all the jobs were taken away Manhattan would be a lot cheaper than it is k=now without the niche industries, in fact the third world would be better because most third world cites that are even semi developed have large industries that if taken away from the city would plunge the city back into pre-urban culture. It is very simple
Cities= Jobs, Manhattan, Seattle, Portland, Boston and midland cities too would be terrible without jobs period.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:36 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Point is, that's a much more truthful assessment of midland cities in the US relative to coastal ones. YMMV.
Houston is right on the Gulf Coast. Go pick up a map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've been to Chicago and many salt water beaches. Trust me, with the sea gulls flying around and not seeing land on the other side of the lake it looks just like an ocean beach.

But the best part, the sand is nice, and the water looks beautiful blue green in color. The water along beaches in Texas looks like brown murky river water you can't see your hand in three inches below the surface. Yuk. I wouldn't want to swim in the water along Galveston.

Just look at the difference.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...IVypWICh18vwXI

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...veston+beaches

Yes indeed, brown river water. Never seen ocean water like that before.

Diana's Delights: Galveston Beach

Texas really got burned when it comes to beaches. Not only that, many of them are badly eroded and will continue to erode for the far future.
It should be kept in mind that the brownness of the water and erosion on areas of the Texas coast is not natural at all; the situation is actually completely man-made. The natural water of the Texas shoreline would be as clear as Destin if not for such human interference.

Also, you flip-flop a lot on your positions, almost as if you are bi-polar; it wasn't too long ago that you said this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/36173307-post31.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Outside of the Midland cities that were largely settled on the basis of commerce alone, I think there are many more layers to cities than ONLY commerce. This is especially true on the East and West Coasts.
And several cities on this "midland" you speak of have more layers to them beyond commerce than many cities on the East and West Coasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
What?!! Houston is a coastal city. OMG really CD.....
I've seen middle-school debate kids craft better arguments than the vast majority of posters on this website.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

It should be kept in mind that the brownness of the water and erosion on areas of the Texas coast is not natural at all; the situation is actually completely man-made. The natural water of the Texas shoreline would be as clear as Destin if not for such human interference.

Also, you flip-flop a lot on your positions, almost as if you are bi-polar; it wasn't too long ago that you said this:

And several cities on this "midland" you speak of have more layers to them beyond commerce than many cities on the East and West Coasts.

I've seen middle-school debate kids craft better arguments than the vast majority of posters on this website.

First off, that is not Galveston. Secondly, that pic was obviously taken on a very good day and is not usual. I have since been looking at loads of aerial photos and drone flights over the TX coasts, and it almost never looks like that pic I posted back then. You live and learn and change your positions and you become more aware of how it really looks.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

And btw, you might want to pop on over to the weather forum where we are discussing just how much more subtropical in winter Australia is than Atlanta or Houston and the entire US South. Melbourne is far warmer than Houston in winter when you consider just how cold Houston gets every so many winters.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:13 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
First off, that is not Galveston. Secondly, that pic was obviously taken on a very good day and is not usual. I have since been looking at loads of aerial photos and drone flights over the TX coasts, and it almost never looks like that pic I posted back then. You live and learn and change your positions and you become more aware of how it really looks.
1.)It shows that the entire Texas coastline is not with the muddy-looking water; only the northern areas of the coastline around Galveston are like that. Go to South Padre, Corpus, etc, and it is never muddy; the water is nice and blue.

2.)You must know that the murkiness of the water off the Texas coast is not natural at all; unchecked, careless, human interference in the US over the years has altered geography in a way that causes the north Texas coastal waters to be brown. The natural water of the Texas shore would be very blue and clear, if not like Destin; you can see this from the fact that the shoreline has sea-grass ecosystems, as well as coral reefs in relatively close proximity.

Quote:
And btw, you might want to pop on over to the weather forum where we are discussing just how much more subtropical in winter Australia is than Atlanta or Houston and the entire US South. Melbourne is far warmer than Houston in winter when you consider just how cold Houston gets every so many winters.
Perhaps Melbourne and Australia has just been lucky in this climate cycle, while the US South was unlucky. The coldness in the US South has been seeing at times may not be normal at all, for all we know.

People in the Houston/Galveston aren't missing out on awesome subtropical winters. Galveston, for instance, is stable enough during winter to grow these:

https://txtriffidranch.wordpress.com...-in-january-2/

Old 10-01-2015, 11:29 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Well though I WILL defend Chicago. I surely DO NOT want Houston or Galveston's assets denied too. I responded to attempts to lesson and lower Chicago's beaches and Value of being right on Lake Michigan's Shoreline. I defended why it IS Also a COASTLINE and definitions clearly include a Large Lake too..... and yes Lake Michigan's waters are hues of Blues/greens.

I have made comments on Coastal Texas East of Galveston and clearly in Galveston's Metro 50 miles from Downtown Houston. 50 miles from a City core is really pushing it in most cities as its Metro. But not the Sprawl that is Houston.

I have been made aware how Changes made to how the Mississippi River's delta. Has had its sentiment patterns altered. That is what then gives murkiness to East Texas Waters to Galveston. But I DO NOT think it is Fair to claim Galveston is ALL murky waters too. It CLEARLY BY GALVESTON takes on the BLUE/GREEN HUES AGAIN. Though currents may give it some grayer days..... ANY PICTURES OF CORPUS CHRISTI IS NEARLY 200 MILES EAST OF HOUSTON to be more BLUE/GREEN WATERS.

But the Texas Coast DOES NOT TAKE ON THE LOOK OF A SUB-TROPICAL PARADISE OF PALM TREES. Even in many coastal Photos. But surely Palm trees could survive and private home owners have them in yards.

COULD TEXAS HAVE HAD A PALM TREE PLANTING PROGRAM FOR ITS COASTLINE? I WOULD CALL FLORIDA AND TOWARD LOUISIANA SUB-TROPICAL. But not nearly as much the Texas Coast. Galveston did...

I still maintain Texas and Houston. Still could have did MORE COASTAL RESTORATION and Set Oceanfront back TOTALLY for the Public much more BEACH RECONSTRUCTION and Parkland. Comparing it to Malibu CA as mostly private. Is only one city. In the scope of the State.

I still maintain....For most of Houston's History, it TURNED its BACK on the Oceanfront, and satisfied with leaving Galveston to have it maintained and restored as necessary.

As I said before.... Downtown Houston is 50 miles from the Ocean. Philly is 62 miles from The NJ Ocean Shore. NO ONE sees Philly as a COASTAL CITY. It is Harder in context differences of Texas DISTANCES, and Other Parts of the nation. Though with Philly. They can connect to Atlantic City by a VIRTUALLY STRAIGHT EXPRESSWAY/FREEWAY it is that direct. A little over a hours drive for them.

Many Houstonians can probably do Galveston in that time too. But in reality there are PLENTY Of Oceanfront Resorts along the NJ shore. Atlantic City really is not seen as a FOR THE Beach resort for a few decades now. Most are south of there. Northern NJ tends to have GRAYER Waters too, but not murky.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Chicago's lakeshore is very nice indeed, but just because you cannot see the other side does not equate it to a saltwater beach.

Salt makes you bouyant, and I always noticed while swimming in Lake Michigan that it's quite tiring swimming out there because the water really seems to weigh you down. Not to mention, even though the water has a pretty blue color, up close you can literally see and feel tiny bits of algae that are literally everywhere. This is natural as it is a fresh body of water, but it's not pleasant.

The lake also has a weird freshwater smell that most all lakes in warmer summer areas have. Before anyone points this out, I will mention that saltwater harbor areas definitely have a pungent smell during low tide, but this is really secluded to harbors and bays, the actual ocean, at least where I'm from, only has a fresh salty odor.

Lastly, and obviously without heavy scientific evidence to support it, but saltwater seems to have many holistic benefits over freshwater.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Chicago's lakeshore is very nice indeed, but just because you cannot see the other side does not equate it to a saltwater beach.

Salt makes you bouyant, and I always noticed while swimming in Lake Michigan that it's quite tiring swimming out there because the water really seems to weigh you down. Not to mention, even though the water has a pretty blue color, up close you can literally see and feel tiny bits of algae that are literally everywhere. This is natural as it is a fresh body of water, but it's not pleasant.

The lake also has a weird freshwater smell that most all lakes in warmer summer areas have. Before anyone points this out, I will mention that saltwater harbor areas definitely have a pungent smell during low tide, but this is really secluded to harbors and bays, the actual ocean, at least where I'm from, only has a fresh salty odor.

Lastly, and obviously without heavy scientific evidence to support it, but saltwater seems to have many holistic benefits over freshwater.
I certainly realize when in Chicago in summer... vs. Florida . I really REALLY KNOW.... YOU CAN'T DUPLICATE THAT OCEAN SMELL IN THE BREEZE....

It obviously is not with ALL the nuances and traits of the Ocean..... so the BUTS come in... in some of the details. obviously in LOOKS, CHICAGO'S BEACHES COMPARE. Aesthetics on the beach to... is mostly too.... But not what a Ocean has in Aesthetics other then similarities. Though....a 1000 miles from the ocean, IT IS DARN GOOD.

But I surely felt to defend Chicago on Blue/green waters, sand on its beaches, Waves can be strong on a windy day. As most days there is a breeze. But it can take on quite a calm appearance too. As it is not a ocean of Continuous steady BIG waves... Sometimes lower sometimes stronger.. that can intensify and back to normal constant level of waves. Like a ocean for sure.

Chicago's Lake wave amount is not based high/low tides or pull from the moon either. Wind and Pressure yes.

But comments here.....TRIED TO LESSEN what CHICAGO actually has on its shoreline... so I proved it DOES HAVE VALID BEACHES AND A COASTLINE AND BLUE/GREEN HUES OF ITS CLEAR WATERS.

But I do LOVE a OCEAN BREEZE because of its scent.... At my workplace, is kind of on top of a mountain along a interstate in PA. Sometimes a moist breeze comes up over the mountains.....and for some reason..... Takes on and reminds me of that...... mmmmmm so soothing .....Ocean scent. For a minute even just coming out of work heading to my car. I'm transported to a Florida Beach.... Then reality sets in......

Then sometimes I sense the Chicago Subway dampness instead...LOL I can't say I sensed a bad smell from Lake Michigan.... Even on the River that probably at one time did.

After all.... it was so polluted once it was dead as a part sewer/industrial waste one. The Chicago River's flow was reversed and Locks put in to go into Lake Michigan. To SPARE THE DRINKING WATER FOM THE LAKE GETTING INFECTED. Now THE CHICAGO RIVER is a few feet LOWER then the LAKE. CHANGED To FLOW AWAY FROM LAKE MICHIGAN TO THE MISSISIPPI RIVER. So the GULF EVENTUALLY GETS IT....LOL.

If you take a Boat tour/River and lake. To see Chicago's Skyline. You surely know you go through the locks, to RAISE TO THE LAKE LEVEL. Once in the Lake its much cooler, breezier and more blue. While the River is a bit more green.

The City was once even a bit swampy before the great fire with muddy streets after rains that could stick around. The New SECOND CITY THAT AROSE. After realizing after new brick homes were built. That they should have RAISED THEM AND STREETS TOO. So those still lower neighborhoods got their streets risen. Some houses too were. In a GOOD SIZED UNDERTAKING.

Original homes on them streets still show a LOWER front from that era being lower then the new streets.
Many times the NEW INFILL takes on that lower front look too. Also them blocks had the raised street all the way to the sidewalks. So they appear wider then other streets that still had a green space from the sidewalk to street.

Examples. Old Wicker Park. OLDEST HOMES HAVE LOWER THEN THE STREETS PARTS....

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9053...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9045...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by steeps; 10-01-2015 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 06:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
Houston will NEVER pass Chicago in our lifetime as a more important city to American society and culture/relevance.I'm sorry but that is just way out of the question. It for sure will never pass Chicago in terms of respect for the city from fellow Americans. I do think that Houston could for sure beat out chicago in the job market, in population, and in economy within the next couple of decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.