Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,005,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Well though I WILL defend Chicago. I surely DO NOT want Houston or Galveston's assets denied too. I responded to attempts to lesson and lower Chicago's beaches and Value of being right on Lake Michigan's Shoreline. I defended why it IS Also a COASTLINE and definitions clearly include a Large Lake too..... and yes Lake Michigan's waters are hues of Blues/greens.

I have made comments on Coastal Texas East of Galveston and clearly in Galveston's Metro 50 miles from Downtown Houston. 50 miles from a City core is really pushing it in most cities as its Metro. But not the Sprawl that is Houston.

I have been made aware how Changes made to how the Mississippi River's delta. Has had its sentiment patterns altered. That is what then gives murkiness to East Texas Waters to Galveston. But I DO NOT think it is Fair to claim Galveston is ALL murky waters too. It CLEARLY BY GALVESTON takes on the BLUE/GREEN HUES AGAIN. Though currents may give it some grayer days..... ANY PICTURES OF CORPUS CHRISTI IS NEARLY 200 MILES EAST OF HOUSTON to be more BLUE/GREEN WATERS.

But the Texas Coast DOES NOT TAKE ON THE LOOK OF A SUB-TROPICAL PARADISE OF PALM TREES. Even in many coastal Photos. But surely Palm trees could survive and private home owners have them in yards.

COULD TEXAS HAVE HAD A PALM TREE PLANTING PROGRAM FOR ITS COASTLINE? I WOULD CALL FLORIDA AND TOWARD LOUISIANA SUB-TROPICAL. But not nearly as much the Texas Coast. Galveston did...

I still maintain Texas and Houston. Still could have did MORE COASTAL RESTORATION and Set Oceanfront back TOTALLY for the Public much more BEACH RECONSTRUCTION and Parkland. Comparing it to Malibu CA as mostly private. Is only one city. In the scope of the State.

I still maintain....For most of Houston's History, it TURNED its BACK on the Oceanfront, and satisfied with leaving Galveston to have it maintained and restored as necessary.

As I said before.... Downtown Houston is 50 miles from the Ocean. Philly is 62 miles from The NJ Ocean Shore. NO ONE sees Philly as a COASTAL CITY. It is Harder in context differences of Texas DISTANCES, and Other Parts of the nation. Though with Philly. They can connect to Atlantic City by a VIRTUALLY STRAIGHT EXPRESSWAY/FREEWAY it is that direct. A little over a hours drive for them.

Many Houstonians can probably do Galveston in that time too. But in reality there are PLENTY Of Oceanfront Resorts along the NJ shore. Atlantic City really is not seen as a FOR THE Beach resort for a few decades now. Most are south of there. Northern NJ tends to have GRAYER Waters too, but not murky.
Houston Downtown is 50 miles from Galveston but it is only 20 miles from the coast, parts of Houston touches a saltwater bay that leads into the ocean. Houston when talking about the city is not coastal and it's economy didn't depend on the coast in one bit till recently with the ship channel several decades ago. It is like saying NYC turned it's back on the coast because Manhattan isn't where Staten Island or Brooklyn is etc. Metro wise as soon as Galveston and Houston metro became one some 30+ years ago Houston Metro wise became a coastal metro, city wise the coast is only a recent part of it's local history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
I can't confirm this but I remember hearing of dolphins being spotted in the Ship Channel well within the urban area of Houston. Definitely not something you'd see in Chicago.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Chicago's lakeshore is very nice indeed, but just because you cannot see the other side does not equate it to a saltwater beach.

Salt makes you bouyant, and I always noticed while swimming in Lake Michigan that it's quite tiring swimming out there because the water really seems to weigh you down. Not to mention, even though the water has a pretty blue color, up close you can literally see and feel tiny bits of algae that are literally everywhere. This is natural as it is a fresh body of water, but it's not pleasant.

The lake also has a weird freshwater smell that most all lakes in warmer summer areas have. Before anyone points this out, I will mention that saltwater harbor areas definitely have a pungent smell during low tide, but this is really secluded to harbors and bays, the actual ocean, at least where I'm from, only has a fresh salty odor.

Lastly, and obviously without heavy scientific evidence to support it, but saltwater seems to have many holistic benefits over freshwater.
LOL, sounds good Moonbeam

Old 10-02-2015, 11:22 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,341,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
LOL, sounds good Moonbeam
I cannot confirm, and I don't have a peer-reviewed source to support this statement, but I once heard that unicorns piloted steamboats down the Chicago river. Can Houston top that?!

Old 10-02-2015, 04:46 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,005,007 times
Yeah, we have giant flying cockroaches piloting our boats down Trinity River, beat that.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:25 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I can't confirm this but I remember hearing of dolphins being spotted in the Ship Channel well within the urban area of Houston. Definitely not something you'd see in Chicago.
Upper Galveston Bay Bottlenose Dolphin Monitoring Project

Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,255,511 times
I Do miss the Jellyfish.... the Lake just ain't got none of them thar varmints in Lake Michigan..... BUT THEY DO HAVE SALMON THAT SPAWN...... and seasonal Salmon fishing.... ....

You can do this in Chicago too.... or better yet... on a boat... ....or on a beach.....

'

Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 PM

9,002 posts, read 10,131,703 times
Anywhere in Texas over Chicago

Personally, I'd prefer Dallas....

Old 10-02-2015, 11:27 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,901,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
First off, that is not Galveston. Secondly, that pic was obviously taken on a very good day and is not usual. I have since been looking at loads of aerial photos and drone flights over the TX coasts, and it almost never looks like that pic I posted back then. You live and learn and change your positions and you become more aware of how it really looks.
It is also worth noting that Galveston's beaches do indeed get better along the southern areas of the island, like around Pointe West:
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...e-beach-so.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...01903c77fe.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...est-resort.jpg
http://403.mlsimages.movoto.com/034/95503434_1.jpg
https://imagesus-ssl.homeaway.com/md...ff86634ac.1.10

Nothing but praise and cheers for these southern Galveston beaches:
Pointe West Resort (Galveston, TX) - Condominium Reviews - TripAdvisor
Pointe West Oceanfront Resort & Club - 34 Photos - Apartments - Galveston, TX - Reviews - Yelp

Combined with rich, interesting history and culture, and warm climate conducive to cultivating all sorts of exotic plants, Galveston, in many ways, is indeed a subtropical island paradise.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:32 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
A boy was just bitten by a shark in Galveston...give me a fresh-water body of water, ANY day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.