Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:06 PM

35 posts, read 33,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
She's going to dump you if you move to north carolina.
haha may I ask why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
he probably has never been out of his home state, I would post in the north carolina sub forum if you want to really find out about nc or wherever you want to go. most people on here just spend their time putting down other places they have never been to, but they claim to have been everywhere . You will love north carolina.

It has beautiful beaches, raleigh/chapel hill has warm weather most of the year,tons of great restaurant and you have tons of universities and cultural stuff to do, she will love it. You have the mountains to the west as well, the research triangle area is one one of the highest area in the country for STEM and it jobs. Glass door just rated it as the top city for new tech jobs. 25 Best Cities For Jobs | Glassdoor Blog

I would take her to the outer banks and go horseback riding and camping along the beach or down to wrightsville beach or kure beach and go sailing, I love boating and the inlet and there is so many opportunities to sail there, we can boat the entire southeast coast and the islands and it is amazing sailing . I also love horseback riding and work with horses and its a great state for riding, especially when you can ride near the coast which is pretty rare. maryland is really nice but it sounds like she doesnt want to move up north .The rtp area has jordan lake and tons of greenways and green space and lakes. you can be down in wilmington/wrightsville in no time from raleigh,

I would like to move to a coastal city in florida or california but I am thinking about moving back to raleigh where I went to grad school because of the cost of living is high in california and you get alot more in nc than you would in california for the price , the job market for STEM jobs in rtp area is awesome and it is a beautiful state. few states have beaches and mountains and places like the outer banks where you can camp near the beach plus all the universities and culture you have with duke and carolina/nc state in the triangle .

take her to the triangle and kayaking and sailing along the coast and to the mountains in asheville,boone and the blue ridge parkway and appalachian trail and she will be sold. Asheville, chapel hill,wilmington and raleigh all have great music scenes which I love as well being a musician

pics from wikimedia commons and wikipedia

outer banks nc

wrightsville/kure beach

asheville nc

blue ridge parkway

Last edited by floridanative10; 09-15-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 09:42 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
My top choices would be DC area and South FL. DC is not "affordable" but she can survive without driving in many areas and not just "downtown." It is not cheap and can get pretty cold, but it's easy to get to, a good place for people to visit you, has beaches close by, you would presumably have a plethora of opportunities and the culture shock would be minimized in this international and cosmopolitan metro.

South FL might be less of an ideal career move but it's a huge metro with certainly plenty of possibilities. Obviously warm weather and excellent beaches. Things have been/are rapidly transforming to offer more and more urban living options and the transit is ok (by US standards) already. Has a bit of Euro influence too.

Asheville, Savannah and Charleston are cool cities and good places to live but they are an enormous departure from the vibrancy, density, excitement, diversity, and nightlife of Prague. If she can handle that change then great!! If not then you'll need to look at the larger places.

Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando and Tampa are possibilities but more of a departure from your criteria imo.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
I didnt post any pics in the areas I am looking at in raleigh. some neighborhoods in the research triangle area. very wooded and green towns and very college oriented area. loads of bookstores and concerts,films,biking and loads of greenways for running and outdoor space

wikimedia commons and common use photos

oakwood

boylan heights brew pub nd boylan heights neighbrhood

five points raleigh

cameron park cameron village shopping center area

chapel hill/carrboro reminds me alot of old town Alexandria

Old 09-16-2015, 01:12 AM

Wow thanks for all the responses. Raleigh really looks beautiful and I am really excited to come check it out. I like to here that the tech scene is doing pretty well as that will hopefully benefit me in my job search.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:50 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Hello USA&France,

I'm an American living in Paris with my long-term French partner and we've also thought about moving back to the US for a little while, but she (my partner) has a lot more "thoughts/requirements" than you two seem to have so I thought I'd ask before offering my opinion. Does your partner want somewhere with a somewhat similar way of life? You mentioned weather, what about how walkable the area is, public transportation, speed of life, nature, amenities/size (you mentioned east coast for closer to her family, airports might come into play), access to French culture or a French community (talking about little things that add up after a while like missing pain au chocolat, or chocolatine if she's from the SW of France), etc. Maybe think about little things that you've missed and try to work it from her perspective to try and anticipate things to make the move easier, constant homesickness can be a real downer on a relationship!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:41 AM

4,509 posts, read 4,042,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA&France View Post
haha may I ask why?
When you think of moving to another country, do you even consider the ho hum diddle average like parts of that country? Most people when they go to live in another country only want to live in their world recognized cultural centers.

I would recommend DC if anywhere farther north is too cold for you.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 AM

401 posts, read 649,647 times
DC on the East Coast. I would recommend you to check out the west coast especially if she really hates winter.
Don't move south of DC, she's probably not going to like it too much in terms of culture and people.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
I know the last two posters had the same recommendation as me, but I would not agree that there's no way your girlfriend would be happy elsewhere in the south. It really depends on the person...but yes, DC would minimize the adjustment. Miami and Atlanta are quite international as well...with Atlanta being far from the beach and Miami right on it.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
DC on the East Coast. I would recommend you to check out the west coast especially if she really hates winter.
Don't move south of DC, she's probably not going to like it too much in terms of culture and people.
She lived in Richmond for a year and she loved it. She wants to move back to the south as she found people to be friendly and helpful. She is not so much European as many French people seem to be. She really wants to try out the authentic American lifestyle and I'm hoping I can show her this. She would also like her parents to get their 6 month per year visas to vacation in the USA (they are retired) and they would love to be somewhere warm, since they are both from the south of France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.