Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And as a black man, or a dark skinned Hispanic you are aware of the subtleties of racism, which can never be detected or proved...............

And of course that if you make accusations of racism, when you cannot furnish proof, you will be accused of having a chip on your shoulder, and ostracized.

Unless you have walked a mile in a man's shoe don't scream to him that it fits perfectly well.

Note to you. Racism isn't using the "N" word and burning crosses, or making loud racist statements. In 2015 it is usually a very subtle way of operating, which favors whites (especially men) and makes life a little harder for those who aren't. Some non whites being better able to negotiate around these barriers than are others, dependent on their personal characteristics.
I'd like to think that it applies to whites who live in non-white areas as well, but I can respect there are subtle differences as well.

I live in a predominately black neighborhood and am white, as are my wife and children. Last week I had my bike stolen from me while I was at home and my bike was far up my driveway and only outside for about 45 minutes maximum, at 10 in the morning on a Sunday. A few days later a group of [fill in the blank race teens] shouted "pow! pow! pow! pow!" at myself and my 2-year old daughter as we walked nonchalantly down our street on the way to the playground. In disbelief that this was somehow directed at us, I looked around to see if there was somebody else that may have been the intended target of this bullshucks, and found that somebody walking along the street behind the car confirmed my disbelief, but reassured me that this was his cousin, who was being "stupid", "crazy", and whatever the f_ck and basically apologized for his behavior. Although I was not frightened by any of this, it is certainly disconcerting, and it makes me not want to live where we live........because we're white, and an outcast, apparently. Not that we can complain (because of our white privilege), but I can at least respect how it might feel to be on the wrong end of the racial disparity equation.

My point is, it's not a one-way street, and it's not unique to any one race or creed.

*Note: it doesn't help that there have been three cases of children under the age of 5 who have been gunned down on this side of town in the past few weeks.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 10-06-2015 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
In fact you are illustrating the problem. You do not understand how others live and what they experience, and yet rather than listening, and maybe learning something you TELL them what they are thinking and what they experience.

Then you collapse into a tantrum.

Listen I know that seeing oneself as the norm, to the point where one don't even notice that this is how one sees themselves, renders one unable to empathize with others.

As a visible ethnic minority I know this, and have to adjust my life around this. You maybe happy to learn that white liberals are the WORST offenders.
I personally think we all deal with adversity, in our own ways. Nobody is unique in this regard, whites included. Whites may have it relatively easier than others, but we all struggle in our own ways. NOBODY is unique in struggling to make it in life. Believe it or not.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
this was his cousin, who was being "stupid", "crazy", and whatever the f_ck and basically apologized for his behavior.
My point is, it's not a one-way street, and it's not unique to any one race or creed.

*Note: it doesn't help that there have been three cases of children under the age of 5 who have been gunned down on this side of town in the past few weeks.

So one idiot acts like a knucklehead, and some one apologizes for his behavior.

Is this your serious attempt to pretend as if you as a white man live in a black dominated world, and that your economic success depends on how well you are able to engage this world?

Come up with another example, because this isn't it. The consequences of living in an extremely dangerous high crime community is exposure to criminals. Given that others have lost their lives and you lost a bicycle........................................... !!!! Willing to bet that it wasn't whites who were killed.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I personally think we all deal with adversity, in our own ways. Nobody is unique in this regard, whites included. Whites may have it relatively easier than others, but we all struggle in our own ways. NOBODY is unique in struggling to make it in life. Believe it or not.

We all have to deal with interpersonal adversity, but when we make all things equalm the closer one is to being an affluent white male, the easier life is. People deal with people who are like themselves.

To the extent that even you admit that whites have it easier, all things being equal, you are actually admitting that some have a tougher struggle than others. White privilege is a fact of life. As is male privilege, wealth privilege, etc.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
White privilege is a fact of life.
Being white generally means more financial security and greater access to worldly luxuries, but I don't think that necessarily equals a happier life.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
We all have to deal with interpersonal adversity, but when we make all things equalm the closer one is to being an affluent white male, the easier life is. People deal with people who are like themselves.

To the extent that even you admit that whites have it easier, all things being equal, you are actually admitting that some have a tougher struggle than others. White privilege is a fact of life. As is male privilege, wealth privilege, etc.
Have you ever been white before? Me neither, so I can't seriously comment on how much "privilege" they have.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
From my experience the DC to NYC corridor (DC/Northern Virginia, Baltimore metro, Central New Jersey, NYC metro) is overwhelmingly inclusive and accepting. When in doubt elsewhere, look at educational attainment statistics. Well-educated areas (40% or higher with college degrees) are pretty much always inclusive and accepting of varying backgrounds.
My experience as a White American is that education level is the biggest factor in racial empathy. Less educated Whites tend to blame their economic problems on "Darkies" rather than the real causes (lack of focus on education, being played by the rich). Educated people have a better grasp on history and had to learn about other people's history that we didn't learn in high school. You also meet people from all over the world if you go to a larger college. Meeting people from places like Iran, Russia, China, etc changed my view of the world.

I just moved from the more educated section of Louisville KY to a more working class part of the metro on the Indiana side. I never saw White supremacist bumper stickers until I moved. There's several just on my block. Pickup trucks flying Confederate flags are commonplace. Honestly I got off Facebook due to the thought sewer on race stuff.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM

24 posts, read 19,601 times
I wonder after this thread though, are there really any cities in the USA where it isn't too unheard of or unusual to see a reasonably attractive white woman with a minority that is along the lines of latino, asian and other more foreign races? I mean in places where it is common you should not get a lot of animosity.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Being white generally means more financial security and greater access to worldly luxuries, but I don't think that necessarily equals a happier life.

Debating happiness is a waste of time as it isn't quantifiable. What is quantifiable is that a white male with the same characteristics as a white female, or as a person of color, will experience fewer barriers in attaining upward mobility. White men embrace other white men more than they do others, and this remains a white male dominated country even as they account for only 33% of the population.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Have you ever been white before? Me neither, so I can't seriously comment on how much "privilege" they have.

Unlike you I have been in environments where I was the only black, and I was surrounded by white men. The advantages were very obvious.

The thing is that females and non white men know more about white men, than white men know about us. WHY? Because they do NOT have to, where as we have to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.