U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:03 AM

785 posts, read 1,256,111 times

Advertisements

Old town Alexandria VA, and Richmond VA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 05:30 AM

13,660 posts, read 20,154,408 times
I think Mobile, AL has the potential to be another boutique city similar to Charleston and Savannah. Also, a smaller Gulf Coast town that looked very nice when I drove through was Bay St. Louis, MS.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:35 AM

4,398 posts, read 7,590,093 times
Mobile at one time was a rival to both Charleston and Savannah before the urban renewal in the 60's but even with all that we have lost it's undeniable that Mobile is historic city with good bones. The city has a lot of great architetcure the city is filled with :Neo Classical , Greek Revival , Spanish Revival , Mission Revival , Creole Cottages , Italianate , Queen Ann , Late Victorian , Tudor and etc are all over the city.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:56 AM

7,601 posts, read 8,599,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But places like Wilmington, NC and St. Augustine, FL may be to the OP's liking.
St Augustine feels much more Spanish/European in aesthetic and architecture. But there is some southern culture there for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mobile at one time was a rival to both Charleston and Savannah before the urban renewal in the 60's but even with all that we have lost it's undeniable that Mobile is historic city with good bones. The city has a lot of great architetcure the city is filled with :Neo Classical , Greek Revival , Spanish Revival , Mission Revival , Creole Cottages , Italianate , Queen Ann , Late Victorian , Tudor and etc are all over the city.
Yeah, I think Mobile is a very appropriate comparison. Kind of a cross between New Orleans and Savannah.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:59 AM

36,059 posts, read 34,331,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
St Augustine feels much more Spanish/European in aesthetic and architecture. But there is some southern culture there for sure.

Yeah, I think Mobile is a very appropriate comparison. Kind of a cross between New Orleans and Savannah.
Mobile lost a lot of its historic urban fabric so it doesn't offer as intense of a historic pedestrian-oriented experience as Charleston and Savannah. It's probably more akin to Wilmington, NC in that regard.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:11 AM

7,601 posts, read 8,599,505 times
I see. This seems true.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:03 AM

217 posts, read 256,419 times
Richmond is probably closest to Savannah and Charleston.

Wilmington NC is similarly historic with a nice downtown but lacks the row homes of the above three cities.

Annapolis is historic, quaint with row homes but doesn't have southern culture of the other cities.

New Bern is a small quaint southern city but not as urban feeling as the ones above.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
Richmond is probably closest to Savannah and Charleston.
Richmond is historic and urban, but it's not really quaint and quite a bit larger than those two. Richmond's downtown functions as a business district that happens to be historic.

Quote:
Wilmington NC is similarly historic with a nice downtown but lacks the row homes of the above three cities.
Charleston has a few row homes, but not as much as Savannah which is more like mid-Atlantic cities in that regard. I think Wilmington probably as close as it gets in terms of similarities to these two.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,159,649 times
Alexandria was a very good suggestion. I think it is closer match than Wilmington or Mobile. The size and scale of Alexandria is pretty much identical to Charleston.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Alexandria was a very good suggestion. I think it is closer match than Wilmington or Mobile. The size and scale of Alexandria is pretty much identical to Charleston.
True; Old Town does remind me of Charleston's historic district in many ways and both of their main drags are even named King Street. But you're probably not going to get as many restaurants serving Southern cuisine as Charleston and Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.