U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 06:34 PM

204 posts, read 201,187 times

Advertisements

What about Natchez?

I mean, it's smaller, but it technically has the largest collection of antebellum structures still standing in the United States.

Seriously.

More Charleston and Savannah combined.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 07:14 PM

36,066 posts, read 34,361,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
What about Natchez?

I mean, it's smaller, but it technically has the largest collection of antebellum structures still standing in the United States.

Seriously.

More Charleston and Savannah combined.
I think it has the largest collection of antebellum homes (i.e., plantation mansions), not structures overall. They are located on large lots and on the outskirts from what I understand--very different from the urban rowhouses and single houses in the downtown historic districts of Savannah and Charleston, respectively.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:36 PM

15,301 posts, read 22,635,050 times
Very different, Natchez and the surrounding area is quite nice.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:01 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,731,198 times
I know its in DC but I feel like Georgetown has that same old historic feel to it.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 PM

650 posts, read 743,424 times
Not really.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:41 PM

10,926 posts, read 6,089,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would say no. New Orleans comes closest, but New Orleans is a big city and gritty as hell. New Orleans especially has some linkages with Savannah. Charleston, not so much.

There are some small cities, like Beaufort, that may have a hint of these cities, but no where else really compares.

Also, I know Charleston and Savannah are always grouped together, because they are old, historic and charming, but I feel they have very different vibes. Charleston feels much whiter, richer, more Republican, more preppy, more Old South, and was a bigger city in the past, has a bigger historic area, and is more of a foodie town. Savannah is somewhat messier, dirtier, more hipster, blacker, more edgy, less refined. They appeal to different people, IMO.

I find Charleston a bit stuffy and has too many rich old Republicans, but it's undeniable that it has a bigger historic core, more amenities and more culinary accolades.
I would agree with the bolded. I recently went on a trip to coastal GA and SC, and before the trip had assumed the two areas were very similar. But I actually found them to be quite different, surprisingly. Maybe surprisingly just because I've always heard them grouped together.

Your descriptions were close to what I observed in both (most striking differences to me were in how much bigger Charleston is, and the grittier feel of Savannah). Although you say it appeals to different types of people, I liked both (perhaps enjoyed Savannah a bit more, though, if I had to pick).

Old 09-21-2015, 02:14 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,689,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would say no. New Orleans comes closest, but New Orleans is a big city and gritty as hell. New Orleans especially has some linkages with Savannah. Charleston, not so much.

There are some small cities, like Beaufort, that may have a hint of these cities, but no where else really compares.

Also, I know Charleston and Savannah are always grouped together, because they are old, historic and charming, but I feel they have very different vibes. Charleston feels much whiter, richer, more Republican, more preppy, more Old South, and was a bigger city in the past, has a bigger historic area, and is more of a foodie town. Savannah is somewhat messier, dirtier, more hipster, blacker, more edgy, less refined. They appeal to different people, IMO.

I find Charleston a bit stuffy and has too many rich old Republicans, but it's undeniable that it has a bigger historic core, more amenities and more culinary accolades.
By bigger do you mean from a population standpoint, or do you mean in regards to its rank among other cities? Because it's currently the largest it's ever been from a population standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charleston has rich older folks, but what makes you think they are Republicans? Do old white Democrats look any different than old white Republicans? LOL

But I've always found the perspective of tourists to be interesting compared to folks who are from Charleston/SC and much more familiar with it. The characterization of it as a White town is always a bit funny to me.
I love the city, but I too also got the white Republican country club vibe from the city, but then again Charleston Democrats may just be different than what I'm used to.

As for its demographics, compared to other cities it is very white. The 2010 Census put the the city at 68.6% non-Hispanic white.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:52 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,546,484 times
Galveston, Texas?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:01 PM

36,066 posts, read 34,361,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I love the city, but I too also got the white Republican country club vibe from the city, but then again Charleston Democrats may just be different than what I'm used to.
So rich older White Democrats dress differently and aren't country club members? Lol...plus many, if not most, of those folks are tourists anyway.

Quote:
As for its demographics, compared to other cities it is very white. The 2010 Census put the the city at 68.6% non-Hispanic white.
The city proper is patchy and artificially small compared to the size of the overall metro, which is a result of SC's restrictive and archaic annexation laws. No doubt the historic district is rich and White, but that's quite unrepresentative of the larger area which has a significant African American presence. I guess because I'm familiar with the region being a native SC'er with roots in the Lowcountry, it's always a bit amusing when I read these sorts of characterizations.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:25 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,619,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So rich older White Democrats dress differently and aren't country club members? Lol...plus many, if not most, of those folks are tourists anyway.
The main difference between rich Democrats and rich Republicans is how they view those less fortunate.

Republicans do what's best for themselves and once they've made their money they tend to feel it's their duty to give back.

Democrats tend to do what's best (at least they think so, but it tends to backfire) for others up front, but don't apply these rules to themselves.

The issue is less a political one than a rich-poor divide.

People seem to dress for the weather or geographically from what I've seen.

N. Charleston seemed to have a fair number of black folks, but that said the historic and some of beach sections still felt very buttoned up to me. Whether that was the money aspect, the military clean cut look, or a combination of the the two it's hard to say.

Not to mention there was a lot of higher end shopping you're not expecting to see in a city of that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.