Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:20 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,261,548 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, are there any more classic southern cities like Charleston and Savannah? I mean stuff like historic architecture, tight streets, soul food everywhere, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 03:24 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,234,666 times
I would say no. New Orleans comes closest, but New Orleans is a big city and gritty as hell. New Orleans especially has some linkages with Savannah. Charleston, not so much.

There are some small cities, like Beaufort, that may have a hint of these cities, but no where else really compares.

Also, I know Charleston and Savannah are always grouped together, because they are old, historic and charming, but I feel they have very different vibes. Charleston feels much whiter, richer, more Republican, more preppy, more Old South, and was a bigger city in the past, has a bigger historic area, and is more of a foodie town. Savannah is somewhat messier, dirtier, more hipster, blacker, more edgy, less refined. They appeal to different people, IMO.

I find Charleston a bit stuffy and has too many rich old Republicans, but it's undeniable that it has a bigger historic core, more amenities and more culinary accolades.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:32 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,261,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would say no. New Orleans comes closest, but New Orleans is a big city and gritty as hell. New Orleans especially has some linkages with Savannah. Charleston, not so much.

There are some small cities, like Beaufort, that may have a hint of these cities, but no where else really compares.

Also, I know Charleston and Savannah are always grouped together, because they are old, historic and charming, but I feel they have very different vibes. Charleston feels much whiter, richer, more Republican, more preppy, more Old South, and was a bigger city in the past, has a bigger historic area, and is more of a foodie town. Savannah is somewhat messier, dirtier, more hipster, blacker, more edgy, less refined. They appeal to different people, IMO.

I find Charleston a bit stuffy and has too many rich old Republicans, but it's undeniable that it has a bigger historic core, more amenities and more culinary accolades.
Thanks, very interesting. I know Savannah has a bit of a rep for being gritty, but it's cool that they're different. New Orleans seems very imposing, I remember flying over it and thinking how big it was! From the plane it seemed even bigger than Houston tbh

Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,894,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Out of curiosity, are there any more classic southern cities like Charleston and Savannah? I mean stuff like historic architecture, tight streets, soul food everywhere, etc.
Winston-Salem as a historic district, but the city overall isn't that way.

Some people might mention Richmond as it has a lot of history there.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:56 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
There are smaller cities/towns that will give you the feeling without the bigger city buzz. Check out places like Beaufort SC, Madison GA, Abingdon VA, Jonesborough TN, Oxford MS and Natchitoches LA to name a few.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:57 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:

Charleston has rich older folks, but what makes you think they are Republicans? Do old white Democrats look any different than old white Republicans? LOL

But I've always found the perspective of tourists to be interesting compared to folks who are from Charleston/SC and much more familiar with it. The characterization of it as a White town is always a bit funny to me.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:05 PM

But places like Wilmington, NC and St. Augustine, FL may be to the OP's liking.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,687,962 times
Quote:
... I know Charleston and Savannah are always grouped together, because they are old, historic and charming, but I feel they have very different vibes. Charleston feels much whiter, richer, more Republican, more preppy, more Old South, and was a bigger city in the past, has a bigger historic area, and is more of a foodie town. Savannah is somewhat messier, dirtier, more hipster, blacker, more edgy, less refined. They appeal to different people, IMO.

DING-DING-DING! Give this poster a prize (or at least a rep point). This was exactly my feel too from visiting both cities. Savannah, very cool. Charleston. Not.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:57 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,486,631 times
Charleston is a very cool place to visit, but perhaps not so much to live and try to get into society.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Charleston is a very cool place to visit, but perhaps not so much to live and try to get into society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.