Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Utah and Colorado a part of the Sun Belt?
Yes, both states are a part of the Sun Belt. 4 9.30%
Only Utah is a part of the Sun Belt. 2 4.65%
Only Colorado is a part of the Sun Belt. 3 6.98%
Neither state is a part of the Sun Belt. 34 79.07%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:41 AM

86 posts, read 105,810 times

Advertisements

Looking at some maps that define the region, it seems unclear whether the two states are considered part of the region.

Both states receive more sunshine than much of the country, have relatively mild winters, and have experienced the population and economic growth that marks much of the Sun Belt.

On the other hand, both states have "real" winters and most maps of the Sun Belt only include the southern portion of the states.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Technically...no...
http://www.swimmingpool.com/sites/de...sun-belt_0.jpg

but I think the southern part of each state could be considered sun belt. I think if you drew a horizontal line from the eastern CO border through Pueblo, CO to the western Utah border that could be considered sun belt.

Last edited by JMT; 06-08-2016 at 11:47 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Southern Utah, especially the southwest corner (Dixie area/St. George) has a somewhat Vegas-like climate.

There is no place in Colorado would I consider the "Sunbelt". It doesn't happen frequently, but Pueblo and Southeastern get blizzards and winters can be darn cold.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:44 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
They both get a high number of sunlight hours over the course of the year. Cooler temperatures are common, however. From my more northern perspective, they are very much Sunbelt-light. There would be no way I would live there as I do not tolerate endless bright sunlight very well to go along with very dry air.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:59 PM

602 posts, read 505,017 times
Climatologically, no. The only way they'd be considered "Sun Belt" is that they've grown faster than the national average in recent years like many of the states in the southern tier of the country (and in Utah's case it's primarily because of higher birthrates among Mormons - which has given the state the lowest median age in the country).

Old 06-08-2016, 11:46 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
SLC & DEN are very sunny cities known for mild winters. Recall, most of the sunbelt gets hit with ice storms and freezing temperatures. I would say they haven't been considered in the past, but might be now.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Southern Utah, especially the southwest corner (Dixie area/St. George) has a somewhat Vegas-like climate.

There is no place in Colorado would I consider the "Sunbelt". It doesn't happen frequently, but Pueblo and Southeastern get blizzards and winters can be darn cold.
I agree Southern Utah, (Dixie), is the closest to sunbelt territory in the Mountain West. But even St. George is somewhat colder than Vegas, and somewhat more likely to experience freezing temps and even a light snowfall during the winter. However, St. George is warm to hot from April to the end of October, something that Northern Utah can't claim.

Colorado, too is obviously warmer the further south you go, but even Pueblo can get very cold, and as you say can bring blizzards.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Ok how is San Francisco considered Sunbelt but Denver and Salt Lake City are not?? Referring to dude1984's map above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.