Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving West: college search, relocate, seasonal affective disorder, rent, cost of living.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 AM

11 posts, read 69,781 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

The basic run-down: I'm an 18 year old college student living in southern Maine. I'm a freshman at USM and am working almost full time to save up money. I've lived in Maine pretty much my entire life, and I absolutley hate it. There's nothing wrong with the state itself - it's a very beautiful place - but I just don't enjoy living here, just don't fit here. I contemplated going to school out west but wasn't ready back a year or two ago; now I think I almost am, at least mentally. I'm planning on getting at least a little bit of school under my belt, putting away some good cash to save up, and preparing myself physically and mentally to relocate sometime within the next 6-18 months. Wherever I go, I will be looking to start off with a cheap apartment, perhaps with a roomate or two, and attending college, whether it be starting out at some local state school or a big university eventually - either way, some type of college so that I can continue working towards my bachelor's degree in journalism/communications.

As far as where I want to move - I have pretty much already decided somewhere out west. I haven't been out there much, but from everything I've seen, heard, read, and researched, I think I would like it out west MUCH better. As a native New Englander, I know it has it's pros and cons, but I just don't like the overall east coast feel. It's just not me, just one of those gut feelings. I am planning a big roadtrip for this summer in which I'm going to drive to California and back so that I can check out several of the places that I am considering moving to. I am going to spend a few days in the couple places that are on the top of my list to see if I can get a feel for the area and see if I think I'd like it. That will be a big first step I imagine.

Now, basically what I'm going to do, is list all the reasons I dislike Maine/things I am looking for in my new location, and listen to advice from everyone out there. Anything you give me is very much appreciated, I need all the help I can get, so don't be shy. Feel free to give anything you've got. Now, for the basics:

- Living most of my life in Maine, I've grown accustomed to extreme boredom. I'm pretty much bored out of my brains 24/7 and it's driving me crazy. I'm just starting college, so I want to move somewhere with the "college feel" to it - a liberal, laid-back area, but with tons of fun stuff to do - my goal is to never be bored. Good night life, bars, and clubs would be great, but also things like art museums, good food, good music scene, professional sports teams, lots of culture, and outdoorsy things like camping and hiking. I want to make the next few years some of the most fun and memorable of my life, and want a fun, exciting place to do it in.
- The people are also a big factor. That's probably the worst part of the area I currently live in - so many snobby, ignorant people that it drives me insane. Most people I know are not very intellectual, and can barely hold up a conversation. I dislike a lot of people around here, and a lot of people in the New England area in general. I know there's nice people and jerks everywhere, but I guess what I'm really looking for in people is just genuine kindness (people who let drivers go in traffic instead of cutting them off), and smart, down to earth, intellectuals who actually care about things that matter. I'm pretty liberal and philosophical, but not in the stereotypical sense - I just really like being around smart, chill people, and for some reason cannot seem to find many around here. Some place with a generally laid-back, low-stressed, intellectual environment would suit me the best... I'm tired of stupid people, I'm sorry, I am. Smart people, where are you!!?!
- Another biggie is the weather. I have seasonal affective disorder, and while I don't get terribly depressed, I'm usually at my worst in the winter. Plus, living in Maine during the winter SUCKS. The sun goes down at 4 pm all winter, it's very cold, and there's too much snow for too long. I don't like being too hot either, but Maine's weather is a little too wintery for me. Basically, because of the SAD, I want some place where it's generally mild temperature year round (ideally in between 50-80 degrees most the year), and some place where the sun is out later, longer, and just more. I don't want 4 pm sunsets, I don't want 20 degree temps, I don't want ridiculous amounts of snow. The more sun the better. I don't mind rain or fog much, and I love the occasional thunderstorm. Just some place sunny and happy and good for people with SAD really, not too hot or too cold and steady temps and weather year round if there is such a place.
- Geography. I admit I'm being a bit picky, but I'm just listing my ideal place here. I live on the ocean right now and love it, but also LOVE the mountains, and wouldn't mind switching over. However, some place where I could have close access to both would be lovely. Somewhere where you can actually swim and boat in the summer, and places to hike, camp, ski and other outdoor activities near the mountains. I also like big forests and the woods, as well as desert. I'm a very outdoorsy, earthy type person, who likes everything and wants to be able to experience all of it.
- Some place with good, cheap college opportunites so I can finish up out there, low crime, and not overly crowded or hectic, just a nice, laid-back area with cooll people
- Opportunites to meet nice women. The Maine girls aren't all that great, and I'm looking for somewhere where there's plenty of young, single women to meet and get to know. Finding a nice, smart, down to earth girl with a great and compatible personality who's not into the dramatics is most important, although somewhere with girls who look like the ones in Miami doesn't hurt either . I haven't found that certain someone yet, and want to move somewhere where I may be able to.
- Somewhat affordable cost of living, although this is not as big as issue as the rest, because if I like it, I'll find a way to make it work. Also somewhere with good job opporunities and ways to make money would be ideal. I plan on getting a bachelors in journalism/communications as of right now, and want to move some place where I can best apply these skills. I'm a very strong writer and talker and very opinonated, and think my future may be some kind of radio/journalist/broadcasting career. My dream is to travel the world after college, so perhaps traveling writing or freelance writing of some kind.
- Somewhere diverse. Maine is 98% white people, and it's just really one dimesnional. I want to learn about different cultures and ways of life, and become more open-minded, and want to live somewhere where there's a great mix of all shapes and sizes.
- Some place that someone would want to raise a family in the future.

So there's it basically. Sorry it's so long, but there's a lot going into this life-changing decision. I appreciate anything and everything in terms of advice on where you all think I should check out. As of right now honestly, I'm heavily considering 3 areas: Denver CO, San Deigo CA, and San Francisco CA. Many people have told me I belong on the west coast, and places like Seattle WA, Portland OR, Berkeley CA, Boulder CO, Fort Collins CO, Santa Barbara CA, parts of Texas and Florida, and some of the mid-west and deep south have all been suggested, so I really want to narrow it down, and the three areas that I listed are my top 3 choices right now. Thoughts? Advice? Do's and Don'ts? Thanks a lot everyone, it's much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 PM

11 posts, read 69,781 times
Anyone???

Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
My nephew goes to school in Oregon. At Eugene. He loves it. He grew up in the Chicago area and it is a nice change. He is close enough to the bigger cities like Seattle to spend the weekend. I know he has gone down to San Francisco for the weekend too but I am not sure how far that is.
I have been to Colorado and it is beautiful. The Rockies are awesome.. The west coast has some great scenery. It also has the diversity that you are looking for.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
It sounds to me like you shouldn't be worried so much about relocating to a new city for the lifestyle aspect of it, but rather you should be focused on getting the best college experience and education you can get. First, you have completed only a single semester of college. I think most everyone has adjustment problems when they begin college, no matter where that college is located. Second, college is not forever and going to school in Maine doesn't mean you have to stay in Maine. I would guess the majority of this country's colleges and universities are located in small towns in rural areas where 90+ percent of the students plan to leave for big cities upon graduation. You may not love Portland, ME (that's where USM is, isn't it?), but there are plenty of students at Cornell who hate Ithaca, RPI who hate Troy, NY, Syracuse who hate Syracuse...this list goes on and on and on. But do you like the school? And do you think you are getting a good education? Those things are important, and if the answer is no, you might want to consider a transfer. Finally, if you are committed to moving out west (and your planned summer road trip is a great way to start to familiarize yourself with many of the cities you are considering), you will have a lot of opportunities in school to try to get internships out there, meet students who live there and/or will be moving back after graduation, and meet professors who may be able to help you with a job that could take you out west after you graduate. For a big move like that, it is always best to have a plan and, ideally, a job. Developing contacts now will be a good first step.

Good luck.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
It seems a really popular thing to do these days...take a semester or year off to work, etc. My daughter is a freshman in college (Columbia in NY) and she talked about it. We all agreed that maybe transferring to another college would be better...not leaving school for a year. Anyway, please really think it through before you blow off school altogether. Good luck..

Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 PM

37 posts, read 211,873 times
I live in the bay area in california, it's a nice diverse place. The weather is beautiful, even if it gets hot in the summer at times it always cools off at night. The job market is not bad but the only thing I DONT LIKE is if you want to buy property here and raise a family in a home, you have to have good income....i live in a two bedroom apartment in a decent area in fremont and it's costing me $1,400/month. That can me my mortgage in another state. That is why I am looking to relocate to Texas! HopefullY!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:01 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
I'd go with outside of Denver. I've never been there, but my nephew moved from San Diego to Breckinridge, he's single and loves it, and then my neice followed last year and she's single and loves it, she's super cute too
I'm thinking at least in Denver, you'd still get some snow which your used to and it seems to be a happening place for young people!
Good luck to you

Old 07-27-2008, 02:22 PM

10 posts, read 19,050 times
HBan13.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I too have been desperate to relocate, but I want to move to Portland Maine. I am a native Texas born and raised and I love it here, but I am in need of change. I went to Texas Christian University and I really did not fit in there. In high school, I had tons of friends but when I got to college, I simply could not find any at TCU. I wanted to transfer to USM then, but my parents advised against it. Instead they suggested that I finish at TCU and then consider USM for law school. I have done just that and I am looking forward to my move next summer. Overall, it got to the point where I learned to like TCU and I eventually found a group of friends.

There are some things you should consider before relocating. Being away from family and everything you have ever known is a lonely path. While you may be anxious to cut those strings, I would wait just a little longer. Finish college first because the people who can support you the most are your family.

As far as boredom goes, you simply need to be creative and find things to do. Take up running, Karate, art, or cooking, something to help you focus your energy. If you are bored in Maine, then you will probably be bored somewhere else.

If relocation is inevitable, I would suggest Texas. While the summers are HOTT, the winters are fairly mild. I live in Fort Worth, which is a major metropolitan city with southern charm. Generally, the people here are great and diversity is huge. We have ever ethnicity under the sun. As a plus, Dallas is only a 45 minute drive from downtown Fort Worth. Dallas is more on the scale of Los Angeles in size and just as diverse, if not more. We have several lakes that are roughly 100 to 150 feet deep and they are deep enough to stay cool and refreshing in the summer. My family has a speed boat and we go wakeboarding almost every weekend starting in April and ending in October. Sometimes we can continue into November depending on how warm it still is. If the lakes don’t do it for you then the gulf coast is only a 6 hour drive. Most college students spend spring break in South Padre, which is notorious for wild spring breaks (i.e. everybody ends up on girls gone wild). If you want some adventure, Mexico is also about nine hours away.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Best of luck!!![/SIZE]

Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Try Tempe, AZ.

ASU has a fun vibe and AZ is more affordable the CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.