Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

You cant have this conversation without mentioning Dallas. 6th largest Indian population in the US and the fastest growing outside (NYC, Chicago, and the Bay Area).

The presence of South Asians is far more obvious in Dallas than Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 PM

24 posts, read 19,608 times
If you are willing to stick to the Indian community then Atlanta is one of the best cities in the country. A strong South Asian community and it has some of the best Indian restaurants in the country. Now that said, if OP is looking to mingle it would depend a lot on his gender. White men with Indian women is becoming popular in the city but the other way around is unheard of among the younger crowd (adolescence and 20s), especially if OP's intent is to date good looking white women.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 PM

24 posts, read 19,608 times
Something else to mention for this thread is that while some cities might have a strong South Asian presence, it doesn't mean that it will be the best city for a South Asian person looking to assimilate and interact with other races.

For example, Atlanta has a strong Indian community and Hindu temples. Plenty of Indian and Asian people are happy in the city because they have other Indians to interact with, chat with, associate with, and date. If you're an Indian or Asian immigrant coming to the city, you will enjoy yourself because parts of the city feel like your home country. I have found that people of Atlanta are very tolerant of immigrants and foreigners in general.

Now there is a difference between tolerance and acceptance though.

While an Indian or Asian male that wants to be near his own people and culture will love the city, a more assimilated one that wants to go interracial (especially if his intent is to get white girls, this is especially true for Indian and brown guys) will definitely find it to be one of the worst places he can be in. A lot of the more desired white women in Atlanta see any race that isn't black or white as being too foreign for them and there is plenty of racism in the suburbs for a guy with a foreign appearance to truly fit in and have any success in the dating scene. If he's okay with dating his own race, black girls, and girls of other minority groups then Atlanta is still at the top of the list but white women that are remotely desirable are by all means out of the question, there is just too much hostility in the city for a couple like that to happen or even live in peace.

I find that the racism is particularly bad among the younger crowd (adolescence, college kids, and people in their 20s), that is shocking and shows that things won't be getting better in the coming decades.

If your intent is to truly assimilate, make friends with other races, and date women of other races, make sure you have yourself handled (in good shape and are good with people). Some cities I will recommend if you want to live in the southeast are Charleston, Nashville, and Miami; they are far better options than Atlanta.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:07 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handofftochubb View Post
Something else to mention for this thread is that while some cities might have a strong South Asian presence, it doesn't mean that it will be the best city for a South Asian person looking to assimilate and interact with other races.

For example, Atlanta has a strong Indian community and Hindu temples. Plenty of Indian and Asian people are happy in the city because they have other Indians to interact with, chat with, associate with, and date. If you're an Indian or Asian immigrant coming to the city, you will enjoy yourself because parts of the city feel like your home country. I have found that people of Atlanta are very tolerant of immigrants and foreigners in general.

While an Indian or Asian male that wants to be near his own people and culture will love the city, a more assimilated one that wants to go interracial (especially if his intent is to get white girls, this is especially true for Indian and brown guys) will definitely find it to be one of the worst places he can be in. A lot of the more desired white women in Atlanta see any race that isn't black or white as being too foreign for them and there is plenty of racism in the suburbs for a guy with a foreign appearance to truly fit in and have any success in the dating scene. If he's okay with dating his own race, black girls, and girls of other minority groups then Atlanta is still at the top of the list but white women that are remotely desirable are by all means out of the question, there is just too much hostility in the city for a couple like that to happen or even live in peace.

I find that the racism is particularly bad among the younger crowd (adolescence, college kids, and people in their 20s), that is shocking and shows that things won't be getting better in the coming decades.

If your intent is to truly assimilate, make friends with other races, and date women of other races, make sure you have yourself handled (in good shape and are good with people). Some cities I will recommend if you want to live in the southeast are Charleston, Nashville, and Miami; they are far better options than Atlanta.
Are you serious? Why are these better cities?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I'm originally from the Twin Cities (MN) area and I have friends who are Hmong, Laotian, Vietnamese, or Cambodians and many are investment bankers, entrepreneurs, analysts, and other members of the professional class. I know the Twin Cities has the largest urban Hmong population in the U.S. so although it's not as SA'ian as the coastal cities, there's still a relatively large population there as well. How this population compares to other U.S. cities though, I could not say.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:12 AM

103 posts, read 168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm originally from the Twin Cities (MN) area and I have friends who are Hmong, Laotian, Vietnamese, or Cambodians and many are investment bankers, entrepreneurs, analysts, and other members of the professional class. I know the Twin Cities has the largest urban Hmong population in the U.S. so although it's not as SA'ian as the coastal cities, there's still a relatively large population there as well. How this population compares to other U.S. cities though, I could not say.
OP said South Asians as in Pakistanis and Indians not South East Asians as in the ones you are referring to in your post.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:05 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handofftochubb View Post

Nashville is much worse than Atlanta. In Nashville, they consider black people to be foreign. Not actually foreign but many stay with their own kind because they think the other races are too different. Miami is better. Charleston is the same as Atlanta

Old 09-25-2015, 01:22 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Chicago and Minneapolis are both good areas for Indians and have a lot of Indians.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:50 PM

19 posts, read 25,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you're open to considering a less populated metro area I would thrown in Raleigh-Durham NC. The two are among the most educated cities in the country (per capita Bachelor's Degrees with Raleigh #10 and Durham-Chapel Hill #12), has one of the strongest job markets for professionals in the country and the area has a significant South Asian population that besides maintaining cultural identity also seems to merge nicely with the population at large (which seems to be goal of yours).
Hmm.. interesting suggestion. I've never heard of Raleigh being mentioned by anyone as an attractive destination for South Asians. I'm sure there are some South Asians there (there's at least a few of us pretty much everywhere now), but is there an established young professional South Asian community? What sort of social clubs and organizations are there for young SAs there?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:53 PM

19 posts, read 25,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Parts of Metro Detroit may work. I'd say to look into the Farmington/Farmington Hills area, Novi, the Plymouth/Canton area and Troy. Ann Arbor, also in SE Michigan, is another potential option nearby. Out those mentioned, I'd say that Ann Arbor and the Greater Farmington area are the best choices for what you are looking for.
I feel like these cities are not very cosmopolitan enough to attract young desi culture (mainly in terms of nightlife events, social clubs, etc). Do you know of any SA organizations in these cities? (Note the criteria I posted in the OP.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.