Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,757 times

Advertisements

I was watching Law and Order Special Victims Unit with my sister and one of the girls being interviewed/interegated in Atlanta said something like "Atlanta is a small town, people will talk." which I found interesting. I could definitely see how Atlanta would seem like a small town compared to somewhere such as NYC, LA, Chicago or some of the even larger cities in other countries but it was funny to me because it seems huge to me, which makes me wonder if I'm just a hick lol! I just found this very interesting and I was curious what are some of the larger/largest cities that you've heard anyone refer to as small. In real life I've heard Corpus Christi, Augusta,GA, Jackson,MS, Cincinnati,OH, the Twin Cities, Raleigh and it seems like maybe even Charlotte,NC referred to as small towns. All of those are big cities to me so I just find it interesting and sometimes even fascinating how differently people see things. I love it because it keeps things interesting and I think that it's healthy to hear things from different perspectives and to try to see things from someone else's point of view. I'm sure that there are other places that I've heard referred to as small but those are the ones that come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Philadelphia. This place is downright incestuous.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:51 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
There was a poster here once who wanted suggestions on where to move and had a whole list of requirements she was looking for, one of them being that the town had to be at least as big as Chicago. As if there were a ton of choices and cities the size of Chicago were a dime a dozen.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
There was a poster here once who wanted suggestions on where to move and had a whole list of requirements she was looking for, one of them being that the town had to be at least as big as Chicago. As if there were a ton of choices and cities the size of Chicago were a dime a dozen.
Now THAT is funny!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well, if you take the entire world into account she's got 28 to choose from.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:12 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
"Atlanta is a small town and people will talk"? That's just sloppy writing.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Philadelphia. This place is downright incestuous.
So THAT'S why they call it the City of Brotherly Love!?

Old 09-12-2015, 10:38 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Oklahoma City gets referred to as a small town a lot. It's population is north of 600,000 with a metropolitan area of more than 1.3 million people. It gets called a small town though because its so sprawled and it lacks some of the amenities most comparable-sized cities have. New Orleans is exactly the same size and nobody looks at it as a small town.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:08 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Well, if you take the entire world into account she's got 28 to choose from.
From her post I had the distinct impression she wasn't looking to move out of the country, she was just clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City gets referred to as a small town a lot. It's population is north of 600,000 with a metropolitan area of more than 1.3 million people. It gets called a small town though because its so sprawled and it lacks some of the amenities most comparable-sized cities have. New Orleans is exactly the same size and nobody looks at it as a small town.
Memphis is the same way. Granted 600k isn't exactly huge, but it's hardly small town either.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:47 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,430,240 times
St. Louis has been called a small town. People from Chicago call it a village. Pisses me off....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.