Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times

Advertisements

Chicago is what Detroit would look like if we would have all brought American cars.
Anyways, how is Chicago behind New York? They are both large cities and you hear about the latter more often? Honestly, what possible rationale could anyone have for that? If anything, Chicago is dogged by its workingman roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
I like Chicago so much more than NYC in many ways. It has for sure its own history & vibrancy. It has alot going for it. It is in its own world too.
However, NYC is often at the forefront of things, and Chicago usually trails behind although ahead of other big cities. In that sense, Chicago is in NYC's "shadow"-as are many other prominent cities. All in all, that does not mean Chicago aspires to be like NYC. It's just overshadowed by it in many ways.

Tampa is the "Oakland" while St. Petersburg is more like a miniature, boring, Florida-fied "San Francisco"

Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Cities that are linked, or similar to a certain degree, but the former "in the shadow" of/ "aspiring to be like" the latter...

Reno & Atlantic City - Las Vegas

Chicago - NYC (not so much Chicago aspiring to be like NYC as it is in the shadow of..)

Lake Tahoe, CA- Aspen, CO (ski recreational comparisons)

Tampa Bay - Orlando

Oakland & San Jose - San Francisco (geographic/ social distinctions)

Portland - Seattle (Seattle is the big brother)
Baltimore - Washington, DC
Green Bay Wisconsin-- Madison Wisconsin
Madison Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee Wisconsin--Chicago ILL
Grand Rapids MI--Detroit
Toledo Ohio--Cleveland Ohio
Reno--Las Vegas
Stockton CA--Sacramento CA
Bakersfield CA--Fresno CA
San Diego CA--Los Angeles CA
Oakland CA--San Francisco CA
Portland Oregon--Seattle Washington
Norman OK--Oklahoma City OK
Broken Arrow OK--Tulsa OK
Lawton OK--Wichita Falls Texas
Fort Worth--Dallas Texas
St. Paul--Minneapolis Minneasota
Fort Wayne--Indianapolis
Fort Lauderdale--Miami
Baltimore--Washington D.C.
Philladephia--N.Y.C.
Birmingham Alabama--Atlanta GA
Savannah GA--Jacksonville FL.
Raleigh N.C.--Charalotte N.C.
Kansas City--St. Louis
Richmond VA--Norfork VA

Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
I agree with kshe95girl. We are rivals with Chicago, we may be in their shadow in the sense that they grew when we did not, but St. Louis very much has its own identity as a city as does Chicago. If any city is in the shadow of Chicago, I would say its Milwaukee or maybe Detroit or Indianapolis. Not really sure though, because again, these three cities all have their own major identities. No city really is in the shadow of another city, plain and simple. This is going to provoke a fight IMO. Every city has something to unique to offer.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
howest2008 - i'd have to agree with Philly--NYC. its subtle, but its there. its a big ass city within an hour and a half from one of the biggest, most well known cities in the world. that's why it has that "underdog" mentality imo. kinda like B'more's proximity to DC.

if Philly & B'more were in the south or midwest, etc.., they would be the cat's meow.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Philadelphia has a huge inferiority complex because it's not New York or Washington.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
^^exactly. a big city flanked by the financial capital & the nations' capital. lol.

hey, but it still has its own character. otherwise it would be Newark 2.0

Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

Kansas City--St. Louis
I never really thought that KC was in the shadow of STL at all, KC has completely different vibe, IMHO, can you tell us why you think it does? I would be interested in hearing that!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
For years, Buffalo and Rochester were their own cities, aspiring to be no one but themselves. Then a couple decades ago, it appears that Rochester aspired to be Buffalo. Now look where it got Rochester!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I'm not sure I would say that Boulder is "in the shadow of/aspires to be" Denver. The two cities are worlds different and they even have different landscapes. Maybe Colorado Springs is in the shadow of Denver.

Some small cities try to be like big ones too. I live in Rapid City and people here associate themselves to Denver. People in Sioux Falls associate themselves to Minneapolis. Omaha associates itself to Chicago.
I would not say Boulder is "in the shadow of" Denver. Boulder is more of a suburb of Denver, even though it sometimes likes to think it is not. There are many people from both cities who work in the other one. Boulder has a population of < 100,000 people, Denver has >500,000 plus burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
This is a good idea f1000. I'll list some cities that I personally think live in a shadow:

*Fort Worth lives in the shadow of Dallas.
*Tacoma lives in the shadow of Portland/Seattle.
*Saint Paul lives in the shadow of Minneapolis.
*Tulsa lives in the shadow of OKC.
*Tuscon lives in the shadow of Phoenix.
*Colorado Springs lives in the shadow of Denver.

I'm not sure than these are all "aspiring to be like" the latter, but I definitely think that most of them live in the shadow of their neighbor because they are smaller, while if they were set in an area by themselves that wouldn't be the case.
I don't think Colorado Srings lives in the shadow of Denver, either, or aspires to be like it. COS has a population of about 400,000, with a metro of about 600,000. Denver is not much larger in the city proper, but has a metro of about 2.5 million. Denver is a major-league city, in many ways that COS is not. I think Salt Lake City is more in Denver's shadow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.