Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 AM

21 posts, read 71,569 times

Advertisements

My husband is Puerto Rican and I am a 'kiwi'. We have been living in NZ for all our marriage but are now considering moving to america for better work opportunities. What are good places to live in America? We were considering California but it seems to be very expensive there. My husband is hispanic, bilingual (English/Spanish) and is a graphic/web designer. We have two young children so were wanting somewhere with not to high a crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 AM

622 posts, read 2,709,455 times
Hi! I used to have a few good Kiwi friends back when I worked for a ski resort in Colorado... I've always wanted to visit NZ! One thing they said they noticed when they moved to the states was that it wasn't full of a bunch of gun-toting criminals like they thought it would be! I hear that a lot from foreigners moving here... that they are surprised at how the US is wrongly portrayed that way.

Anyways, I am a graphic designer, too. You can pretty much go anywhere in that field, but of course if you stick to the more metropolitan areas you have better opportunities. The hotspots for graphic designers would probably be NYC, LA, and Chicago. I have only been to Chicago... and I'm guessing you are thinking of a place with less crime.

Hmmmmmm..... the US is so big... it is hard to narrow it down this way... I would suggest you first think about what area you want to live in. East Coast? Weat Coast? Midwest? South? Pacific Northwest? Each of these areas will have a different culture, different weather, scenery, etc.

I hear Portland, OR is a great place to live. Big graphic design scene there, although it is going through some economic problems (lots of college graduates working at Starbucks). Also very rainy in winter. Low crime for a city, very walkable, historic downtown, lots of nature.

Seattle would be like a larger Portland. More crime, more expensive, but better opportunities.

Minneapolis, if you can stand cold winters (I love them), is a great city with a huge design scene! Laid back and less crime than a bigger city. Very Friendly.

Milwaukee is a cool midwestern city... llike a mini- Chicago.

I've also heard Madison, WI is very cool. Smaller, less crime, but interesting place.

Albequerque, New Mexico also supposedly has a good art/design scene. Very different climate there. In the mountains, so its hot summers but you still get snow in the winter! I've heard many people love this city.

Charlotte, North Carolina is also supposedly another good place for artists/designers.

So again, you will want to do some research into the area of the country you want to go to. If you aren't familiar with what those areas are and how they differ, just ask.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM

yeah, my idea of america is something like those other kiwis, that it must be like CSI with a lots of people running around with guns, gangs and so forth. I have never seen a gun in my life (am 32), only on TV!! Was orginally thinking of West Coast, California, Oregan, Washington State, since it would be easier for my family to access that coast from NZ. Or New england, since it looks very beautiful. we have lived overseas in netherlands (holland) for a number of years so we are used to rain and long winters, but not extreme cold. Even NY state would be ok, my husband lived in Buffalo for a little while when he was a teenager. We were thinking california cause we know that my husband being bi-lingual would be helpful there, my husband has two friends living in orange county and our sister church is in LA so our pastor could make contacts for us through them. The housing prices there are out of this world though. Were we live in NZ is the third most expensive town/city in the country and the average house prices would be US$300,000 approx (and we live in a beach/resort town).

Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,455 times
I would pick the Pacific Northwest (OR/WA) as a region for you to consider because:

1) There are still many Spanish-speaking people there and a bilingual would be a very desirable quality in an employee.

2) I get the impression that many people are escaping California as it is changing... not to say there are not nice areas, of course! San Francisco is great! And its so beautiful... but for other reasons like cost of living, overcrowding, etc. Many are escaping to Oregon and Washinton for cheaper homes and a better life... although these states also have their issues as well. If I were you, I'd check out the California & Oregon section of the forum and you will see this issue come up a lot. Then, after listening to those that live in the California area, you can decide for yourself if that's where you want to go.

I have never been east of Michigan! So I know nothing about the East Coast. Have always dreamed of travelling to New England!

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:54 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Have you pondered Austin Texas?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:02 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
My vote would be Charlotte, NC. You'd really love it here! It's a great area. Good luck with your search!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 03:17 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I have to concur about the Pacific Northwest being a good spot for you. California would be great as well, but there's the nasty cost of living which could result in a bit of shock and downsizing for you (in other words, if you live in a nice house, at least initially you may be relegated to a tiny apartment in a so-so neighborhood). The Pacific Northwest is expensive as well, but nowhere near as bad as California. The rain and the grey skies is certainly something to be wary of but if you have had experience with it beforehand and got along fine (I don't know much about the climate of the Netherlands and whether or not it's AS gloomy as Seattle/Portland), then you shouldn't be worried. It snows there but not incredibly often and the winters get cold but not as chilly as the majority of the U.S. And your husband's Spanish-speaking abilities would put him in great demand in virtually every area of the United States (particularly urban areas), including Oregon and Washington.

I have to admit though, my first reaction upon seeing the subject title of this thread was "moving FROM New Zealand?! WHY???!!!" because I've been of the opinion that New Zealand is one of the most perfect countries on Earth. However, I've never been there so I may have just as skewed of an idea of that country as many people have of this one.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:38 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Top paying areas for graphic design:
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes271024.htm

Being that New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and D.C. are 4 of the 5 top paying states, I'd stick to the east coast. All cities have crime, but D.C. is pretty bad so I'd avoid it. Being bilingual is a huge +++ on either coast or the southern area of the U.S. Connecticut has low crime and for the most part, is commutable to most of Massachusetts and New York City. So that's what I would recommend.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:27 AM

thanks for the helpful comments. Yeah, New Zealand is beautiful and the crime stats aren't too bad (every single murder that happens is reported on the tv), great place to raise children etc, BUT for my husband it has been very difficult to get a good job because he is a foreigner and people here do not take well to immigrants unless they are from england, south africa or australia.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:46 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Top paying areas for graphic design:
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes271024.htm

Being that New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and D.C. are 4 of the 5 top paying states, I'd stick to the east coast. All cities have crime, but D.C. is pretty bad so I'd avoid it. Being bilingual is a huge +++ on either coast or the southern area of the U.S. Connecticut has low crime and for the most part, is commutable to most of Massachusetts and New York City. So that's what I would recommend.
The reason NY, CT, MA, and DC are some of the highest pay states is because the cost of living is SO high. The buying power (pay vs. cost of living) is not very good. Areas in the south or midwest may have lower salaries, but you'll get much, much more for your money, because living costs/taxes are so much lower. Just something to be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.