Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite "lake area" that you prefer to vacation or reside on a continuous or seasonal basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times
I enjoy Lake Champlain in Vermont / New York. That part of the northeast is pretty quiet and isn't too busy during the summer. The area around Burlington is very nice and I'd like to go every year but it's too long of a drive for me. I'll stay local.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 PM

For me Vilas County, WI (Eagle River chain of lakes) by the UP of Michigan ranks near the top of my list. With over 1,000 lakes within the county it has one of the largest concentration of freshwater lakes in the world.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:49 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I enjoy Lake Champlain in Vermont / New York. That part of the northeast is pretty quiet and isn't too busy during the summer. The area around Burlington is very nice and I'd like to go every year but it's too long of a drive for me. I'll stay local.
I'll second that, I love Lake Champlain. I really dig the ferry from Burlington over to NY State, and going over to Au Sable Chasm for tubing. The sunsets over the lake back dropped with the Adirondacks from the Burlington waterfront are the best in sunsets I've seen anywhere back east. Northern New England (Maine/NH/VT) and Upstate NY have an abundance of clean freshwater lakes. Moosehead Lake in Maine is one of the biggest and the best.

Out West, the best lakes region I've seen is in northern Idaho. Priest Lake in particular is magnificent. Uncrowded and beautiful, with scenic mountains and evergreens forests surrounding a clear freshwater lake with nice rocky and sandy shores. I'd love to go back again. One thing I do miss about the North, natural and clear fresh water lakes. Many of the man made ones in the Southern tier of the country leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-16-2015 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 08:16 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'll second that, I love Lake Champlain. I really dig the ferry from Burlington over to NY State, and going over to Au Sable Chasm for tubing. The sunsets over the lake back dropped with the Adirondacks from the Burlington waterfront are the best in sunsets I've seen anywhere back east. Northern New England (Maine/NH/VT) and Upstate NY have an abundance of clean freshwater lakes. Moosehead Lake in Maine is one of the biggest and the best.

Out West, the best lakes region I've seen is in northern Idaho. Priest Lake in particular is magnificent. Uncrowded and beautiful, with scenic mountains and evergreens forests surrounding a clear freshwater lake with nice rocky and sandy shores. I'd love to go back again. One thing I do miss about the North, natural and clear fresh water lakes. Many of the man made ones in the Southern tier of the country leave a lot to be desired.
The one of thing I like about Northern New England is that many parts feel untouched. There are so many lakes and creeks you can go to without the presence of tourists. I'd like to visit Northern Idaho. I heard good things and I've only seen pictures. Parts of the west seem very mysterious. It's so large and vast that only a few have explored it all (if that's possible).

Old 10-16-2015, 08:34 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I love the lakes in western NC. Lake Lure especially.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:26 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
I like the lake4s in E TN and W NC - especially the ones with mountains in the background. Also some great lakes in the SC upstate. My favorite of those is Lake Jocassee which is so clear people scuba dive in it.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:22 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,203,899 times
Lake Junaluska, near Waynesville, NC is another beautiful lake with a mountain backdrop and a jogging trail around its periphery. The area has a cooler climate than most of the Southeast due to its elevation, and is very pleasant much of the year.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:40 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I like the lake4s in E TN and W NC - especially the ones with mountains in the background. Also some great lakes in the SC upstate. My favorite of those is Lake Jocassee which is so clear people scuba dive in it.
The best lakes that I've seen are Lake Jocassee, Keowee and Hartwell, which are at the base of the Applachian mountains. Very pristine up around these lakes.

The lake near Guntersville in north AL, about 45 minutes south of Chattanooga is a nice one too.

Lake Thurmond or Clark's Hill Lake in SC has a great state park resort called Hickory Knob with nice golf course right on the lake and boat ramps, little hotel rooms, and cabins and restaurant, pool, tennis courts, pool tables. My family used to go waterskiing there every summer. It is not as crowded as other lakes in SC but one of the nicer ones.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:21 PM

Reservoirs do not count as lakes, but many people include them if that is all they are familiar with. NH lakes are quite nice and I do like Squam, Ossipee, Silver, and Winnipesaukee (the big lake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.