Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedeverywhere123 View Post
Appreciate the response, i'd disagree with FL being a low wage state. If you don't have a degree or experience, sure but in comparison to some of the other metros i mentioned, pay is fairly similar. Both myself and wife make more than we did in other cities, performing similar jobs, i've lived in Atlanta and Dallas.

The schools, i'd agree with, although there are areas with great schools in Florida, as well as the Nashville area. The same could be said for Atlanta and Charlotte. Many of the schools are not that great, although there are a greater number of better public schools overall in those cities.

The tolls, I would agree with, although I choose to avoid them when possible. Charlotte is in talks of starting to charge tolls in 2018, although atlanta had a toll but did away with it recently, they do still have express lanes that you can ride in if you want to pay.
Where do you live in Florida? I really dont think thats right about the wages in alot of florida at least in my experience but maybe that is just for out of state people in my field. I have quite alot of family in Florida and I have been looking for any type of tech job in my field in Florida for over a year, really longer but only with a recruiter for a year. The stem job market is nothing like it is in the research triangle area and atlanta

Outside of a good offer from citrix which is a company in alot of fiscal trouble, my recruiter has found alot of of jobs in hospitals that pay very poorly , alot of state jobs that hire from within, and tons of low paying service sector jobs where the tech expertise needed is basically accountant type work. I had heard good things about the stem economy in tampa and miami but the job market is pretty sparse for high paying stem jobs at least ,so much of the florida stem economy is based around retirees( hospitals, health sector etc) . I will say have seen alot of good things in the jacksonville job market and it is one of the better areas but pretty far from my family

I would love to live in florida, but I think for outsiders you need to retire there and come with money, the job market is nothing like they say it is in the articles, florida is always on every list for job growth but I wonder what type of jobs are they talking about

Last edited by floridanative10; 10-23-2015 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"The effects of tax increases on migration are, at most, small -- so small that states that raise income taxes on the most affluent households can be assured of a substantial net gain in revenue."

Read more: Tax relocation is a myth - Bankrate.com

That seems like an odd thing to base any kind of conclusion on. I don't know of many people who would decide to uproot their lives and move away because of a tax increase. Where is the study on people who face a choice and choose NOT to move somewhere because of existing tax rates. That would be far more telling IMO.

I have met more people from New York State than anywhere else who moved out due to the high taxes there.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 PM

84 posts, read 146,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Where do you live in Florida? I really dont think thats right about the wages in alot of florida at least in my experience but maybe that is just for out of state people in my field. I have quite alot of family in Florida and I have been looking for any type of tech job in my field in Florida for over a year, really longer but only with a recruiter for a year. The stem job market is nothing like it is in the research triangle area and atlanta

Outside of a good offer from citrix which is a company in alot of fiscal trouble, my recruiter has found alot of of jobs in hospitals that pay very poorly , alot of state jobs that hire from within, and tons of low paying service sector jobs where the tech expertise needed is basically accountant type work. I had heard good things about the stem economy in tampa and miami but the job market is pretty sparse for high paying stem jobs at least ,so much of the florida stem economy is based around retirees( hospitals, health sector etc) . I will say have seen alot of good things in the jacksonville job market and it is one of the better areas but pretty far from my family

I would love to live in florida, but I think for outsiders you need to retire there and come with money, the job market is nothing like they say it is in the articles, florida is always on every list for job growth but I wonder what type of jobs are they talking about
I'm in Tampa and work in web dev/IT. Orlando also has a good amount of jobs, so does Miami, but it'd take a heck of a lot of money to get me to south florida, not my thing.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 PM

84 posts, read 146,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The main advantage is that federal deductions for state income taxes tend to be a good deal larger than federal deductions for state sales taxes.
Makes sense, anything else along those lines?

Old 10-23-2015, 09:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Washington State is heaven for those who earn moderate to above average incomes. There is no debate about this, but the flipside is if you are wealthy, then you will play high sales taxes for all your purchases. Some on the border will skirt these by buying anything less than a car, but probably will not gain much in the long run.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Quote:
Makes sense, anything else along those lines?
States with income taxes but no sales taxes allow their residents to spend less time doing math in their heads.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 PM

In what universe? Oregon?

Let me ask this...when those who drive through Oregon, (and there are many), don't pay sales tax, how does this help revenue in the great state of Oregon?

The answer is zilch. Nada. Oregon receives nothing from those driving from CA to WA. Wow, what a waste of potential revenue for Salem.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:03 PM

I will revise my comment above. People driving through Oregon will likely pay the gas tax, and maybe a hotel occupancy tax, but it kind of ends there.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
I keep reading articles like this but have yet to see it in reality. I mentioned earlier I lived in Atlanta, had less money, rent was more expensive, car registration, gas was about the same essentials were about the same. People are moving by the millions from California to Texas and it's not because of the weather. It's because of the low taxes and most of them can take a pay cut, while increasing their quality of life.
I think it has more to do with housing costs, tbh. I doubt many people move because of income taxes, but they may move for a cheaper house. The true test would be if 2 states had equal housing costs and then compare the movement between them.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
FL is a low wage state with low funding for public schools and toll booths everywhere.

10k in state income tax? You have it set. That's a very good income as most people pay far less than the top marginal tax rate in income tax.
TN is a lower wage state without several major urban areas that are growing. I am a TN native and trying to move to Florida, and FL's economy seems to be much broader, deeper, and in better shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.