Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 01:05 AM

32,756 posts, read 35,956,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
I see that the lower end Mid-Atlantic (Maryland in particular) has qualms with "The South" because they associate it with negativity.

I know these are generalizations! This is just how I view the North vs South culture, living in Virginia which is right on the line between both:

The "Northern" to me is: Overwhelmingly liberal, aloof, pushy, unusual ethnic pride, aggressive, lack of manners, lack of sweet tea, you guys vs y'all, etc, more blue collar/rust belt. Also there is a thing in the Northeast where the large cities sort of blend into each other.

You don't find that so much South of D.C.

South: More laid back, friendly. Open to discussion of Religion! Country music appreciation. More plethora of attractive women. Pimento cheese. Southern doesn't necessarily mean "country". Country has similarities but you can be "Country"and not Southern! Some rural communities in the North are very shut off and aloof from outsiders.
I am quite liberal.
I just look aloof because I'm rather shy.
I'm not pushy. I'm too shy to be pushy.
My mother was an English war bride. Rule Brittania!
Aggressive? Not really.
Lack of manners? Are you kidding? I would have gotten a slap for that nonsense. Please, thank you, holding the door, due unto others.
You can't find sweet tea everywhere here--which is fine with me because I no longer drink sweetened beverages, and haven't for many years.
I've never said, "you guys."
More blue collar? There's no blue collar in the South? There is a rust belt.
The cities don't blend together. Boston is not NYC. NYC isn't Philadelphia. Philly isn't Baltimore, and Baltimore isn't DC. I don't where you got that Idea.

People who are laid back are, well, laid back.
I don't want to talk about religion. How are the tomatoes in your yard doing?
More plethora? There are attractive women everywhere.
I grew up in PA with pimento cheese, so pick another battle.
We listen to country music and watch Nascar.

Some rural communities in the North are very shut off and aloof from outsiders? That never happens south of the border, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
I see that the lower end Mid-Atlantic (Maryland in particular) has qualms with "The South" because they associate it with negativity.

I know these are generalizations! This is just how I view the North vs South culture, living in Virginia which is right on the line between both:

The "Northern" to me is: Overwhelmingly liberal, aloof, pushy, unusual ethnic pride, aggressive, lack of manners, lack of sweet tea, you guys vs y'all, etc, more blue collar/rust belt. Also there is a thing in the Northeast where the large cities sort of blend into each other.

You don't find that so much South of D.C.

South: More laid back, friendly. Open to discussion of Religion! Country music appreciation. More plethora of attractive women. Pimento cheese. Southern doesn't necessarily mean "country". Country has similarities but you can be "Country"and not Southern! Some rural communities in the North are very shut off and aloof from outsiders.
I am quite liberal.
Aggressive? Not really.
Lack of manners? Are you kidding? I would have gotten a slap for that nonsense. Please, thank you, holding the door, due unto others.
You can't find sweet tea everywhere here--which is fine with me because I no longer drink sweetened beverages, and haven't for many years.
The cities don't blend together. Boston is not NYC. NYC isn't Philadelphia. Philly isn't Baltimore, and Baltimore isn't DC. I don't where you got that Idea.

Some rural communities in the North are very shut off and aloof from outsiders? That never happens south of the border, does it?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,484,119 times
I've said it once, I'll say it a million times again; the north and the south are not that different. The biggest differences are in the rural to urban ratios. There are more urban areas up north, less down south. BUUUUUUUUUUT not all southerners are friendly laid back country folk nor are all northerners aggressive, money-minded grumps.

Rural culture in the north is extremely similar to the south. Accents and language is different. Ancestry can differ greatly. That's it. That's really it.

For some reason a lot of southerners refuse to accept that they have kindred spirits up north in rural culture and struggles. Likewise there are northerners who are ignorant of the south and are dead set that everybody there is stupid and possibly inbred (even though New Hampshire has a long history of inbreeding that gives any southern state a run).

I ask of you, on both sides, please stop generalizing each other.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,334,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I've said it once, I'll say it a million times again; the north and the south are not that different. The biggest differences are in the rural to urban ratios. There are more urban areas up north, less down south. BUUUUUUUUUUT not all southerners are friendly laid back country folk nor are all northerners aggressive, money-minded grumps.

Rural culture in the north is extremely similar to the south. Accents and language is different. Ancestry can differ greatly. That's it. That's really it.

For some reason a lot of southerners refuse to accept that they have kindred spirits up north in rural culture and struggles. Likewise there are northerners who are ignorant of the south and are dead set that everybody there is stupid and possibly inbred (even though New Hampshire has a long history of inbreeding that gives any southern state a run).

I ask of you, on both sides, please stop generalizing each other.
No, they are actually very different and that's not the only difference but alright.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 AM

37,792 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Cuisine, religion, political ideology, and educational attainment can be different as well. I don't think the rural South and rural North are drastically different, but there are certainly very noticeable differences.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I am quite liberal.
Aggressive? Not really.

You've REALLY never said "you guys"?

And reading through your post, I just realized the poster claimed Northeastern states are more "blue collar." Right, that's why they're some of the wealthiest in the nation. NJ, MA, CT. Stereotypes aren't fun.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:35 AM

31,880 posts, read 34,374,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
And reading through your post, I just realized the poster claimed Northeastern states are more "blue collar." Right, that's why they're some of the wealthiest in the nation. NJ, MA, CT. Stereotypes aren't fun.
I don't think being more blue collar and being more affluent are necessarily mutually exclusive. Some Northeastern metros have a large blue collar element and a large white collar element that exist side by side. What the South has more of, however, is poverty.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think being more blue collar and being more affluent are necessarily mutually exclusive. Some Northeastern metros have a large blue collar element and a large white collar element that exist side by side. What the South has more of, however, is poverty.
I think the "blue collar" Northeast ended decades ago. Yes there is still a blue collar element in all states here but it's an old stereotype IMHO.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:04 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,347,986 times
You have an accent too, but it is not exactly the same throughout your whole state. The mid-atlantic is in the middle, so it is in the northeast and the southeast at the same time.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You've REALLY never said "you guys"?

Only in jest. Where I grew up it was not uncommon to hear youse guys, ain't, hayna, double negatives. It wasn't happening in my house. When I spoke improperly, I had to suffer The Wrath of Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.