Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're being dramatic, you and I have had these conversations before. You don't have to conduct anything, I lived in your home region and have family there. I didn't go to school there, so I won't speak to that, but I lived there as an adult and have adult remembrances and experiences of regional identity of the natives...
Dramatic? Funny, I thought I was just being lightheartedly silly.

Text surely is the future of communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 05:14 PM

110 posts, read 113,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Explain.
What I mean by this is that Virginia should be recognized for its influence on the nation more than its influence on the south. It was the first British Colony and gave way to the creation of six other US states. North Carolina and Maryland were also apart of the Virginia colony before they were settled. It was also the birthplace of eight US presidents. This is more than any other state. Before the confederacy, Virginia was obviously a large slave state with lots of plantations. However, most of the lowland South adopted the West Indian plantation model with race based slavery. Virginia predated this model and had many free African Americans who owned slaves of their own. I am not saying that Virginia did not have an impact on the South. I just feel like Virginia had just as much impact on every other part of the Eastern Seaboard. Virginia is more on its own along with Maryland when it comes to colonial culture. While it did influence the South to some degree, Virginia itself was its own culture.

This article explains how Virginia and Richmond were different from the traditional south early on.
https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...-of-the-south/

Also, the book American Nations by Colin Woodard talks about how the much smaller Chesapeake region differed from the other parts of the South which is much larger in size according to him.

Last edited by Magicstar1; 11-06-2018 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Reply

Old 11-06-2018, 08:59 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The large part of it is that all those areas are politically liberal.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The large part of it is that all those areas are politically liberal.
But the composition of what makes the areas liberal are completely different. Maryland being an official southern state, that in reality is more neutral, is an outlier. The reason that it is so liberal is because of the large black population the state has. In New York and New Jersey (and even Pennsylvania), there are large blue collar white areas that are traditionally democratic. If you go to similar areas in Maryland, they are almost 100% conservative. You will not find a large black county like PG county Maryland anywhere in the Northeast. That is an example of Maryland's southern characteristics, and is a big reason it is such a blue state.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:32 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
But the composition of what makes the areas liberal are completely different. Maryland being an official southern state, that in reality is more neutral, is an outlier. The reason that it is so liberal is because of the large black population the state has. In New York and New Jersey (and even Pennsylvania), there are large blue collar white areas that are traditionally democratic. If you go to similar areas in Maryland, they are almost 100% conservative. You will not find a large black county like PG county Maryland anywhere in the Northeast. That is an example of Maryland's southern characteristics, and is a big reason it is such a blue state.
????

False. Maryland is not 100% conservative outside of PG and Baltimore, wtf?

It's mid-Atlantic/Northern now. PG County is just one outlier, there are 24 counties in the state.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...elections.html

Heck even Virginia now has moderate areas that are mixed in outside of NOVA and Richmond that vote blue. Sounds like your stuck in a time warp, this is 2018.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
What I mean by this is that Virginia should be recognized for its influence on the nation more than its influence on the south. It was the first British Colony and gave way to the creation of six other US states. North Carolina and Maryland were also apart of the Virginia colony before they were settled. It was also the birthplace of eight US presidents. This is more than any other state. Before the confederacy, Virginia was obviously a large slave state with lots of plantations. However, most of the lowland South adopted the West Indian plantation model with race based slavery. Virginia predated this model and had many free African Americans who owned slaves of their own. I am not saying that Virginia did not have an impact on the South. I just feel like Virginia had just as much impact on every other part of the Eastern Seaboard. Virginia is more on its own along with Maryland when it comes to colonial culture. While it did influence the South to some degree, Virginia itself was its own culture.

This article explains how Virginia and Richmond were different from the traditional south early on.
https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...-of-the-south/

Also, the book American Nations by Colin Woodard talks about how the much smaller Chesapeake region differed from the other parts of the South which is much larger in size according to him.
There was certainly a basis for your statement but just wanted to hear it fleshed out a bit. Much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia all have higher Black percentages statewide than Maryland.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:55 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
????

It's mid-Atlantic/Northern now. PG County is just one outlier, there are 24 counties in the state.

Heck even Virginia now has moderate areas that are mixed in outside of NOVA and Richmond that vote blue. Sounds like your stuck in a time warp, this is 2018.
Maryland is certainly an outlier for the south and the northeast due to it's more affluent Black culture that doesn't really exist in most of the south and almost non-existent in the pure northeast. When I say affluent black culture I'm talking about hbcus, upper middle-class black neighborhoods, towns where blacks make on average over 100k a year, etc. When it comes to black culture Maryland leans more southern but white culture it leans more northern.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
????

Maryland is Dixie my friend.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Maryland is liberal because like 2/3 of its population now lives in two big metropolitan areas. It's one of the most Democratic states in the country because both minorities and public sector employees are vastly over-represented in the state. The areas of the state that aren't touched much by either (such as Western Maryland) tend to be fairly Republican and conservative. But you could probably say that about similar areas in Pennsylvania as well, so I don't know how "Southern" that makes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.