Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:05 PM

256 posts, read 155,811 times

Advertisements

That's because Maryland hasn't been the South for about a century now.

The South begins at the Rappahannock, not the M-D nor the Potomac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 05:04 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Cookie Skoon,

This is hilarious, I'm trying to upload pics of a book I stumbled across today called "New York and the Mid-Atlantic's best trips". The irony to me is it fits within our sub-convo and it is titled New York and the Mid-Atlantic, insinuating that NY itself is not Mid-Atlantic (something I think most New Yorkers and people in general would agree with)...

I can't upload for some reason but it's written by Lonely Planet, and they consider the Mid-Atlantic to be the Virginias, DC/Maryland/Delaware, Penna & Jersey..

Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
????

False. Maryland is not 100% conservative outside of PG and Baltimore, wtf?

It's mid-Atlantic/Northern now. PG County is just one outlier, there are 24 counties in the state.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...elections.html

Heck even Virginia now has moderate areas that are mixed in outside of NOVA and Richmond that vote blue. Sounds like your stuck in a time warp, this is 2018.
You are misunderstanding me. I know that MD is not 100% conservative outside of Baltimore and DC. That isn't my point. The Baltimore-DC corridor is overall very liberal (blue), thus, MD as a state will always be blue.

My point is, if you go to rural, white working class parts of Maryland, these areas are nearly completely red/conservative. Pennsylvania, Upstate New York, and more rural parts of Central/South Jersey you can find a good amount of blue white, working class voting blocks (the last election was somewhat an outlier). Part of my hypothesis of why that is (just a complete guess), is that you will find lots of ethnic white groups (Irish, Italian, Polish, etc) there in the northeast that do not exist in Maryland, again a characteristic that makes Maryland more aligned with the south.

So while the states are all majority blue, the composition of the blue voters is different. Whites and many other races near the major metro areas in all of these states lean blue. But you will find more working class white democrats in rural areas of PA, NY, and NJ than you will in MD. The white rural population in MD is more closely aligned with the south.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You are misunderstanding me. I know that MD is not 100% conservative outside of Baltimore and DC. That isn't my point. The Baltimore-DC corridor is overall very liberal (blue), thus, MD as a state will always be blue.

My point is, if you go to rural, white working class parts of Maryland, these areas are nearly completely red/conservative. Pennsylvania, Upstate New York, and more rural parts of Central/South Jersey you can find a good amount of blue white, working class voting blocks (the last election was somewhat an outlier). Part of my hypothesis of why that is (just a complete guess), is that you will find lots of ethnic white groups (Irish, Italian, Polish, etc) there in the northeast that do not exist in Maryland, again a characteristic that makes Maryland more aligned with the south.

So while the states are all majority blue, the composition of the blue voters is different. Whites and many other races near the major metro areas in all of these states lean blue. But you will find more working class white democrats in rural areas of PA, NY, and NJ than you will in MD. The white rural population in MD is more closely aligned with the south.
Northeastern States of NY, NJ and PA, outside of the large and midsized metros are pretty conservative as well. I wouldn't hang my hat on that as being the determining factor. However, the fact remains that MD is a southern state.

When you really think about it, the African American, Irish and italian population percentages are really what determines what is north and south, and even then it's really the Italian and Black population percentages, and the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Northeastern States of NY, NJ and PA, outside of the large and midsized metros are pretty conservative as well. I wouldn't hang my hat on that as being the determining factor. However, the fact remains that MD is a southern state.

When you really think about it, the African American, Irish and italian population percentages are really what determines what is north and south, and even then it's really the Italian and Black population percentages, and the Mason-Dixon line.
Until that third sentence we finally agree on something.

PA voted for Trump! There are obviously more conservatives (whites) in that state than is perceived, and honestly based on total population more there than are in the state of MD.

I saw multiple confederate flags when riding through upstate NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I can promise you or bet you that there are more conservative whites living in Pennsylvania than the state of Maryland.

The rural white population in Maryland is small af, you're comparing it like that's even more than 1/5 of the state's population, its not.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterthemo View Post
Rural areas are usually conservative. Urban areas are not.

There is no such thing as a red state or blue state.
VT, MA, and HI all say "We're blue states!"

Old 11-08-2018, 12:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
VT, MA, and HI all say "We're blue states!"

Don't remind me. I think the last 3 speakers of the Massachusetts State House went to prison, and before that there was Whitey Bulger's brother.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Until that third sentence we finally agree on something.

PA voted for Trump! There are obviously more conservatives (whites) in that state than is perceived, and honestly based on total population more there than are in the state of MD.

I saw multiple confederate flags when riding through upstate NY.

I can promise you or bet you that there are more conservative whites living in Pennsylvania than the state of Maryland.

The rural white population in Maryland is small af, you're comparing it like that's even more than 1/5 of the state's population, its not.

Actually in PA in 2016, there were not more conservative votes, there were less votes for Hilary than Obama, more people elected to not vote for either, was an odd dynamic. Philadelphia alone had more than 150K less D votes in 2016 vs 2012 while the R votes were actually only slightly lower

PA ended up going red because many D and moderates elected not to vote at all, it wasn't a ground swell of R votes

most of that was in the suburban Philly Allegheny and Philly itself; was a strange dynamic

PA had the largest congressional Blue turn of all states in the latest election

On more that may be the case as the population of PA is much higher than MD, there would alos be many more liberal whites as well

Old 11-08-2018, 01:24 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually in PA in 2016, there were not more conservative votes, there were less votes for Hilary than Obama, more people elected to not vote for either, was an odd dynamic. Philadelphia alone had more than 150K less D votes in 2016 vs 2012 while the R votes were actually only slightly lower

PA ended up going red because many D and moderates elected not to vote at all, it wasn't a ground swell of R votes

most of that was in the suburban Philly Allegheny and Philly itself; was a strange dynamic

PA had the largest congressional Blue turn of all states in the latest election

On more that may be the case as the population of PA is much higher than MD, there would alos be many more liberal whites as well
Still, this doesn't look good.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterthemo View Post
Yes, let's cherry pick three of the smallest states in a country of 50.

Hey I was going by the map you posted.

And keep in mind that many of those red areas are sparsely populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.