Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

I arrived in Seattle a few hours ago and I am waiting for my friends and cousins to arrive at a later point today from the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Portland.

I'm excited to see the United States again, this time from a visitors point of view. Anyhow, the Pacific Northwest is my favorite region of North America, by so far and away. I have a genuine love for all 4 of the major cities in the Cascadian Corridor; Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, and Portland.

Anyhow, give recommendations on things you've either seen, done, or experienced in the cities of the Pacific Northwest that you would recommend for others to try. I was in the Pacific Northwest just last winter and had a great time but didn't get to try out every type of food, or hike on some of the better trails, or go camping outdoors, and the like last year due to limited time. This time I'd like to try more new things and experience more of what the Pacific Northwest has to offer.

We have our own plans already but figured that there is nothing wrong in asking and getting some recommendations that we may have overlooked otherwise. Give me some of your recommendations for food, sites to see, areas to go hiking, hookah bars to go to, other fun things to do in the areas.

One thing, we will likely not be going to Portland this time around since we are low on time but we are definitely staying in Vancouver and Seattle, also spending a fair amount of time in Victoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 AM

591 posts, read 820,875 times
One place I absolutely love is 8 oz in Capitol Hill... the burgers there are awesome.
If you've never taken a ferry to Bainbridge Island, I recommend that.
Cool, yet underrated neighborhoods are Fremont and Ballard.
If you guys want some spectacular views of the city, check out Kerry Park in Queen Anne or Alki Beach in West Seattle.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Seeing the Orca's jumping in the Sound definitely made going for a whale watch a memorable expirence.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:51 PM

765 posts, read 899,030 times
The San Juan islands (specifically Oracs island) is the most beautiful place I have ever been. If it wasn't for the temperature you wouldn't even know that it was winter. So many madrones!!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Stay in the SEA area. There is so much more to offer, but you have to get out and grab it, not let it grab you. I guess this would be called part of the NW experience. Enjoy and remember that nobody is going to offer you free tours this time of year. In fact, this time of year is the worst time of year to visit Seattle, but as I have told many visitors, this is the best time to visit, as you will see Seattle at its worst, and enjoy the lowest hotel rates, right up till about December 21st.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:49 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
At least it is supposed to be dry all week

Old 11-25-2015, 01:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
High tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. I used to love going there when I lived in Bellingham.

Victoria Afternoon Tea at The Fairmont Empress Resort Victoria, British Columbia

I was also going to suggest taking the ferry, but you'll probably do that if you're going to Victoria. If you can take a longer ferry ride though the San Juan Islands from the US, instead of from Vancouver, it's a wonderful trip and you will pass by some islands that are nature preserves with wildlife.

In Vancouver, Stanley Park is fun. I used to roller skate around it in my younger days.

Stanley Park | City of Vancouver

Vancouver is a great place to buy beautiful boots and sweaters. They were definitely more unique and higher quality than anything I could find in the US when I lived in that area, so if that interests you at all, do some shopping in Vancouver, too.

The Grouse Mountain skyride is amazing and a little scary :-)

https://grousemountain.com/skyride

In Vancouver, the gaslight district:

Gastown Vancouver bc canada tourism history heritage images pictures photographs

Old 11-25-2015, 07:10 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
While in Victoria, if you end up indoors for a while definitely check out the Royal BC Museum. It exceeded my expectations and I killed about 3-4 hours there looking at the exhibits.

Royal BC Museum

Old 11-25-2015, 10:07 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
If you can make it up to Leavenworth, WA it's well worth the trip especially this time of year. Check it out.

Leavenworth Washington Hotels, Lodging, Festivals & Events

Old 11-25-2015, 06:31 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
The weather in Seattle so far has been the EXACT same as what it was for me in London the last two weeks. That's okay though, I've enjoyed my trip a lot so far.

Looking forward to more tomorrow.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-25-2015 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.