Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

I often see posters on C-D refer to a "Midwestern vibe."

Quote:
The Buffalo area has a Midwestern vibe.
Quote:
I got a slight hint of a Midwestern vibe from Billings, MT. It's the only city in Montana that feels that way.
Quote:
As a suburbanite, I use to HATE going to Chicago as a child. My cousins would not stop. Be it slap boxing, signifying, etc. However, the ENERGY was incredible! As I got older, I was enveloped by the energy. I just love the way that we use to get down. Music was good back then. It has this wonderful big city vibe. It has a wonderful Midwestern vibe.
Quote:
Chicago is a massive city that is naturally cosmopolitan and liberal, but also has a laid-back/midwestern vibe.
Quote:
Upstate NY is kind of like that. We have a strong NYC influence in the eastern half, while western NY(i.e.-Buffalo and Rochester areas), have more of a Midwestern vibe. For instance, you'll hear people say, " pop" instead of soda like we say here in Syracuse.
Quote:
Denver in years past had a fairly strong "midwestern vibe" because an awful lot of people who relocated there were from the Midwest.
Quote:
And instead of the absolute crazy diversity of Queens, it's a distinctly a Midwestern vibe in a large part of the neighborhoods w/ a few exceptions like Devon/Albany Park/Ktown of what you might expect in Cleveland, Minneapolis, etc.
Quote:
Overall Dallas gives off that Midwestern vibe not found anywhere else in the State of Texas.
Quote:
Have you looked at Denver? It has a midwestern vibe kind of like the cities you mentioned, and it is active and young, with plenty of colleges.
What does it mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:24 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
It means boring. Midwesterners move to Florida to put a little bit more fun and excitement in their lives.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
It means boring. Midwesterners move to Florida to put a little bit more fun and excitement in their lives.
yee-HAH!

https://activerain-store.s3.amazonaw...9315247436.jpg

Old 01-25-2016, 02:50 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
This is true. Midwesterners do move to Florida to put more fun and excitement in the lives of people in Florida. That's really what we do. Everywhere you go the coolest people there all come from Indiana, or Illinois or Nebraska, etc. We have so much coolness we can afford to share our crumbs with the coasts.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:51 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Clearly you don't know enough about the Midwest.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:57 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
It means people work the land. When you go to the store you are going to see people in cowboy boots flannels and trucker hats. The same at a restaurant or a disco.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
LOL, there is so much ignorance in these responses. In the effort to subtly bash the Midwest, people are demonstrating just how they'll accept any stereotype to drive their point home. It is amusing, though.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:43 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Midwestern vibe is a rhetorical straw man. In reality the Midwest is too large and diverse to have one vibe.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
It means people work the land. When you go to the store you are going to see people in cowboy boots flannels and trucker hats. The same at a restaurant or a disco.
Yeah, because I see lots of that in Minneapolis smh.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:45 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
A specific conformity, you'd have to spend time in the midwest to understand. Most of America is like this, but there's a distinct type found in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.