Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Hmm, interesting information here. I had no idea some of those cities were that expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
High priced metros are not for "average" people.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Stop voting for liberal Democrats!!
I'm not sure it's the fault of the liberal democrats. Lots of factors.

Take a look at a chart of the money supply over the past 40 years. That's the work of the Fed. And I'm not sure who is to blame for all the illegals, but they're everywhere, right? Too many people in some areas, and that affects the cost of living.

It's too bad, really. The entire state of California has pretty much been destroyed because of the real estate market there. I'm sure the people who already own real estate are doing just fine, but pity the normal person who wants to move to California from Peoria.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:04 AM

461 posts, read 861,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post

Take a look at a chart of the money supply over the past 40 years. That's the work of the Fed. And I'm not sure who is to blame for all the illegals, but they're everywhere, right? Too many people in some areas, and that affects the cost of living.

It's too bad, really. The entire state of California has pretty much been destroyed because of the real estate market there. I'm sure the people who already own real estate are doing just fine, but pity the normal person who wants to move to California from Peoria.
Totally agree with you - but I question whether this is yet another boom-bust cycle - we went through the housing market crash secondary to too many loans and for a dearth of houses.
Now we don't have enough housing amenable to new/young folks moving from Peoria to CA for example as per the above poster.
Easier to move to CA from IL when rents are <$1000 or less than 1/3 of incomes as per my previous posts

Other trends to note:

# Millennials and retirees want to move to a bigger city/urban area
# West Coast cities most likely offer a better SOL compared to East Coast cities - namely in amenities associated with nature (west coast mountains), public transport, urban density/walkability, and weather

Should we build more housing?
What is the next "hip" place to move in the West Coast so we can buy housing for a reasonable amount and still enjoy "big city amenities"?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:03 PM

707 posts, read 750,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post

That's one of the reasons the West tries to distance itself from California and the coast. To us, the west coast is like a whole different country,

Old 11-22-2015, 05:39 PM

389 posts, read 330,428 times
California is a huge state in both population and land area. Yet it seems more than 75% of the population live in 3 small areas. A narrow band surrounding the SF bay, in LA between the mountains and ocean, and in the San Diego area. Its really no wonder housing costs are out of control.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMind11 View Post
It's certainly expensive, but if you are responsible with your money you can survive. I'm an average earner, but have been fortunate enough to be able to afford to buy a home in California at a pretty young age. It all started working when I was younger at 15 and saving, not wasting my money like my peers. Worked through college, saving saving, got a 'real job' (nothing amazing), continued the saving trend, not splurging on fancy cars, apartments, eating out, drinking, etc. After years of doing this, enough money was saved to afford a home and of course rent for years before that. To be fair the home was purchased with a spouse, but we're both average income.

With that said, I think its too expensive in CA and plan on leaving to cheaper areas of the country so I don't have to work the rest of my life to pay off said house.

Since you're single, I would do much of the above, unfortunately its not feasible in many areas to live alone, simply too expensive, you'll have to have roommates or live with family. Before my spouse, I lived with roommates and family, saving as much as I could.

Move to the Midwest, cheap housing and certain areas have good jobs as well. Thats my plan!
Yeah - but unfortunately its the Midwest.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:50 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not all of the Midwest is lame and boring.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not all of the Midwest is lame and boring.
I'm a Millennial and I'd rather live in the Midwest than the Phoenix, AZ area.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
That's what makes it so great. I lived the first half of my life in the Midwest and the second half in the PNW. I have now returned to the Midwest. The Midwest has so much more to offer and for so much less expense. Midwest weather aside which I know can be a problem for some, I just don't see all the hype about the West Coast.

I think many people who have the attitude "but unfortunately its the Midwest" have never lived there or if they have, they never bothered to learn all that it has to offer. One of the best things about the Midwest is you don't get the smug attitude of superiority prevalent on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.