Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
It's amazing how much I see Missouri in this statement apart from the stuff about the Great Lakes. Take out the Great LAkes, and you've essentially summed Missouri up in a nutshell. Missouri I would definitely say comes very close to the definition of "American" as well. Very much diverse like Ohio, not a boring state at all. These two states never get boring at least to me. 50% of my family resides in Cleveland, and I have many friends at SLU from Ohio, so I could very easily call it my second home and I know the state very well.
I completely agree with you. St. Louis, carbon copy of Cleveland in many areas. I have friends from St. Louis that go to Kent with me and we go downtown on Fridays and Saturdays and they tell me how much Cleveland is like St. Louis. Well I have been to St. Louis the last couple of years on recent trips and I see the resemblance.

Missouri and Ohio have almost the exact same demographics too. 11.7% of Ohio is black.........11.6% of Missouri is black. I think Ohio has a slightly higher hispanic population, and our asian populations are about equal. Ohio is 85% white and Missouri is 84.7% white.

I really want to travel to Branson, I hear it is very nice down there. What is Columbia like. I bet a big college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 12:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Thank you for all the insightful responses. I look forward to researching further the big cities of Ohio. I have also gone over the official Ohio Visitor's Guide & am very impressed by the diversity and the offerings of the state.

Oh yes, & I've heard lots about St. Louis. That's on a "to-see" list for me too. There's so much to see in the Midwest alone.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:22 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
If you like Atlanta and Dallas, I'd say you should check out Columbus. Not far from Columbus is Holmes County, which is the heart of Ohio Amish Country. That's probably one of my favorite places in the state. The scenery is very pretty, if you can see beyond the tacky touristy crap. If you happen to come from the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the Ohio Turnpike, you will see a world of difference. PA's is twisty, narrow and downright scary, but Ohio's is wide, straight and relaxing.

Cleveland is worth seeing if you have the time, or if you have a special interest in the history of Rock 'n Roll. Some of the suburbs are quite nice. I always enjoyed slow drives through Shaker Heights, which is just east of the city and has beautiful, old homes.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 PM

211 posts, read 978,811 times
I believe Jerry Springer refers to Ohio so much because he used to be the Mayor of Cincinnati.

Ohio is very, very beautiful. In fact, that is the meaning of the word Ohio. The Iroquois used the term to describe Ohio, Ontario, etc. - - means "Beautiful."

I was born and raised in Cleveland. It's not what it used to be. In fact, it's falling apart. However, the burbs, and all throughout Ohio are some of the most beautiful country you can see - - - especially in the fall. AMAZING! When people think of Ohio, it is only natural that they think of the main cities, but truly, the heart of Ohio is the most amazing area. Anyone ride a Harley-Davidson through Ohio during the fall, spring and summer???? . . . unmatched! Reminded me of Northern San Jose, CA. We have one of the largest Amish populations in the country in Holmes County (close to Cleveland). Outstanding food, fresh produce, etc. In fact, all throughout Ohio and in the outer areas, you will always find farmers selling fresh fruits and veggies. Love it!

As far as the politics, taxes, and state problems . . . . there are a lot. However, don't confuse the people with the politicians that are destroying our state. The people are very down-to-earth, very nice, and extremely giving. Don't visit the inner cities and make your decision . . . DRIVE throughout Ohio. You'll be amazed.

I'm almost sad that we want to move to another state. I'll miss the fresh water supply, the lake, and the Lake Erie Islands (a great vacation by the way). I'm just so disheartened with the taxes, politics, etc. I run my own business and they are killing me to death. Winters kind of stink too.

Good luck. Welcome to Ohio (Even if you just visit:-)

Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Cincinnati has to be the most depressing city in the US. It's county is the 3rd fastest shrinking in the US (already lost 22,000+ in population since 2000) and has major race and crime issues. While other cities are revitalizing their downtowns, Cinci has a SHRINKING downtown population, and very few new buildings have been built in several decades.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I completely agree with you. St. Louis, carbon copy of Cleveland in many areas. I have friends from St. Louis that go to Kent with me and we go downtown on Fridays and Saturdays and they tell me how much Cleveland is like St. Louis. Well I have been to St. Louis the last couple of years on recent trips and I see the resemblance.

Missouri and Ohio have almost the exact same demographics too. 11.7% of Ohio is black.........11.6% of Missouri is black. I think Ohio has a slightly higher hispanic population, and our asian populations are about equal. Ohio is 85% white and Missouri is 84.7% white.

I really want to travel to Branson, I hear it is very nice down there. What is Columbia like. I bet a big college town.
Yea, me and my cousins from Cleveland talk about how our cities are similar to each other, plus our states. Missouri and Ohio to me at least are very similar.In terms of climate, Ohio obviously has harsher winters and Missouri harsher summers. Both Midwestern, both very politically divided states, and historic swing states, both border upon other regions of the United States, therefore accounting for the diverse landscape and diverse culture, Columbia yes is a big college town, in fact it's strange because you would expect being so close to Jefferson City that Columbia would not be the big city that it is, but Columbia is the location of Mizzou, and then of course you've also got Kansas City, which feels like you're beginning to leave the Midwest and enter the west. Mizzou essentially i would say defines Columbia.

Last edited by ajf131; 02-03-2008 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:

Yea...Branson is at the heart of the Ozarks...Silver Dollar City is a great amusement park....you are practically in Arkansas by the time you are in Branson. You've also got Springfield and Joplin just to the north of Branson, which are among the nation's most rapidly growing cities.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
If you have to choose which city to visit between Cleveland and Cincinnati, I would recommend Cleveland more, but if you can than visit both of them. Cleveland has more of a Northeast feel to it, and the whole area is very urban and has a pretty high density. Cincinnati looks more like a Northeastern city but the city is more conservative and southern, and also has more racial tensions, it also is a lot more hilly than Cleveland. The Cleveland Akron area is also the largest with 3 million people, Cincinnati is the next with 2.1 million people. The Cleveland area is also the most diverse and has a huge African American population and also a large Hispanic population.

The state of Ohio is very diverse. Ohio isnt like some states where it has areas that are not populated, the whole state of Ohio is populated. We have large cities, medium cities, small cities, towns, and rural areas. NE Ohio is the most urban area and feels more like the Northeast. SW Ohio is more southern but is urban also and has a lot of hills. NW Ohio is mostly farms except for the Toledo area, basically like the average midwest area. Central Ohio is very plain, it has farms and there is pretty much nothing outside of Columbus. SE Ohio is by my least favorite, sort of like W. Virginia. There is pretty much nothing but a bunch of small farms and hills everywhere. No offense to anyone living down there but I didnt like it. My favorite is NE Ohio because there is a lot of cities here and a large urban population, and there is everything you need here and its close to Cedar Point.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 AM

211 posts, read 978,811 times
Quote:

Ya know, this point really had me curious; so I asked my husband about the above scenario (literally, he is in St. Louis 3 x a week, as well as Kansas City). He agrees 100%! St. Louis is almost a carbon copy of Cleveland with the exception of the lake. However, he does say that he prefers St. Louis a little bit more. He said it's a really nice city with a lot to do.

Kansas City . . . he thinks it's a depressing dive. (No offense to anyone from there . . . sorry).

Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 AM

93 posts, read 247,120 times
Quote:

Cincinnati is one of America's great river cities. Cincinnati has a booming riverfront, many parks, restaurants and clubs. The Banks project is getting built on the central riverfront bringing in shopping, restaurants, clubs, and condos/lofts. Cincinnati is currently building its new tallest skyscraper. Fountain Square in the middle of downtown Cincinnati just finished a $50 million dollar renovation, brining in a new ice skating rink, new restaurants, and I believe a new Macy's. Macy's Inc. is headquartered in downtown Cincinnati. Cincinnati is also home to fast growing suburbs, and suburbs that go back to the 1800's with the brick style mainstreets. Home to some of the best urban colleges in the country. Cincinnati is a city like no other.
I just moved out of downtown Cincinnnati after living there for about 2 years. The quote above is not entirely accurate.

First, I wouldn't call the riverfront "booming." Currently, the only things on the riverfront are really Great American Ball Park (Reds), Paul Brown Stadium (Bengals), and U.S. Bank Arena (arena football, hockey, concerts). The National Underground Railway Museum is also there, but has been having significant attendance problems as of late, although it is a very nice building. In fact, The riverfront is actually somewhat disconnected from downtown by the interstate highway that also runs along the riverfront in downtown. There is also a park next to the stadiums, and there are "party in the park" festivals in the summer that are relatively well attended. However, for the most part you will not find anyone (other than homeless folks) hanging out along the riverfront when these sporting/special events are not going on (and people will leave immediately after such an event).

Also, the Banks project is not "getting built" in the sense of actual construction going on. The project has been in the planning stages for years. No actual construction has occurred at this point, nor has been actually scheduled. The project is still in the governmental/administrative stages and Cincinnati local government moves very, very slowly. Thus, "The Banks" is an empty field on the riverfront in between the Reds' and Bengals' stadium and looks to continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Fountain Square has undergone a renovation that has greatly improved the appearance of the square and has brought in several quality new restaurants. The Macy's is not new and shopping in downtown is generally not that great.

However, the restaurants in Cincy are pretty good for a city of its size. There are a number of really, really good local restaurants. Check out Cincinnati magazine's yearly top 25 list (always on the website) for good recommendations.

Nightlife is okay. Mostly bar-focused, so if you're interested in clubs you should probably look elsewhere, although there are a few. Mt. Adams is a fun area, as is Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout (although more focused on locals). Main Strasse in Covington (just across the Ohio River in Kentucky) is also a fun area. Downtown is attracting more people lately than it has historically, but I would not yet call it a hot spot.

Cincinnati's urban colleges are the U of Cincinnati and Xavier. Both are good institutions, but I wouldn't include them among the "best urban colleges" in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.