Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,048 times

Advertisements

I've been to many parts of the country extensively except the midwest (only been to Chicago). However, I plan to fulfill my curiosity about Ohio by visiting either Cleveland or Cincinatti (which one?) in the near future.

The reason why is because Ohio is intriguing to me. There must be some things going on there, as it has a pretty decent sized population & it really is a pretty prominent though lowkey state. To me, I imagine it to be the true "All-American" state. I've read that lots of companies do product test runs in Ohio first to gauge its response nationally because Ohio's populace is the most like a cross-section of the nation as a whole. I live in Seattle & have lived in coastal California, I know what good scenery is like & I'm not expecting to see nice scenery in Ohio, it's more to see what life is like in Ohio.

But why does Jerry Springer always make references on his show, to his guests being from Ohio & he's not surprised? So what is special about Ohio. And which is the overall best city for a first time visitor to Ohio? (we like shopping, eating, nice views, & visiting nice suburban communities) (Does it help to mention that I love Atlanta & Dallas?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 01:50 AM

161 posts, read 418,087 times
well my little sister was born in springfield..
and lets see... i remember all the snow.
other than that i dont remember that much- i was about 16 or so.
also i have a wonderful aunt and uncle that lives in fredericksburg to.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:04 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to many parts of the country extensively except the midwest (only been to Chicago). However, I plan to fulfill my curiosity about Ohio by visiting either Cleveland or Cincinatti (which one?) in the near future.

The reason why is because Ohio is intriguing to me. There must be some things going on there, as it has a pretty decent sized population & it really is a pretty prominent though lowkey state. To me, I imagine it to be the true "All-American" state. I've read that lots of companies do product test runs in Ohio first to gauge its response nationally because Ohio's populace is the most like a cross-section of the nation as a whole. I live in Seattle & have lived in coastal California, I know what good scenery is like & I'm not expecting to see nice scenery in Ohio, it's more to see what life is like in Ohio.

But why does Jerry Springer always make references on his show, to his guests being from Ohio & he's not surprised? So what is special about Ohio. And which is the overall best city for a first time visitor to Ohio? (we like shopping, eating, nice views, & visiting nice suburban communities) (Does it help to mention that I love Atlanta & Dallas?)
Jerry Springer was the mayor of Cincinnati. Cincinnati is an older feeling city. Cleveland feels more like the traditional midwestern city.
There is nice scenery in Ohio, just not mountains or Sequoias. Parts of the state are in the foothills of the Appalachians. Churchill called Cincinnati the most beautiful inland city in America, seeing the Ohio is pretty neat. Cleveland has Lake Erie (to take a drive out from the city).

Old 02-02-2008, 04:18 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
OHio has a pretty diverse landscape to it too. It's got the Appalachian foothills in the Southeast, the Great Lakes Plains in Northern Ohio, which actually are pretty hilly and some times cliffy, it's really hilly and cliffy along the Ohio River, and then the rest of the state is primarily gentle rolling hills with cornfields.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:20 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,423 times
I drove across Ohio and back through again after visiting the Northeast some years ago, and recall the country side there being pleasant, and people friendly. I wasn't particularly impressed nor was I disappointed with either Cleveland or Columbus, the two cities I stayed in, but that's probably owing to the fact that I just wasn't there long enough. When I think of all around American places, Ohio definitely comes to mind.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,422,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've read that lots of companies do product test runs in Ohio first to gauge its response nationally because Ohio's populace is the most like a cross-section of the nation as a whole. I
I believe Columbus, OH is the current national test market. Syracuse used to be the test market before the economy tanked in the 1990s.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:36 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,730 times
I no longer live in Ohio, but I lived in Cleveland till I was 21 and it's a great place to visit. You've got Lake Erie, the Great Lakes Science Center, Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Playhouse Square, Cleveland Orchestra, a great art museum, and other things/places to see/do. Also within a reasonable drive is Cedar Point (the roller coaster capital of the world), and Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

I can't speak for Cincinnati as I have only been there once and it was many years ago, but I have been to Columbus a number of times and it was a blast. I think Columbus though is more fun for younger people like myself thouhg than older folks. Especially with Ohio State having such a massive presence in the city.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
I think you should visit both cities, mostly because Northern and Southern Ohio are very different. I myself live in NE Ohio 15 minutes from Youngstown, an hour from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh and 45 minutes from Akron, so obviously i know a lot more about Cleveland than Cinci. Actually, i've never visited Cinci, but i have been to Columbus several times. I think most people would agree that the 3 C's are all very different and offer many different things.

Since i know the most about Cleveland i would recommend you visit there. Like others have said, there is Lake Erie, plays, sporting events, shopping (the best is in Beechwood), museums, etc. If i were you i would check out the Lake Erie Island Sites, I also always like to visit the terminal tower and public square when i'm in town. The observation floor there has some great views, unfortunately according to this site Terminal Tower Observation Deck it is rarely open now, but check out the site for some views from the tower.

You might also want to look into the following:

Goodtime III Cleveland's Largest Excursion Ship

http://www.lollytrolley.com/

Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad

Cleveland Metroparks

Cleveland, Ohio Day Trip - Geauga County and Amish Country

Welcome to Lake View Cemetery

A Christmas Story House

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

The Warehouse District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Playhouse Square Center

cleveland.com: Everything Cleveland

University Circle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, i must recommend one of my favorite places in Akron:Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens Home former home to the Seiberling family (founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber) and if your a pro-football fan you might want to drive down to Canton to see the Home Page - Pro Football Hall of Fame

Ok, i know that's a lot, i went a little crazy there, but i love Cleveland and NE Ohio. Not enough people give this area credit, especially the people that live here, but there is really a lot to do if you know where to look!

Good luck deciding on your trip!!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
Well we have one of the most diverse economies in the country, we have an extremely diverse population, 11.5 million people (7th in the nation), a diverse landscape, huge cities, medium cities, small cities, and great little small towns with a lot of history. We have are sprawling cities unfortunately, but our cities in Ohio are some of the best in the nation. So much history and so many different people call Ohio home. We have one of the best interstate systems in the country, one of the largest economies in the country, home to huge fortune 500 companies, one of the best state park systems in the country, two of some of the most popular theme parks in the world, Cedar Point and Kings Island. Ski resorts, rolling farmland, huge lakes for boating, part of the Great Lakes, one of the nation's longest rivers, and some of the best colleges. Ohio is extremely diverse filling almost anyone's needs.

Cleveland is one of the nation's huge "melting pot cities". So much culture, history, diversity, lots of museums, restaurants, clubs, sporting events, and extemely popular city districts like the Flats and Warehouse Districts. Cleveland has a great metro park system. Cuyahoga Nat'l park, only nat'l park in a metro of over 3 million. Great parks and beaches along the lakeshore as well. A visit to Cleveland, you have so many options to people of all sorts of interests.

Columbus is a young and new city. Growing by leaps and bounds. It has trendy city districts like Short North and the booming Arena District, explosive growing suburbs, great golfing, another great metro park system, and many people from across the globe are finding out why Columbus is becoming a new "global city."

Cincinnati is one of America's great river cities. Cincinnati has a booming riverfront, many parks, restaurants and clubs. The Banks project is getting built on the central riverfront bringing in shopping, restaurants, clubs, and condos/lofts. Cincinnati is currently building its new tallest skyscraper. Fountain Square in the middle of downtown Cincinnati just finished a $50 million dollar renovation, brining in a new ice skating rink, new restaurants, and I believe a new Macy's. Macy's Inc. is headquartered in downtown Cincinnati. Cincinnati is also home to fast growing suburbs, and suburbs that go back to the 1800's with the brick style mainstreets. Home to some of the best urban colleges in the country. Cincinnati is a city like no other.

Columbus:
Arena District | Columbus, Ohio | Sports, Dining, & Entertainment

Short North Arts District - Official Website - Columbus Short North - Short North Columbus

Cincinnati:
Fountain Square, Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cincinnati Photo Gallery by Jayson at pbase.com

Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Well we have one of the most diverse economies in the country, we have an extremely diverse population, 11.5 million people (7th in the nation), a diverse landscape, huge cities, medium cities, small cities, and great little small towns with a lot of history. We have are sprawling cities unfortunately, but our cities in Ohio are some of the best in the nation. So much history and so many different people call Ohio home. We have one of the best interstate systems in the country, one of the largest economies in the country, home to huge fortune 500 companies, one of the best state park systems in the country, two of some of the most popular theme parks in the world, Cedar Point and Kings Island. Ski resorts, rolling farmland, huge lakes for boating, part of the Great Lakes, one of the nation's longest rivers, and some of the best colleges. Ohio is extremely diverse filling almost anyone's needs.

Cleveland is one of the nation's huge "melting pot cities". So much culture, history, diversity, lots of museums, restaurants, clubs, sporting events, and extemely popular city districts like the Flats and Warehouse Districts. Cleveland has a great metro park system. Cuyahoga Nat'l park, only nat'l park in a metro of over 3 million. Great parks and beaches along the lakeshore as well. A visit to Cleveland, you have so many options to people of all sorts of interests.

Columbus is a young and new city. Growing by leaps and bounds. It has trendy city districts like Short North and the booming Arena District, explosive growing suburbs, great golfing, another great metro park system, and many people from across the globe are finding out why Columbus is becoming a new "global city."

Cincinnati is one of America's great river cities. Cincinnati has a booming riverfront, many parks, restaurants and clubs. The Banks project is getting built on the central riverfront bringing in shopping, restaurants, clubs, and condos/lofts. Cincinnati is currently building its new tallest skyscraper. Fountain Square in the middle of downtown Cincinnati just finished a $50 million dollar renovation, brining in a new ice skating rink, new restaurants, and I believe a new Macy's. Macy's Inc. is headquartered in downtown Cincinnati. Cincinnati is also home to fast growing suburbs, and suburbs that go back to the 1800's with the brick style mainstreets. Home to some of the best urban colleges in the country. Cincinnati is a city like no other.

Columbus:
Arena District | Columbus, Ohio | Sports, Dining, & Entertainment

Short North Arts District - Official Website - Columbus Short North - Short North Columbus

Cincinnati:
Fountain Square, Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cincinnati Photo Gallery by Jayson at pbase.com

It's amazing how much I see Missouri in this statement apart from the stuff about the Great Lakes. Take out the Great LAkes, and you've essentially summed Missouri up in a nutshell. Missouri I would definitely say comes very close to the definition of "American" as well. Very much diverse like Ohio, not a boring state at all. These two states never get boring at least to me. 50% of my family resides in Cleveland, and I have many friends at SLU from Ohio, so I could very easily call it my second home and I know the state very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.