Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are new yorkers undefeated in alcoholic consumption?
Yes, no city drinks more than new york 0 0%
No, new york is a city of honor students compared to... 41 89.13%
I vomited on my keyboard and can't respond properly 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,470 times

Advertisements

I would nominate StL as another heavy-drinking city. After all, we're the home of A-B (sort of), and our Mardi Gras and St. Party's Day celebrations can get pretty crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 05:08 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
^^^looks like Nevada is the overall winner here.
Look at new Hampshire!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:05 AM

643 posts, read 1,017,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
^^^looks like Nevada is the overall winner here.
Why would Nevada be the winner, when it's clear N.H. is in the top at everything except binge drinking?

Old 11-20-2015, 07:08 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
I'm shocked at West Virginia. I would think it would be near the top. It's overall a depressed state and has the the number 1 party university in the country. And its near the bottom.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:06 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Look at new Hampshire!
I'm guessing this measures consumption via point of purchase. New Hampshire has much lower alcohol taxes than Massachusetts, which M*ssholes take advantage of by driving across the state line for beer/wine/liquor runs. IIRC, this is so well known that many liquor stores position themselves right on the state line.

Quote:
I'm shocked at West Virginia. I would think it would be near the top. It's overall a depressed state and has the the number 1 party university in the country. And its near the bottom.
Southern states in general consume way less liquor, because a lot of Southern Baptists are abstainers.

Another thing which affects the South (not so much West Virginia) is that blacks tend to drink less than white people...

Quote:
According to a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services survey, 56.7 percent of whites describe themselves as "current drinkers," compared to 42.8 percent of African Americans, 41.7 percent of Hispanics, 37.6 percent of Asians, and 47.6 percent of multiracial people. (Other studies consistently show Caucasians consuming more alcohol than other ethnic groups.) The biggest binge-drinkers, however, are Hispanics, at 25 percent, closely followed by 24.8 percent of Caucasians, 24.1 percent of multiracials, 19.8 percent of African Americans, and 11.1 percent of Asians.
Edit - also...

Quote:
Rates of alcohol use increase with levels of education, as 68.4 percent of college graduates and 35 percent of adults who didn't finish high school describe themselves as "current drinkers." Other studies consistently show higher drinking rates among the college-educated, for whom "drinking good wine and cocktails is a social thing," Ehrmann says, "and it's part of the business meetings and social networking that their careers often depend on." Brownell adds that many people learn to drink at college, where campus life "definitely promotes a culture of 'drink and be wild.'"

Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Also, alcohol is generally an expensive luxury. If your budget allows a wide range of delectable wines, rich beers, and fancy spirits, you are apt to choose these drinks more often.

On the other hand if your wallet barely affords you Four Loko, Night Train, and little plastic pints of Popov vodka, you may have less incentive to consume.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:28 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Looks like ND and NH are the winners. NY looks pansy in comparison. Besides, they probably drink Appletini's (and other assorted fruity drinks) there. lol

Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Why would Nevada be the winner, when it's clear N.H. is in the top at everything except binge drinking?
My bad. New Hampshire didn't stick out as much.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times

Quote:
Look at New Hampshire!
This is be misleading.

New Hampshire has very inexpensive state-run liquor stores. Whenever I'm within an hour's drive away, I run across the border to stock up on $24, 750 ml bottles of Bullet bourbon

This is common practice for many people in Boston area too. So, if these consumption stats are based on alcohol sales, the numbers would imply that NH consumes more than they do in reality.

This explains why NH's stats are similar to its neighbors on the binge drinking map. Note how Massachusetts wins here.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-20-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

This is be misleading.

New Hampshire has very inexpensive state-run liquor stores. Whenever I'm within an hour's drive away, I run across the border to stock up on $24, 750 ml bottles of Bullet bourbon

This is common practice for many people in Boston area too. So, if these consumption stats are based on alcohol sales, the numbers would imply that NH consume more than they do in reality.

This explains why NH's stats are similar to its neighbors on the binge drinking map. Note how Massachusetts wins here.
Yeah, NH has a reputation for being a liquor shopping destination for New Englanders. When you cross the border from MA into NH on I-93, for example, the large "Welcome Center" State Rest Area has an even larger state liquor store attached!

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1103...8i1664!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.