Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In Which USA City Could You Grab A Decent-Paying Job the QUICKEST?
Manteca, CA 1 20.00%
Miami, FL 1 20.00%
Austin, TX 3 60.00%
Los Angeles, CA 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,051 times

Advertisements

Please help me - I have a bachelor's degree in English but I have been homeless (without a job.. just living out of my car) for the past 4 months.

- I have an ex boyfriend (who I'm friends with) in South Florida
- My mom's side of the family (uncles, aunts, little cousins) is in Manteca (about an hour away from San Francisco and Sacremento)
- I previously am from Los Angeles (casual friends/acquaintances there)
- And everyone tells me that there are lots of jobs in Austin Texas (I've never been there before)
- Please note that I ONLY speak English ( I do not know any Spanish)

I need to land a job so that I can have money to afford a bedroom or studio or efficiency or apartment (and money to pay for basic living expenses).

I have done bg acting, substitute teaching, retail work, etc - but it is all part-time and minimum wage. Well, substitute teaching isn't minimum wage, but it is very infrequent: I only get called when a teacher is sick.

Aside from these things, I have previous experience as an assistant, administrative assistant, writer, and receptionist. I feel that I'm capable of doing a good job at a wide array of different positions. However, I do not know what type of positions to apply for. I am open to things I've never tried before. I feel that if one is intelligent, one is more than capable of learning on-the-job and becoming competent at the tasks quickly.
Anyhow, I mainly just go on job posting websites and apply to whatever I see open . . . I have applied to a wide array of different job openings and I still have not landed anything that pays me enough to get an apartment.

I've tried working at restaurants before, and I am truly not compatible with restaurant work. Also, I can't stand blood so I would not be a good fit for medical jobs.

WHERE DO YOU THINK I SHOULD MOVE TO THAT WOULD INCREASE MY CHANCES OF LANDING A DECENT-PAYING JOB (say, $3,000 per month)?

I went to interviews in LA but never got past the 2nd or 3rd round interviews.
Many jobs in south florida seem to be only $10-$12 per hour.
Manteca doesn't seem to have a lot going on for a single girl/woman in her 20s.
And Texas I have not tried before

What warm city in the USA (it needs to be warm because I will be sleeping in my car until I get enough money to afford a room) would increase my chances of landing a job FAST? (Me, personally - after reading up on my background and degree) And which city/state would I probably have the most luck landing a decent-paying job the fastest?

Please help me
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:16 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
austin has got more expensive but very good job market.I have been looking in the sunbelt and the job market is very good in the metro areas, not every metro is the same though .nobody should be sleeping in their car, you should be able to start work immediately and get decent housing even if its just weekly . do you have a 2010 car, what about uber, you dont even need a newer car for postmates or amazon flex, something until you find the job you are looking for

you can look monster or indeed or even craigslist in one day and see that these cities have very good job markets and very good cost of living. you should find something to get on your feet and then start looking for higher paying jobs. anybody can make money with postmates or uber or amazon flex nowadays

austin texas
plano texas
san antonio texas
dallas
tons of texas cities
raleigh nc
charlotte nc
salt lake city
oklahoma city
atlanta
nashville
florida has a very good job market , not much high paying but you can find a job for sure

Old 01-19-2016, 05:30 PM

I just reread your post , people always could use a support system during tough periods, if available, so maybe manteca to save some money but I have never heard of the town or know anything about job market there

Old 01-19-2016, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,051 times
It's a 2005. I've already tried those driving options - but they're unsafe for me. I got tickets and got into almost-accidents while using my car for jobs.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:06 PM

some people use bikes for postmates and delivery. When I was in high school and college and even after college I did everything from hospitality jobs, shuttle , bartending jobs, I actually made more from tips in hospitality and restaurant work then I did programming my first few years .

you should look on craigs list and find a room share in manteca near family or austin or raleigh/chapel hill or some colle town like that, find a decent job to start out at start applying for better jobs later on. I wouldnt recommend living in your car anywhere, it is dangerous and sharing an apartment is not that expensive at all, place like college town,s austin ,raleigh/chapel hill, boulder etc are safe and are your best bet for finding a job and inexpensive shared housing very quickly and great mass transit. college kids and post grads live like this all the time

Old 01-19-2016, 06:14 PM

easy roomate .com looks all aorund the country for roommatesbut most college towns and medium priced cities in the sunbelt have tons of places on craigs list Apartment Shares Roommates - Apartment Shares Roommate Finder

Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Look to where there's a shortage of job seekers versus basing it on outside temperature while living in a car. Cities like Minneapolis-St Paul, Omaha, Des Moines and Salt Lake City have unemployment rates at or below 3% which is at levels where there really is a shortage of many skilled workers. As others have pointed out finding a place to share (room for rent) is fairly inexpensive and pretty easy as all four cities I mentioned prior have large populations of college students looking to share space.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
OP, you seem to be your own worst enemy. I hear a lot of "I can't" in your posts.

Turning those "can't"'s into "can"'s is a lot easier than being homeless. You have some "can" in you, because you graduated from college.

There are cities across the country (particularly declining or stagnant ones) where you can find ridiculously cheap accommodations.

It doesn't really matter what city you go to (I would rule out Los Angeles for sure), but somewhere like Phoenix could be pretty easy for you to get on your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.