Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you want to live in and why?
Minnesota 53 50.96%
Wisconsin 51 49.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Newer portions of these suburbs can be considered 'cookie cutter', but so can portions of Milwaukee and Madison. I said what I said because you gave the impression that the TC is one big bland subdivision, but yet somehow, Milwaukee-a city with a population of over 500,000 in it's core, has none.
It definitely doesn't have as many plastic suburbs as MSP. Suburban sprawl is way more prevalent in The Cities than it is in Milwaukee or Madison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
If the MOA is the only thing that pops into your head when you think of Minneapolis then you have obviously never been there. And if you have been there and the only thing you did was go to the MOA, well damn you should have planned your trip better. Minneapolis blows Milwaukee away. Bigger, prettier, more things to do, better culture just to name a few things.
Yes, but without Minneapolis, Minnesota has NOTHING over Wisconsin in my opinion. Yes Minneapolis has culture, but so does the whole state of Wisconsin. I feel that the twin cities are very artsy and trendy, but I also feel that for an area its size, the options are limited. In other words, I love the area, but for some reason when I really think hard about it, I can't think of anything other than MOA or other shopping to do there. Sorry.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Yes, but without Minneapolis, Minnesota has NOTHING over Wisconsin in my opinion. Yes Minneapolis has culture, but so does the whole state of Wisconsin. I feel that the twin cities are very artsy and trendy, but I also feel that for an area its size, the options are limited. In other words, I love the area, but for some reason when I really think hard about it, I can't think of anything other than MOA or other shopping to do there. Sorry.
Well, Minneapolis has everything that you can think of. I guess that you just need to know where to find it, even though it is all over the place. You hit the nail on the head, though, the MOA is there for people like you. They have a fairly active advertising campaign towards other states and regions.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It definitely doesn't have as many plastic suburbs as MSP. Suburban sprawl is way more prevalent in The Cities than it is in Milwaukee or Madison.
Like most cities, the suburban sprawl began to really explode in the 50's, but a majority of what I think you are describing is fairly recent (last 10-15 years maybe, if that). Minneapolis down town does have a problem with tearing down anything historic in an attempt to modernize, but I think that you would find most of the Twin Cities and first few rings of (older) suburbs to be full of character. Then again, as I have been known to say on here, it is all a matter of opinion.

For the record, rural Minnesota and rural Wisconsin are pretty much the same if you really think about it; with the exception that Central and Southern Minnesota is more or less farm land.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Like most cities, the suburban sprawl began to really explode in the 50's, but a majority of what I think you are describing is fairly recent (last 10-15 years maybe, if that). Minneapolis down town does have a problem with tearing down anything historic in an attempt to modernize, but I think that you would find most of the Twin Cities and first few rings of (older) suburbs to be full of character. Then again, as I have been known to say on here, it is all a matter of opinion.

For the record, rural Minnesota and rural Wisconsin are pretty much the same if you really think about it; with the exception that Central and Southern Minnesota is more or less farm land.
The TC suburbs are pretty old and a lot of them developed in the post World War II era. As the TC have grown, the suburbs have crept further and further out and now you see TC exurbs in St. Croix County, WI.

Yes MN and WI are the same and I really like the Twin Cities. I'm just having fun with this. Going to school at Madison, Wisconsinite and Minnesotan students always had arguments over who was the superior state and it was all done out of fun.

But for the record, the Packers kick the Viqueens arse any day of the week and it's "Duck, Duck, Goose" not "Duck, Duck, Gray Duck."

As for the jackass that gave me a negative rep, he/she needs to get a life.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
I like both states. Which one is better for you will depend on you and what you like. If you'd like to live in a big city area, then Minneapolis-St. Paul is a great place to live. If you prefer large amounts of Great Lakes lake shore, then go with Wisconsin.

If jobs, career, and money weren't an issue, I suppose I'd go with Wisconsin based on its having more Great Lakes lake shore and my sense that it has a higher density of inland lakes and rivers not to mention the Wisconsin Dells area, but that's just me. I guess I'd rather be in a small Wisconsin town near Lake Michigan than a small inland Minnesota town, though I'd be attracted to Duluth.

Given my personal career situation, I am far, far more likely to end up in Minnesota.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
How would you guys describe the two states's geography?

Wisconsin--more Great Lakes lake shore, perhaps hilly, lots of lakes.

Minnesota--has the Lake Superior North Shore, expansive forests, Boundary Waters Canoe Area, many lakes, flat farmland in the southwest, much of the state is flat and woodsy and dotted with lakes.

Am I missing something about either of those two states?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Yes MN and WI are the same and I really like the Twin Cities. I'm just having fun with this. Going to school at Madison, Wisconsinite and Minnesotan students always had arguments over who was the superior state and it was all done out of fun.

But for the record, the Packers kick the Viqueens arse any day of the week and it's "Duck, Duck, Goose" not "Duck, Duck, Gray Duck."

As for the jackass that gave me a negative rep, he/she needs to get a life.
I am not a Minnesota native, so if that comment on the Vikings was directed at me, then it is a lost cause. I followed the Vikings simply because they were in my backyard. I am from Nor Cal and have always been, and will always be a Raiders fan--even if they continue to suck forever, they are my team.

On that note, I know that it is Duck, Duck, Goose! Where the Grey Duck came from, I dunno, but I have teased many a Minnesotan about it, though.

I think that the real rivalry between the states comes down to the Gophers and Badgers.

I have bashed the suburbs plenty in the Minneapolis/St. Paul forum, but ascetically, I don't think that the older suburbs are that grey, at least in comparison to what I was used to in California.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
If the MOA is the only thing that pops into your head when you think of Minneapolis then you have obviously never been there. And if you have been there and the only thing you did was go to the MOA, well damn you should have planned your trip better. Minneapolis blows Milwaukee away. Bigger, prettier, more things to do, better culture just to name a few things.

Actually I agree with you and have never been to the mall. I have been to Minneapolis however, numerous times. Previous posters are correct in that it is much more suburban oriented than Milwaukee. My overall view was that Minneapolis was kind of like Detroit in a way with all of the driving and burbs. However, Minneapolis is of course a lot whiter and lacks the "Thrill of the chase" that Detroit can offer it's visitors. Culture is just that--culture. Better or worse is in the eye of the beholder. I guess Minneapolis is just a little two much like a slice of plain white bread for me. Milwaukee has more grit and that is why I prefer it.
Now I do think Prince is a genius. And... I know he is from Minneapolis so you got that going babes.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Lakes and water for both Wisconsin and Minnesota:
StateMaster - Water area (most recent) by state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.