Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 06:45 AM

5 posts, read 4,548 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am really happy to be finally posting my own thread. I have been researching on city data for a free years now and it's the best! I am currently trying to figure out where I want to move. I am from RI and recently left RI for ME. In the short time that I have been here, I have found out ME is NOT for me. Now I am heading back to RI, although with no intention of staying long-term.
My main reasons for disliking both locations is the weather. I am completely over the snowmagedon that comes down on just about all of New England. Some background on me: I am in my late twenties, finally finishing my degree in Business. I have a fiancé and three cats. He takes classes online for medical specialties and does contruction and landscaping for now. We are looking for an affordable place ( I have no idea what my income will be once I find a job, but right now we are low income). I know that there must be a middle ground somewhere...the affordable areas we have found in New England are full of depressed,angry, and sometimes just downright nasty people (ONLY generally speaking...there are also some amazing people that are just struggling). I want to be somewhere warmer. I am looking for a wide variety of job opportunities. I love hiking and being outdoors. I'd also like to be on the outskirts of a city. If WA state didn't have so much rain and overcast days, I would probably consider it ( I visited during a week of sunshine and loved it...it was only missing palms). I know that it is north, but the western side of the state doesn't experience much snow and has moderate temps. California is ideal, but I don't know if we could make it there financially. I am rambling...any suggestions? I read an article that states Texas is the place to be in 2017.

Also* We are moving back in with our parents for a bit...saving money. If I find an ideal location, I will be applying to jobs there and also saving for my own relocation.

Last edited by Wherenextmissy; 02-13-2017 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 AM

27,226 posts, read 43,956,177 times
If you're looking for an affordable area with good job opportunities along with milder weather I would recommend Charleston, South Carolina. The Charleston area is booming with a very low unemployment rate (3.5%) and reasonable rental costs. If you like being outside the city but still close to jobs, etc. check out the suburbs of North Charleston, Summerville or Goose Creek.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Thanks, I've thought about South Carolina in the past. I'll have to check out those areas. I appreciate your suggestions.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Charleston is a great city, but keep in mind the traffic can be much heavier than one would expect given the natural features of the city. It is a large spread out place, but water/bridges can make getting around a bit of a chore. I would also check out Greenville and Columbia, SC - all three of the major SC cities are very nice.

Knoxville and Chattanooga, TN would also work. Low cost of living, and both have decent economies. Both are close to mountains, and Chattanooga has recently gotten a lot of buzz as an outdoor/up and coming young person's city. TN also has no state income tax, no personal property tax.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into TN as well. I have been to South Carolina, although never took a trip to TN. Mountains are a plus for me !

Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherenextmissy View Post
Hey everyone. I am really happy to be finally posting my own thread. I have been researching on city data for a free years now and it's the best! I am currently trying to figure out where I want to move. I am from RI and recently left RI for ME. In the short time that I have been here, I have found out ME is NOT for me. Now I am heading back to RI, although with no intention of staying long-term.
My main reasons for disliking both locations is the weather. I am completely over the snowmagedon that comes down on just about all of New England. Some background on me: I am in my late twenties, finally finishing my degree in Business. I have a fiancé and three cats. He takes classes online for medical specialties and does contruction and landscaping for now. We are looking for an affordable place ( I have no idea what my income will be once I find a job, but right now we are low income). I know that there must be a middle ground somewhere...the affordable areas we have found in New England are full of depressed,angry, and sometimes just downright nasty people (ONLY generally speaking...there are also some amazing people that are just struggling). I want to be somewhere warmer. I am looking for a wide variety of job opportunities. I love hiking and being outdoors. I'd also like to be on the outskirts of a city. If WA state didn't have so much rain and overcast days, I would probably consider it ( I visited during a week of sunshine and loved it...it was only missing palms). I know that it is north, but the western side of the state doesn't experience much snow and has moderate temps. California is ideal, but I don't know if we could make it there financially. I am rambling...any suggestions? I read an article that states Texas is the place to be in 2017.

Also* We are moving back in with our parents for a bit...saving money. If I find an ideal location, I will be applying to jobs there and also saving for my own relocation.
Texas could work but there is a wide variety of areas in the state.What areas of Texas would you possibly interested in?Texas is not as affordable as it was.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:

Take Texas off your list. The best hiking in Texas is in far west Texas where towns are small and jobs are sparse. Most of the jobs are in the Texas Triangle area where the climate and hiking both suck.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:05 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
I'm wondering if you would be open to Phoenix or Las Vegas, OP. Both may be worth a look.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:

From what I hear is that Texas is the new California. I visited Austin Texas 4 years ago and fell in love with its small town charm.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:45 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,353,068 times
Austin has long, hot Summers. Have you lived where there are 4 months in the 90s yet? That can get to ya too! Check all yearly climates before you make the long-term move. I cannot stand heat and humidity, at least not for more than a couple weeks. I'm leaving NJ for Maine and I cannot wait.

My niece has lived in NJ, CO, and FL for years at a time. She loves FL except in the Summer. She'd choose CO except near a city where the traffic was bad. I think NC and SC have some good climates (SC humid by the coast, though), and some of NC can be affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.