Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live out of these choices?
Alaska 24 26.67%
Hawaii 42 46.67%
Puerto Rico 6 6.67%
Guam 2 2.22%
American Samoa 2 2.22%
Northern Marinas 0 0%
U.S. Virgin Islands 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times

Advertisements

I couldn't live in Alaska (too cold and expensive, too wild the seasonal swings in daylight length),
or even Hawaii (right temp and seasonal daylight variation, but too remote and too expensive).
Other Pacific islands (just like Hawaii, only more so).
Puerto Rico (too few economic opportunities, I can't speak Spanish, plus there's hurricanes).

So by default, I'd have to choose U.S. Virgin Islands, even with its hurricanes and (probably) higher living expenses. At least Miami's only a 2 hr flight away, with most other East Coast and Gulf Coast airports being 3 hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 07:32 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I couldn't live in Alaska (too cold and expensive, too wild the seasonal swings in daylight length),
or even Hawaii (right temp and seasonal daylight variation, but too remote and too expensive).
Other Pacific islands (just like Hawaii, only more so).
Puerto Rico (too few economic opportunities, I can't speak Spanish, plus there's hurricanes).

So by default, I'd have to choose U.S. Virgin Islands, even with its hurricanes and (probably) higher living expenses. At least Miami's only a 2 hr flight away, with most other East Coast and Gulf Coast airports being 3 hours away.
The winter sun up here is really beautiful. I love winter light. Summers here are harder for me, though.

As far as expense goes, Alaska is not too far off what we were already paying in WA.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 10,021 times
Alaska, the plethora of wilderness and game up their is just too tempting. Me, I don't care about the cold, we get it every year.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:46 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Alaska and Hawaii. They are states and they offer the "American way of living". Puerto Rico would be third, it is a larger island and is on its way to being a state. It also has integrated into the American nation more than the others on the list have. I would not consider living anywhere else on that list.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM

680 posts, read 649,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
So no one else finds American Samoa atractive? It's not like you would be living in a hut.
It's decent but when compared to somewhere like Hawaii, the choice is easy for me. I could live a little higher up on the Big Island or Maui and experience mildly warm days with cool nights and if I wanted to warm up I could go down to the coast or cool down go up one of the volcanoes.

American Samoa is pretty but it's too hot(think unescapable...) and it isn't dramatic enough when put next to Hawaii. I do understand the appeal of Alaska, it's extremely rugged feeling and is almost like the essence of the wilderness.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:13 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Hawaii!

Old 12-10-2015, 10:54 PM

707 posts, read 750,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
It's decent but when compared to somewhere like Hawaii, the choice is easy for me. I could live a little higher up on the Big Island or Maui and experience mildly warm days with cool nights and if I wanted to warm up I could go down to the coast or cool down go up one of the volcanoes.
Too cliché, though memories of watching the Stitch cartoons do make it tempting. One thing is, though I live right next to a bunch of volcanoes, I can't see myself living atop the tallest and most active one in the world. I'd absolutely love to visit though, who wouldn't.

Come to think of it though, I'd be out of place anywhere in the Pacific. I'm a desert human, and I don't think we have any desert territories anymore. My state was one 'till about 75 years before I came along. So I went for the territory with the next desirable attribute for me: remoteness.
Since I'm brown, I'd probably actually be more at home in the Carribean.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:48 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Too cliché, though memories of watching the Stitch cartoons do make it tempting. One thing is, though I live right next to a bunch of volcanoes, I can't see myself living atop the tallest and most active one in the world. I'd absolutely love to visit though, who wouldn't.

Come to think of it though, I'd be out of place anywhere in the Pacific. I'm a desert human, and I don't think we have any desert territories anymore. My state was one 'till about 75 years before I came along. So I went for the territory with the next desirable attribute for me: remoteness.
Since I'm brown, I'd probably actually be more at home in the Carribean.
You should Google the Ka'u Desert... it is on the Big Island and I believe the closest thing to a desert in the current territories.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisi...essert_688.jpg

Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 AM

707 posts, read 750,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
You should Google the Ka'u Desert... it is on the Big Island and I believe the closest thing to a desert in the current territories.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisi...essert_688.jpg
That looks eerily like Albuquerque. Looks remote too. That could work!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:26 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
That looks eerily like Albuquerque. Looks remote too. That could work!
I also believe it is mostly desert-like because of lava. I hope you don't mind lava
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.