Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can people aged 30+ enjoy big city life?
Yes 67 94.37%
No 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:02 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,698,562 times

Advertisements

Age makes no difference in whether you can enjoy big city life. That's a matter of personal preference.

Having children makes a huge difference though. Many urban public school systems are generally sub-par, difficult to navigate, or both -- which is why families frequently relocate to the suburbs. And because cities are often more expensive than suburbs -- especially the big coastal cities-- families frequently can't afford the space they need in cities. Solve the space and school problem, however, and even families can enjoy big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,321,279 times
I grew up in Chicago and it spoiled me for ever wanting to live in a quiet suburb. I just got so used to the city amenities that I don't think I could ever live without them. Right now I live in an inner ring suburb of Cleveland, just a ten minute walk from the city of Cleveland so I really am not in a typical suburban setting.

I don't think age has a single thing to do with it. It's all about what people want out of their surroundings and what they need. Labeling who leans toward what is just another one of those meaningless stereotypical descriptions people are so fond of bestowing these days.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:52 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,323,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Age makes no difference in whether you can enjoy big city life. That's a matter of personal preference.

Having children makes a huge difference though. Many urban public school systems are generally sub-par, difficult to navigate, or both -- which is why families frequently relocate to the suburbs. And because cities are often more expensive than suburbs -- especially the big coastal cities-- families frequently can't afford the space they need in cities. Solve the space and school problem, however, and even families can enjoy big cities.
This. It's not about age. In fact, there are more than a few stories I've heard of seniors who retire to cities because they don't have to drive everywhere and there are lots of cultural amenities in a compact area.

But having kids in the city can be hard. Schools. Childcare (expensive anywhere, but super pricey in most cities). Transportation (especially when they're too little to walk on their own). The additional space requirements. And being able to afford all that. Plus, no matter what people say, you just don't go out as much once you've had kids, so some of the perks of big city living no longer hold the same draw.

I have friends and family in their 30s and 40s who live in NYC, Chicago, LA, etc., with no kids who love it. Many of my friends who have kids, even those in their late 20s/early 30s, either have left or are considering leaving the city. Especially those who've had two or more kids.

Interestingly, several aren't moving to the suburbs, per se, but are opting for small cities where they can still enjoy some of the amenities they want (some walkability/transit, parks, arts, good food, entertainment), but with more affordable housing, better public schools, etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM

9,495 posts, read 16,388,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep-my Mom says this often and I doubt she'll ever live anywhere but the city. I also had an Aunt that lived in Boston and took the T into her 80s.

I lived and worked in the Boston area for a number of years. I use to take the Commuter Rail and the T at least 5 days a week. I never understood how a senior, could manage all the stairs in the subway. Half the time the escalators are broken, or I'm not even sure all stations have them. It's one of the worst transit systems for seniors, I have seen in this country. Then again I think the Boston subway is the oldest in the country. It just doesn't seem very accessible to the handicap and seniors. I was on the Red line and orange line this past summer, it looks like nothing has changed.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,194,459 times
Older people enjoy the city more than younger people. We have more money.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm 66 and have lived in some of the biggest cities in the world. I am now retired and living in a small city in Central Florida. It's nice enough here, but I'm bored. I miss going into a big city, and going in by train. That doesn't exist here at all. There is barely any bus service. There isn't really any big city life here, as Tampa and Orlando don't feel like big cities to me. They feel like big suburbs. I miss the more open minded, and live and let live type people in the big cities. I miss being able to walk anywhere, and not be tied to a car. I miss going to a theater or café and then walk off to some other venue. I guess I really like the feeling of not having to own a car, and all the expense that comes with them. A big city gives one that freedom, that is if they pick one of the few there is in this country.

So yes people of all ages can live in big cities, or at least on the outskirts of them. It depends on the person and their background. I foresee myself returning to a larger more practical Metro after this year. I tried this retirement bit, and I don't think I will ever be ready for it. It's just way to slow and conservative for this guy. Maybe by age 90 if I live that long, but not right now.
I'm 66 too. I retired "in place" four years ago. That is I had already been living near Center City Philadelphia since 1995 and never had any intention of leaving it for something/somewhere else. I was already living an amenties-rich life. Retiring means I enjoy that life even more.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 PM

352 posts, read 567,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That is I had already been living near Center City Philadelphia since 1995 and never had any intention of leaving it for something/somewhere else. I was already living an amenties-rich life
I'm living in Dallas, for now, and I truly miss Center City Philadelphia, Mummers Parades, South Street, Lorenzo and Sons pizza, Reading Terminal, Penn's Landing, Green Eggs Cafe, and just walking around Center City. Hopefully, we can get back to the Northeast, God-willing.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,839,289 times
Well thanks for the advice, everyone! Tomorrow I have a Skype interview with a recruiter in Chicago. Exciting!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 PM

352 posts, read 567,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well thanks for the advice, everyone! Tomorrow I have a Skype interview with a recruiter in Chicago. Exciting!
Everything will go well...you got this

Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 PM

737 posts, read 1,646,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not that 30's is old, but what I'm getting at is that big city life tends to appeal to and attract 20-somethings. So, I am just curious if people in their 30's, 40's and older can enjoy or prefer big city living. The whole idea of big city living seems to be marketed to young people. But at the same time, there are many young people who prefer quiet, suburban living.

Also, one of the reasons I'm asking this is because I have not lived in a large city since I was 23 and now I'm 31 and concerned if I'm going to be too old to move to a city like Chicago, Philly or DC, since I'm looking for jobs in those places as we speak.

What do you think?

I would say quite a few people who can afford to live in "Big Cities" for an extended period of time will typically be those who have been in their jobs for a while. Living in cities that are walkable and have many amenities usually is not cheap. Oh yeah, I'd say "older" people can definitely enjoy living in big cities!

Last edited by sandlapper; 12-08-2015 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.