Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:12 PM

371 posts, read 815,608 times

Advertisements

I was curious about something. From what I can gather, for New York City residents there seems to be a high value placed on being a native New Yorker (or at least being raised in the city).

A flip side of this seems to be a general skepticism, dislike or annoyance of "newbies," "transplants," or people who did not grow up in NYC, but have moved there recently, or later in life.

The thing I noticed is that this attitude seems to be far less prevelant in places like LA and San Francisco. I pick those places because, like NYC, they are very popular places to move, there is a constant stream of newcomers and because they are places where a good chunk of the city is made up of transplants.

Why a general dislike for newbies in NYC and an ambivalence for newbies in LA and SF?

I'm not judging, I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 PM

22 posts, read 57,499 times
Can't say that I've seen much proof of this in real life. New Yorkers are quite acceptive of everybody and I say this as an immigrant that has lived here for 15 years.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 PM

684 posts, read 1,818,870 times
Its not about disliking "transplants" or "newbies" its more about being able to adapt to our lifestyle here. There are many transplants that pick up and gel right in..and pick right up. Whether your a native or not in that regard isn't a big deal...Just dont become the family that wants to walk 6 across on the sidewalk

Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 PM

87 posts, read 204,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Its not about disliking "transplants" or "newbies" its more about being able to adapt to our lifestyle here. There are many transplants that pick up and gel right in..and pick right up. Whether your a native or not in that regard isn't a big deal...Just dont become the family that wants to walk 6 across on the sidewalk
LOL! I couldn't have said it better myself! Too many people move in to a hood type area, or a nightclub district, and complain about noise. Or they're complaining that their UWS doorman building looks "run down" because it's old.

There are PLENTY of quiet, dull suburbs full of quiet, dull people in the New York area if that's your thing! Don't move into the largest city in America and expect it to change to accommodate you!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM

22 posts, read 57,499 times
Quote:
That's hilarious, I know exactly what you mean.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkBorough View Post
LOL! I couldn't have said it better myself! Too many people move in to a hood type area, or a nightclub district, and complain about noise. Or they're complaining that their UWS doorman building looks "run down" because it's old.

There are PLENTY of quiet, dull suburbs full of quiet, dull people in the New York area if that's your thing! Don't move into the largest city in America and expect it to change to accommodate you!
Right...you have to know what your getting into and have realistic expectations. I think far too many people get caught up in the movie new york way of living and not the reality of how things really are. Native New Yorkers for the most part..have a better understanding of how things are, the "unwritten rules" etc.. Like I said..some transplants adjust and there are some who just dont and they stick out like a sore thumb

Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTimeless View Post
That's hilarious, I know exactly what you mean.
LOL ! You know we have ALL run into that family that wants to stretch 6 deep across the sidewalk then get mad at you because your trying to pass !

Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
There are a handful of posters here to like to disparage people who move here from elsewhere by labelling them "transplants" and saying they hate them, etc. Frankly, I find it really small-minded and boring. I wonder how they would feel if they went to a new place and they were hated simply because they were new. (Junior high, anyone?)

I have no problem with complaints about specific behavior. But it is really closed-minded to sterotype all the newcomers and to write post after post about how much they hate them.

I have in fact noticed it quite a bit more frequently on here in the past few months and if I were going to draw the same types of conclusions these posters are drawing, I could watch their native New Yorker behavior on this board and then say that native New Yorkers are small-minded, provincial and intolerant.

Of course I wouldn't do that because I am capable of recognizing that a few loud mouthed posters on here do not represent all native New Yorkers.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I was curious about something. From what I can gather, for New York City residents there seems to be a high value placed on being a native New Yorker (or at least being raised in the city).

A flip side of this seems to be a general skepticism, dislike or annoyance of "newbies," "transplants," or people who did not grow up in NYC, but have moved there recently, or later in life.

The thing I noticed is that this attitude seems to be far less prevelant in places like LA and San Francisco. I pick those places because, like NYC, they are very popular places to move, there is a constant stream of newcomers and because they are places where a good chunk of the city is made up of transplants.

Why a general dislike for newbies in NYC and an ambivalence for newbies in LA and SF?

I'm not judging, I'm just curious.

I can't speak for the native people from L.A but as a native here, it's not really a dislike in a sense. It's more of a "earn that" title. People throw around the word "New Yorker" too much, especially when people try to come here just for status . I'm not talking about the taxpayer NYer (Duh if you pay taxes and crap you're LEGALLY considered a NYer) I'm talking about the people who just moved here, don't really know the city AND think it's like the movies.

I don't care for those people but I just don't and I won't ever consider people that just want status, New Yorkers. Like Beyonce', she once said "I'm a New Yorker" Um, no you're not. Just because you live here (or have Condos/Apartments) doesn't mean you automatically qualify. It's not a title, being a NYer is a way of life.

Whenever I move to London I'll be a New Yorker living in London. It stays with you. It's a tan that you can't lose. I can go on but I'm not sure if some will take this the wrong way. . .

Also, I have nothing against people who weren't born here. I don't dislike hipsters or Transplants. I dislike shallow people and snobs.

Quote:
Right...you have to know what your getting into and have realistic expectations. I think far too many people get caught up in the movie new york way of living and not the reality of how things really are. Native New Yorkers for the most part..have a better understanding of how things are, the "unwritten rules" etc.. Like I said..some transplants adjust and there are some who just dont and they stick out like a sore thumb
AGREED!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 PM

87 posts, read 204,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Whenever I move to London I'll be a New Yorker living in London. It stays with you. It's a tan that you can't lose.
Totally! And Londoners here are Londoners living in New York. But let's face facts...it isn't the transplants who grew up in London or San Francisco or Philadelphia that we mind. No, it's people who have chosen our home to be their FIRST URBAN EXPERIENCE EVER even though many (not all) aren't really cut out to live in a place that's this loud, crowded, diverse and expensive!

Then.. staying here becomes some sort of quest for a lot of 'em. They can't go back to East Overshoe, no way! They're gonna show us!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.