U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 07:31 AM

158 posts, read 81,114 times

Advertisements

Hello, My wife and I are both late 20s and have become frustrated with our current lack of career opportunities as well as the somewhat boredom of our area. About 6 months ago on a hunch, I bought an RV and began fixing it up for travel. We have never lived outside of GA however have made short visits across the country and realize it is too big to stay complacent. Both of us have bachelors degrees which after 5 years we have yet to actually be able to make use of.

My question to those of you who have moved before, what is the best approach to finding a new home? Two ideas I had were to either apply for jobs 40k+ across the country and then move to wherever we find opportunity first, however I fear this could land us in areas we don't really want to be. The other idea was to travel in the RV to various areas I have seen posted around this forum while working temp/PT jobs, then apply to jobs within the areas we like.

I am open to all advice/criticism/ideas. Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 09:50 AM

63,208 posts, read 88,740,266 times
What are the areas you don't want to live in?

Old 12-06-2015, 09:57 AM

7,211 posts, read 7,849,266 times
It seems like y'all don't have the money and/or patience to stay where you are and just travel to experience new areas. Which is fine...it's not the best way to get to know the country it's just the most common option. So, imo, it comes down to how tolerant and flexible you guys are. I realize you haven't been around too much, but do you think you guys are pretty laid-back about where you live and could make most cities work for a year or two? If so I wouldnt be afraid to just base your decision on research and where you can land a job in a city that seems to meet your criteria on paper. Once you move you're not locked in forever. I know I personally would be fine for a few years in probably 100 different cities in the US so that's my perspective.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:35 AM

Thank you both. We are open to whatever at this point, however we do not want to live anywhere too dangerous.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:44 PM

7,211 posts, read 7,849,266 times
Hmm. Ok sounds like y'all aren't too picky. So just research some areas that would be good for you based on your career options and we can help you narrow down those choices based on your other preferences. Or...just apply and see where the chips fall.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,141 posts, read 43,891,787 times
The grass is greener in PNW (Pacific Northwest, west side of Cascades) MILD climate, 200+ days / drizzle / yr in many locales. No AC required in mild summers (tho most people have AC). Summers are GREAT and lots to do!
Eastern WA and OR is not greener than ATL. (grey winters, but drier than We_tside of states.
3 west side counties control the vote of each state (+/-)

Pick your poison:
Oregon has 9% income tax, but no sales tax and WEIRD political system (and is quite 'group think' as a state)
Oregon is a BEER and food truck state (and depressed timber economy)
Rents are HIGH in Portland, and pay is low, jobs are taken because it is 'trendy' to live there
Willamette Valley (Corvallis / Salem, Eugene...) is nice, but foggy and no beach / coast (1 hr west)

WA has no income tax, but 9% sales tax (tho you can live on the WA southern border and shop in Oregon (no sales tax))
Housing in Seattle is HIGH
Traffic is SLOW

WA is a coffee and wine state (with plenty of micro brews)
It has a pretty broad economy and job centers (Vancouver, Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Bellingham...)
HIGH cost of owning a profitable business that has to have EXPENSIVE capital assets (i.e. Manufacturing). (a computer consulting company is GOOD to have in WA... leased equip and contract workers, LOW overhead).

PNW can include ID and MT and Northern CA (all of which have options for you, but not as green as We_tern WA and OR.)

I would get a local google phone number, and make a few $89 flights (that won't buy much gas for an RV, even my 22 mpg RV, I could not get to Louisiana on $89 fuel!) You want to get FURTHER than that!!
The RV is not a bad idea, but bring money for fuel / repairs.
I use this quite often, FreeCampgrounds.com
I luv traveling in WY and SD where many city parks are free and some have RV hookups. (NOW is NOT a good time of yr to travel in SD and WY.

What are your hobbies / interests / degrees / food and climate preference (are you afraid of snow / tornadoes / volcanoes / tsunami / Floods / deserts (cactus) / rain )?

Do you need medical access?
Will you be pursuing more edu?
Any kids coming along (schools)?

Personally... if I did it over again... (we left 'home state of Colorado for career at age 27)

Income tax free state with relatively high pay (WA) was VERY good to me during career yrs
Living on border of WA, but near OR (5 minutes) was great (for access to culture / ~20 colleges / rare car / machine parts / antiques. WONDERFUL gardens (flower and veggie). And occasional tax free shopping. the PDX airport (10 min) is superb, especially if you commute to Asia and CA (as I did).
I always found plenty of jobs / work; But that is not the case for all. (I have various skilled trade certs and a few degrees (5) (engineering / business / AG)) I REALLY liked working nights to have all day everyday free time. (we homeschooled kids and built houses in free time).

Working internationally was VERY beneficial to income and intellect / cultural experience for kids. I would do that again in a heartbeat
(I love to travel more than be home).

If you are into outdoor recreation the PNW is tough to beat.
If you are into football rather than futball, you are better off in the SE USA.
One thing I GREATLY appreciate about PNW is No noticeable discrimination. (SE USA turns my stomach, STILL).

Cool (50F) nights in summer are another tangible benefit (as are fresh Salmon and wild berries)

Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,528,656 times
Red State or Blue State?
Weather? Can you take winter?
Culture?
Urban, suburban, town or rural?
Cost of living?
Type of employment?
Good for singles or families?
Transportation?

Many variables for you to think about.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:57 AM

Thank you all for the wealth of information, especially you StealthRabbit. I actually have already done some checking out of the PNW. It's actually what gave my wife and I the idea to leave small town GA. We flew across the country for our honeymoon and rented a car which we drove up the coast from SF to portland to Seattle. We did it too fast to really enjoy it fully but it was enough to open our eyes to the country.

Anyway we are not very picky, but mostly just bored where we are at and lack of job opportunites. I too have several skilled trade certs as well as a bachelor of science in psychology. My wife has a BS in childhood development. We want kids soon but want established carreers first. Homeschooling is an option we have considered. As for climate, not too cold preferably, but we are tired of hot And humid GA summers so a cold winter might be refreshing. That's a big reason for wanting to leave. I got tired of soaking my clothes in sweat every time I went outside. Also the insects are a tad anoying.

I guess our only criteria is it has to be 2nd ammendment friendly and not too extreme in weather. We are red but can tolerate blue

Thank you all for being kind, supportive, and informative.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:07 PM

650 posts, read 677,279 times
Look for jobs then move. What degrees do you guys have? Then maybe we can suggest areas best for that career area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.